Back on the Wall

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Back on the Wall

Postby Agenotfound » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 am

Well, you pretty much rewrote the whole thing ! Amazing work, hope to be able to play it soon !
Agenotfound

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am

diafero wrote:Does it replace global files, or just some files in Gahreesen?
Well, all the files are from Gahreesen. Except ONE file from GlobalAvatars to bring back the footsteps sounds. As they are replaced with Stone/Metal on the Shard, you don't really need them anyway. I don't know how hard it would be to revert the change to the WallRoom PRP...

It might be useful to sum up every copied/modified files:
Show Spoiler

This should be everything.

I'll try to bring the tutorial this weekend.
If you apply the changes yourself, you'll need an Until URU install to get some files (I prefer not to distribute too many of Cyan's contents). Of course copying them from DI should work fine too.

I noticed another small bug in multiplayer, but it should be fixed this evening.
Sirius

Postby Karkadann » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am

Wow thats The Wall is one of those things everybody has looked at wondered and read about and yet few have tried.Im wondering Is their gonna be a Public Garrison age for the wall, and will it work with only one person?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:49 pm

I'd definitely prefer if you could put the texture into the prp that references it - this is also the way the new textures in city and hood got added, it avoids re-distributing the whole large textures file.
Reverting the prp changes for the footsteps should be easy, I just need to find out if those prp files hold any other changes - if not, I can revert them to the original Cyan version.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:56 am

I couldn't put the textures in the PRP myself (they are somehow not loaded).
So I used Drizzle to do the job. It included the textures that were already in the original PRP, but they are not a lot.

AFAIK, footsteps are the only fix in grsnWallRoom.prp. But I wasn't sure if it was possible to put the original file to download.

Karkadann wrote:Wow thats The Wall is one of those things everybody has looked at wondered and read about and yet few have tried.Im wondering Is their gonna be a Public Garrison age for the wall, and will it work with only one person?
Adding a new instance should be possible. Better ask Diafero what he thinks about that.
Single player works fine, but you still have to set the blockers yourself. I think it would be really hard to tell Uru to do that automatically.

And I forgot to mention, the panel used is the one from UU and not MOULa. I will try to extract the objects from MOUL to add it to this panel (it's more intuitive).

[EDIT:@Diafero: I sent you the files.]
Sirius

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:45 am

With the fix to the WallRoom we could just as easily revert our earlier changes to fix the broken footstep problem by fixing the GlobalAvatars audio page and re-enabling the maintainer footstep sounds. It's a relatively easy fix, the only issue is the distribution of the footstep sound files that are associated with it. These were included with both UU and MOULa but were not a part of CC.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby semplerfi » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:46 am

tachzusamm wrote:... ?

Sorry tachzusamm for my being unclear.

Oh my!

Perfect... :D

Oh my! = pure excitement on my part

"Perfect... :D" = I am a longtime fan of the Wall and have waited for years for it to be fixed and put back into the game for all to enjoy. This one element could revitalize the whole game and bring lots of folks back. (the green smiley – has the biggest happy grin of all the smileys – I used it to show how happy I am)
semplerfi

Postby tachzusamm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:59 am

Ah, ok. Thank you for clarification; I was just wondering if I said something funny, without realizing it. lol
tachzusamm

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Great job! There is something else though that always bothered me in UU. Those two maintainer Nexuses should really be moved to separate ages. In the current setup the wall makes people link within the same age. :shock: Sub age linking would be perfect for this.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Lontahv » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 pm

D'Lanor wrote:Great job! There is something else though that always bothered me in UU. Those two maintainer Nexuses should really be moved to separate ages. In the current setup the wall makes people link within the same age. :shock: Sub age linking would be perfect for this.

The problem with moving the nexuses to different ages is that you'd need to completely reload Gahreesen between games.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion