The Power Of Blender

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

The Power Of Blender

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:09 am

In the first place, I thought I should append (hide) this info in/to the Blender Says Freedom thread - but then I decided to start a new one.

When Blender 2.5 came out, I thought: "Dang, I began to come familiar with this old 2.49 version, why the heek did they completely change it?"
But as I learned to work with 2.5, I began to understand why it was necessary. I opens so many new possibilities for creating cool scripts, because the Python API is now really much more straight - and it allows to completely do nearly everything which was a pain to program earlier.

As an example for this, let me just put a reference to Bart Crouch's cool "Loop Tools" here, which shows the true Power of Blender:
https://sites.google.com/site/bartiuscrouch/looptools
(By the way, if you already got 2.57, there's no need to download the scripts - they are already integrated. You just need to enable them.)

Watch the video, or play a bit with them in Blender. Aren't they sweet? I assume they can be a great help in Age modeling.
Additionally, there's a version for Blender 2.49 as well on that site - which might help Age Writers currently still working with the old version (while waiting for PyPRP 2).

[Please feel free to mention other cool scripts you stumbled accross in this thread - I know they are so many exciting new functions which make Age Building easier.]

And if you want to get a first insight into how "programming in Blender with Python" works, or looks like - here's a really nice video tutorial, where you can watch the autor developing a script:
http://www.blendercookie.com/2011/06/02 ... in-python/

Happy experiencing the Power of Blender,
tach
tachzusamm

Return to General Discussion