Object properties script?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Branan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:55 pm

alright. I'll drop the script from regions, and make the script link in objects only show up when clickable.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Trylon » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:08 pm

Hi, I'm reading this thread with interest, and noticed that you guys are into experiments with regions.

I'm having a little issue with regions that I need to have some tests done for:

As you might or might not know, in some cases footstep regions that are within other footstep regions do not work correctly. In those cases, the diffferent footstep sound caused by that region only works when the avatar touches the edge of those regions.

I have not yet seen any differences between regions that have this problem and regions that have not, that could explain that. Mabe you'd be willing to check into that, and see if it happens less (or preferably not at all) with different settings, like static/dynamic - different col_flags etc.

The current default settings are equal to that of many (if not all) of the footstep regions in cyans ages if I recall correctly. But maybe we're missing something.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Aloys » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:44 am

[quote="trylon"] As you might or might not know, in some cases footstep regions that are within other footstep regions do not work correctly. In those cases, the diffferent footstep sound caused by that region only works when the avatar touches the edge of those regions.

Ho, that might explain the troubles I've had with some of the Ahra footsteps regions. I thought nested/overlaping regions might be buggy because I've never seen that in Cyan Ages; but I did some tests a while ago and it worked fine.
There is definitely something we are missing here though.
(Sorry for the slight off topic drifting :unsure: )
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:03 am

[quote="Aloys"] I thought nested/overlaping regions might be buggy because I've never seen that in Cyan Ages;

Actually, in the cleft they are overlapping - import it, and see for yourself..
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Branan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:32 am

Well, I'd say the first thing to do would be to compare the settings of the Cleft regions that overlap to the regions that we create... It could be that one of those "No effect" col_flags4 settings actually does something with overlapping regions.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Branan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:59 pm

Moving back to the original topic... I've removed the script box from the region properties page/screen/whatever. I think it's time to start discussing the Add screen. This is going to be the most complex, and if we can manage to find an easy-to-use way to implement what I'd like to do, that would be awesome. So - is everyone ready to get started?

Good.

First, a little bit about how blender adds stuff:
When you add an object, Blender creates two things: a mesh and an object that points to that mesh. Both of those things have their own name, and both can be duplicated. Normally, both the object and mesh have the same name, based on the primitive you used to create that object. Any number of objects can reference the same mesh. When you duplicate an object with , blender creates a new object, copies the mesh, and attaches the new object to th enew mesh. Blender also has an duplicate, which creates a new object and attaches it to the same mesh. Changes to one of the objects effect the other.

Now, what I'd like to do is create a nice GUI that allows the naming of the mesh and the object before it's created. Two text boxes, mesh name and object name. There should also be a toggle - create new object or create duplicate object. Now here's the important part. Rather than just having the Blender primatives, include a list of all meshes currently created. This allows the creation of duplicates from a central location, without the need to go hunting through the level for the original. There should also be a box to select the page to add the object to, and a (region|object) toggle right from the offset.

There will, of course, be controls to add pages, and create the book if one doesn't exist.

Hopefully, that made sense... I just wanted to get it out in writing for others to look at before I get started on the SVG... No sense doing a lot of work for nothing. This one needs lots of comments. I know it's code-able, but will it be use-able?
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:09 am

I'm afraid I'm not understanding something, Paladin. Perhaps you can clarify the following.

When the toggle button is set to "create new object", why list the existing objects? The only new item I would want to create are either the Blender primitives (e.g. cube/plane/lamp) or the PRP Plasma items (climbing region/spawn point/book/page).

And vice versa - when set to "create duplicate object", why list the Blender primitives or PRP Plasma items? The only items I would want to duplicate would be the existing objects in the scene.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Branan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:18 am

"create new object" can be used to copy something, then modify the mesh slightly. It's really just like hitting on a blender object, but organized in with the rest of the GUI.

As for duplicate object... You're right. There is no need to have the blender primitives listed there.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:42 am

I think I got it, but I want to be sure:

* "create new object" is to be used in place of either using the menu items for creating a Blender primitive/Plasma object OR for using .

* "create duplicate object" is to be used in place of using

...correct?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Branan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:20 pm

It's , not , but other than that, you've got it :)

I've added the 'add' page to the wiki. Check it out. This will be the last anouncement I make in this thread. From now on, new features / ideas will go in the scripting journal, and I'd like comments on those ideas there, instead of here. I'm not certain who has access to the scripting journal right now, but anyone working on the system is welcome to use it. If you don't have access, just ask an Admin.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion