"Discovery"

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: "Discovery"

Postby Owehn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 am

I think that some sort of rules outlining which bits of d'ni history we're allowed to invent would be a good idea. However, it's plausible that the GoW, or explorers in general, will not be allowed to produce "discovered" Ages at all. For this reason, I suggest only working on explorer-written Ages until and unless we receive specific and official word that we are allowed to do otherwise.
Owehn

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:03 am

I'm totally for the list of rules, and I think the sooner we come up with it the better. This way we can show Cyan that we understand the issues they're worried about and want to avoid them as much as they do. If they think we are responsible and trustworthy enough to draft our own rules about not breaking their rules, then maybe they'll let us make "discovery" Ages. Otherwise, they might just think it best to not allow us to make them.
Jennifer_P

Postby Pryftan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 am

Do you want to work on the rules in a more live environment (i.e. Pub) or is this fine? And if we want to discuss it here, should I start another thread for it? I mostly ask because there's now like nineteen threads talking about this general topic =E
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:11 am

Might as well start a new thread here (that's where we'll end up discussing it anyway. ;) ) And then we can continue debating about "discovery Ages in this thread.
Jennifer_P

Postby belford » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:21 am

The rule I'd like to see (and, really, the rule I intend to follow) is "if you feel the need to write fanfic, write fanfic". This is true whether it's a piece of text or an Age. If I make up some D'ni history, I don't expect Cyan to pay attention or stay consistent with me. Same goes for a D'ni lamp, building, character, or piece of territory.

(I have, of course, committed Uru fanfic before. As recently as yesterday, in cooperation with Subterranean Restorations: http://www.vortmax.org/subrest/index.php?page=project8 . I don't have any great plans right now for creating D'ni Ages... but I may continue inventing little snippets of D'ni culture, both on the forums and in Ages.)

EDIT-ADD: Sorry, didn't see that the new thread was up when I posted this. Replies there, please.
belford

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:20 pm

I understand your sentiments guys, and i some of the ages u guys hav thought up seem reely kewl... but, something about this just doesn't sit well with me. building D'ni made ages just seems like we're the DRC, and we "Discovered a new area of the cavern" i just feel like we have millions of age possiblilites, and u guys want to pass those opportunities up to create "debatable" ages. I don't mean bad ages, they might b beautiful, but ages that could b counted as somthing cyan could've possibly planned in the future. anyway, u don't hav to listen to me, but I just think we should be concentrating on creating new ages.
Justintime9

Postby Pryftan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:29 pm

Check out the topic "Rules for Age Content", Justin. I'm seeing if we can't enumerate some rules that would help us avoid the kind of scenario you mentioned.
Pryftan

Postby Lehm » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:06 pm

I think it's true we need to stay as far away from d'ni history as possible. Doesn't mean we can't have discovered ages. One way is to create a new character to have written them. A character similar to Atrus, that wrote their own ages. Then the story in these ages would be completely independent of the d'ni history. So I think a general guideline should be to forget anything that remotely has anything to do with d'ni history.
Lehm

Postby Pryftan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:07 pm

*goes to hire a sheepdog to herd people into "Rules for Age Content"*
Pryftan

Postby Goofy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:14 pm

ummm the D'ni history, just like the human history doesn't have every single individual accounted for. Think about caesar how many of his lower officers or soilders did things that they never got credit for, but however caesar did get the credit.

The same could be said for the D'ni that cyan has in the main storyline. I doubt all of the big wigs in the guilds did all thier own work. How many of them used assistence to do the little things. I doubt the D'ni were above such things as using others work and taking credit for it.
How many D'ni people were around just before the fall or during the fall. Some could of been on other ages doing whatever. Also how many D'ni writers were accually in the city and of these individuals what were thier degree of skill in the art?

I do agree that we should tread lightly when it comes to the main storyline or just completely avoid it, but as I've said above there are other D'ni that can be created. The simple true is that someone could create a low level member of any of the guilds or any D'ni as a character for thier storyline. I doubt cyan is bothering with each and every D'ni that exsisted or survived.

Hopefully when cyan gives more information we don't have to alter storylines all that much. It would be smart just to work on discovered ages for now though and when more information is obtained, then we may change if we can or want to.
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Previous

Return to General Discussion