Object properties script?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Branan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:24 pm

1) Those will be tabbs, if I can figure out how to code that in BPY. This is just a mock-up of the design.

2) I'll take a look at alcconfig.py and see what's there

3) I'l' send him a PM about that

4) I was planning on having this just set the values where we currently set them, in Blender's properties page. The problem with this is that changing from an object to a region and back re-sets to default settings, with no undo. Ideas here would be welcome.

5) The objects/colliders have all the settings. Regions don't, since we decided that they really only need to be either in one place or movable. I may actually get rid of that, since from what I can see, all regions are made dynamic anyway in the current script

6) I've got grand plans for the add page... But it'll take a lot of work. The final goal is to have a page that allows someone to add blender primatives with some default settings, as well as create an instance of any object already in the blend file, with any of the default settings sets. This page will also be where the book is first created, where pages are added, and where regions are added.

Hope that cleared some things up. I was hoping to hear from someone who'd done some work on the plugins already :)
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Branan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm the king of double posts :) I just don't like editing a post to have two seperate ideas in it. It messes with my train of thought.

I was thinking about the way settings are currently stored, and remembered that blender has text buffers that are automatically saved with the blend file. Why not create a text buffer named PRP_ for each object, and store the settings from both the object and region pages. That way, if someone accidently switches something to a region, they don't lose all of their custom settings. Besides that, I've read several threats about re-writing the current script system... perhaps now is a good time to do that, with the GUI integrated from the ground up.

The only problem is that there would be no compatibility if we switched to text buffers. Every object in every age would have to be re-set from scratch. Of course, with a nice GUI, that's not too bad.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby T_S_Kimball » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 am

[quote="PaladinOfKaos"]4) I was planning on having this just set the values where we currently set them, in Blender's properties page. The problem with this is that changing from an object to a region and back re-sets to default settings, with no undo. Ideas here would be welcome.

Can you explain the difference between a Region and an ordinary Blender object? From what I can see, it's just an extra object in layer 2 with special properties set.

In regards to the text buffers idea, I know of a different Python Blender project that replicated another system's building GUI. It's able to save the object properties as you switch, but don't know how that's done. The objects are also all in layer 1, if that actually makes a difference.

If curious, I can ask the author about it or just link to the page (it's a GPL'd SourceForge project).

--TSK
Timothy S. Kimball | The Kind Healer -- http://sungak.net
Pahts Shells 420 {Basic layout - 70%; Text for books - 20%}
T_S_Kimball

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:56 am

Really, there is no difference. To blender, all the things you add, right down to the book and pages are just objects. All the difference is in the logic properties that you type in or are created by an "add" with the script. The important thing is that the different types are then treated differently by the export script as a result. So yes, you can "add a region" or you can make a cube and add the appropriate properties. (actually, the script also sets blender's drawtype to "wire" when it creates a region. you can find the setting in the object panel (F7))
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Branan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:10 am

Yup. To blender there's absolutely no difference. It's all in how the scripts interpret it, and turn it into an entry in the PRP file.

Speaking of regions, I'm going to get rid of the "(dynamic|static)" and "pinned" buttons on the region control. From what I see, all regions have been dynamic objects, and turning off kPinned messes with regions (either they're disabled, or they've fallen through the world). I'm going to keep "start disabled", though.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Branan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:18 am

we've got a script development journal now, so I'm going to go through this and pull out the decisions made, and the reasoning (or lack thereof B) ) behind them, and add the first entry. The same goes for the stuff in the col_flags4 thread. I'd like to keep these open, with the journal space just being where we add things that we've more or less definatively figured out / decided. Though if people prefer, we can move everything over there.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Branan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:29 pm

Alright. Any preference to a "dynamic" button, or a "(static|dynamic)" toggle for regions? Since static regions work, and not having a coordinate interface probably makes the region spend less time in calculations, I'm adding that back in. I can do either type. Whichever you guys think would be best.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:57 pm

I'd vote just the button. (since there only two choices now) and since the regions currently generated by the script are dynamic by default, It could be a "static" button. (and the tooltip would mention saving cycles at the expense of mobility)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Branan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:01 pm

sounds good. I'll also add text boxes for Python script names to both the object/collider and the region propeties pages. I knew there was something important I was missing...
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:20 pm

with the current plugin features there is no need for a script field in the regions controls, since only clickable objects currently call their own scripts, and there is no option in your gui to make regions clickable. (which is reasonable) in the future regions may be used as ObjectInVolumeDetectors that directly call scripts, but that is (as far as I know) not currently supported by the plugin.
Nadnerb

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion