Annabelle & the Harvester... or a plea to keep alcugs sha

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Annabelle & the Harvester... or a plea to keep alcugs sha

Postby Annabelle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I talked to an alcugs shard admin lately and he told me considering to maybe close his shard (alcugs) and reopen a new one (MOSS).

I told him not to do so for a simple reason: the MOSS shards aren't ready. They are more than buggy. You have to have good heart condition to play on a MOSS shard, you never know when you will suddenly drop down thru the floor.

Here is a fascinating story...and a true one most infuriating I must tell.

With Annabelle2, my newest avvie on TLCA shard, I decided to visit Er'cana. I touched the cloth at the far end of the canyon near the Harvester initial position. All goes well. I climb the ladder and run to the levers and buttons ... fatal error...I went thru the floor.

I did try to spawn somewhere else in the age...typing /spawn, I spawned somewhere else...but what the use I forgot: since I was inside a subworld (Harvester) I wouldn't be able to find back anything solid, I had no choice but to Relto out (Relto out take 1).

Coming back by the cloth link, I climbed back the Harvester ladder. This time no running LOL. I will walk slowly. So far so good, I touch the middle lever, it is working. Now the Harvester is unblocked, I touch the right side lever to make the Harvester go forward. Here what happened: the Harvester did go forward...but I didn't follow it: I headed real fast to my Relto. Relto out take 2.

Coming back to Er'cana by the cloth link. I see the Harvester is not in its initial position. Great! At least, it moved. I run the whole canyon touching the 3 remaining clothes in that section.

The Harvester is right where it should be: at the terminal. I climb the ladder, walk slowly toward the levers and buttons...now what ?!?!?... the draw bridges are up. I tried all the buttons and levers but nothing happened until I touched the go forward lever (the right one). Magically, I'm warped with the Harvester to its initial location and we travelled...finally LOL the whole canyon together. At the end, at the terminal, the Harvester stops and I go thru the floor yet again LOL. Relto out take 3.

Coming back by the cloth link, I link near the terminal front, climbing back the Harvester, I see that the draw bridges are horizontal. I go very slowly (I don't want to fall back to my Relto). I cross the bridge, go near the lever, cross my fingers, touch the lever...hurray!!! I just travel like usual to the top room. At the end, I'm expecting the worse but it doesn't happen. I turn myself and walk toward the railway. I'm thinking to save my position by touching the 5th cloth before attempting any fool thing.

The fool thing here would be simply to push back the lever and walk backward to let the cart go back to the Harvester stayed at the terminal. So with that nifty idea in mind, I walk...again another hole. At least this time, I'm just inside the wall. Problem is that I cannot get out of there. I tried all the angles possible and all the possibilities (walk, run, side-step, walk-jump, run-jump and double jump).

Desperately, I touched my Relto book and reltoed out. Relto out take 4. At least this time, it was my intend even though I wasn't happy to do it.

Back to Er'cana thru the cloth link. Back down at the terminal, I climbed back the harvester, I touched the call back button and...I fell thru the floor. Relto out take 5. I was about to cry LOL.

Back to Er'cana thru...yeah you know the story LOL... The cart is back and the draw bridges horizontal. Well Well... I go back up. I'm thinking of a strategy: this time I will avoid the hole up there by moving my avatar to the left a little and do a run-jump when the cart will stop up there. The run-jump will enable me to go over the "hole" to solid safe grounds beyond.

That would have been a good idea but not inside a MOSS shard. I should have thought of that obviously !!!! I moved my avvie to the left while the cart was moving up to its upper terminus. I ended up moving to my Relto instead... Relto out take 6.

Back to Er'cana. Calling back the cart. Back to my Relto thru the hole in the floor LOL. Relto out take 7. I didn't know how to react at that moment...crying or laughing?!?!?

What do you know??? I was back to Er'cana for the ?? time in a row ...ahh nevermind, I already lost my mind between Er'cana and my Relto, I don't want to know the number.

Ok now this time I won't move until the cart is at the upper terminal, at least I know I won't visit my Relto on that lenght LOL.

Once up there, I have a terrible feeling. Now what can I do? LOL This is incredible. That is a simple step to do in our Er'cana journey usually. Everyone did it: you turn, you walk, you press the cloth et voilà! Yes that should be as easy as that.

I turned my avatar, aim the railway, wipe my hands, take a deep breath, did a run-jump...hurray! I made it. I survived the Harvester. I have never been so pleased to touch that silly 5th cloth.

Then... it was business as usual LOL: I walk, I climb down a ladder, I walk, I climb down a ladder, I walk a little thru the tunnel pipe, I fell thru the floor, I relto out (take 8 here LOL). I redid the same process, walked slowly to avoid the hole in the floor, journey to the 6th cloth, just right after, I fell again thru the floor (relto out take 9).

To play on a MOSS shard, you cannot be faint hearted.

Did I mentionned that the nexus has a hole as well as the GZ antichamber, Ahnonay too?? I might have forgot some ages like Gahreesen, Teledahn, Kadish, Gira, Kemo, the hood, Kirel... LOL. Everywhere I founded holes, if you are fast enough you can spawn. We cannot re-spawn like the alcugs shards allow ("/a" doesn't work) so you must type down the whole sequence ("/spawn") and find yourself in a new spot sometime very far from the place you fell thru the floor.

So...always considering setting up a MOSS shard ???? Take that example into account.

I don't know if it is because of PhysX engine used in MOSS shards or the poor coding of MOULa but MOSS shards are acting oddly, at least the only one I played on: TLCA. Don't get me wrong here!!! I enjoy really much TLCA shard. I enjoy MOSS environment even if it is buggy. I found some gems inside the TLCA shard that I cannot reach in MOULa or in URU CC. I just want the alcugs shards to remain as well.

I had a chat with Kaelis and Deledrius one day on the Writers IRC channel and we came to the conclusion that physic benders which I am will always adapt themselves to the environment in which they are thrown. This is just what happened. I found new ways to explore the collisions and the physics in general with this new type of shard: MOSS shard. I explored already new grounds that weren't reachable in MOULa unless I was under the Fun House effect or after walking over collision walls for about 20-30 minutes. In MOSS, I can reach them real easily.

So whether I'm in MOULa, URU CC (alcugs) , Until URU or MOSS, I developped ways to approach the physics. And with the upcoming Dirtsand GoW shard, you bet I will adapt myself to that 5th "version" of the same game: URU.

So this is more a plea to keep diversity around. MOULa isn't the best URU version. URU CC isn't the best URU version. Until URU isn't the best URU version. MOSS isn't the best URU version. And...Dirstand isn't the best URU version neither even though I didn't try it yet. Each has a good side and a bad side.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Re: Annabelle & the Harvester... or a plea to keep alcugs s

Postby Sirius » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:10 am

It looks like Havoc physics were a lot better for games as Uru.

Annabelle wrote:So this is more a plea to keep diversity around. MOULa isn't the best URU version. URU CC isn't the best URU version. Until URU isn't the best URU version. MOSS isn't the best URU version. And...Dirstand isn't the best URU version neither even though I didn't try it yet. Each has a good side and a bad side.

Uru versions with Havoc are generally behaving quite fine... Well, of course PhysX is better if you want to climb to places you're not supposed to ;) . But you rarely have holes in the floor, and colliders looks more natural than in MOULa.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 am

Wow, is MOULa seriously that buggy? Well, I guess this means a lot of work to get it to the same level as POTS+Alcugs 8-)

Don't worry, I got your message... :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 am

The bugs are not so much caused by PhysX vs Havoc but by the wrong PhysX SDK version with which MOULa clients are built. MOULa ages are designed for PhysX 2.6.0. The earliest SDK that can be obtained from nVidia is 2.6.4.

And to think that I had the correct 2.6.0 SDK back when it was owned by Ageia but deleted it... :roll:
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:22 am

I may be wrong but will this site help - http://files.aoaforums.com/D304-Ageia%2 ... ivers.html
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 am

Wamduskasapa wrote:I may be wrong but will this site help - http://files.aoaforums.com/D304-Ageia%2 ... ivers.html

Those are the drivers, not the full SDK.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 am

D'Lanor wrote:And to think that I had the correct 2.6.0 SDK back when it was owned by Ageia but deleted it... :roll:

No backups left? Argh^^

Did the behaviour really change so much for some minor version releases?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Annabelle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Wow so it is just a problem of physX version?

It will be a hard thing to repair all the holes then...

You should see how many bugs I revealed in TLCA shard already. I posted them all under the bugs section putted by MercAngel on his forum at this link: http://atlantis.servegame.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=13

And I forgot some because I just ran into them each 2 or 3 minutes. I have to be fast on the "/spawn" command on TLCA I must say :lol: :lol: :lol:
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Return to General Discussion