Object properties script?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Branan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:48 pm

I'll add an 'advanced' toggle to give access to all of those in the objects screen.

Do you think any of them but kPinned should be added to the region window? Perhaps a "start disabled" toggle, so you can later enable the region through a script (for things like falling ladders. It's probably faster to toggle a region on than to move the region down).

What should be set for that toggle? kDisabled, or Ksuppressed?
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:26 pm

usually kSupressed will do the trick. (that's for the "start disabled" button) although there is really no speed difference between warping a region and toggling it. (really the script writer's preference) so that's a pinned and supressed button in the region controls then. (only when "dynamic" is selected)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Branan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:32 pm

sounds good. I'm going to make the toggle say "start disabled." It's a better description of what it does. (the region is disabled, after all.)

As for the objects... What makes sense to you? Any flags you know are a Bad Idea to set, and should thus be excluded?

I've added an updated version of the region properties page to the WIKI. Check it out.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:22 pm

well, none of them are a bad idea to set. (they don't cause problems) but an number of them don't have clear defnitions and/or don't seem to do anything. so I'd include buttons for the obvious ones, and leave the others for "advanced". all the "k"s are only for objects with mass, so you could hide them if there is no mass.

I'd use:
kDisable - self explanatory
kPinned - holds position, collision not disabled
kCameraAvoidObject - duh
kSuppressed - similar to disable

edit for your edit:
the new region controls look good. :) now you just need to have the "k" object controls show up for when mass is in use.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Branan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:31 pm

We really should try to figure out the difference between Suppressed and Disabled... Does one disable collision with the avatar and one with everything? Anyone know?

When I get home tonight, I'll pull open my test age and check out what those flags do to static and dynamic geometry, visible, collider, and collider-visible, as well as regions.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:03 pm

hmm. when used on kickables, disabled seems to have no effect.

results of my current test on little kickable boxes:

supressed = holds position with no collision detection
pinned = holds position with collision detection
disabled = no effect: kicks around just as well as my "control" box.
weightless = still fall to the ground, but seems to have less friction.
passive = vanished. may turn off collision detection. (could have fallen out of the age)

explains why the regions didn't turn off.
Nadnerb

Postby Branan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:17 pm

Cool. Thanks for getting started on that. I figure this thread should be kept to discussion of the GUI design, so I made a new thread for deciphering the col_flags4. As for the designs, I think that until we work out the meanings of the different k* values, I'm going to leave them as is.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:29 pm

ok. I've updated the results in my last post with passive and weightless. I'll repost in your new thread.
Nadnerb

Postby Branan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:38 pm

In light of my tests of Col_flags4 on regions, the 'pinned' toggle is going to be removed from the region properties. See the thread on deciphering col_flags4 for more information. The 'start disabled' toggle will effect the kSuppressed field.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:14 pm

Very exciting, Paladin! This should make the plugin more accessible.

Here's some comments:

- Perhaps the five buttons at the top would be better represented as tabs?

- On the Export tab, I agree that it should have the options you have listed, plus all options currently present in the alcconfig.py file. And this However, the fields for export directory, browse, etc. are redundant because the built-in Blender file browser will be much easier to use. So, if this export tab is made, just remove the various export options from the export menu and use the values set by the user on the tab.

- Regarding regions: trylon is currently working on revamping the classification of regions; your work and his should be coincident.

- How will these settings on the various pages be preserved? Do each of them translate into existing property fields, or will new properties need to be created? When an age is loaded, will these pages' settings be automatically configured according to the property values?

- The mass and friction properties should be represented other than just a binary "static/dynamic" setting. Perhaps you could put in sliders?

- What would appear on the Add tab/page?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion