Back on the Wall

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Back on the Wall

Postby Charura » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Chacal wrote:and I get back from Nairobi

/me awaits the plane landing
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby Sirius » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:09 am

As it doesn't really belong to the other topic, I suggest we go on this one.

Diafero wrote:It wasn't crashing, the server just kicked the client because it sent an unknown message (plClimbingMsg).
That's strange, I unlinked the SceneObjects to their SimpleRegionSensors... However I didn't remove them from the file as it would have been quite long. It seems Uru still loads them ? I might better delete them in that case.

D'Lanor wrote:Note the return under "if len(PtGetPlayerList()):". Weird enough this also skips the ageSDL initialization in multiplayer mode. That does not seem right to me.[...]
These SDL variables are not so much for the chair itself but to make sure that only one person can use the control panel.
Yeah, I forgot this return.
I don't really understand why these variables are used as you're not supposed to be able to click on the chairs while someone is sitting on them. It won't check if you're the one on the chair when you click the panel buttons either. When you enter the tubes, it changes another variable which is never used elsewhere. You can also find a lot of commented out variables used in previous SDL versions in the Python File from MOULa.

Anyway, here is the modified script. I removed all the SDL variables and made other big changes. Feel free to correct anything, I can't guarantee everything is perfect, especially on the multiplayer side.
grsnWallPython.zip
(9.14 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Sirius

Postby diafero » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:02 am

Sirius wrote:
Diafero wrote:It wasn't crashing, the server just kicked the client because it sent an unknown message (plClimbingMsg).
That's strange, I unlinked the SceneObjects to their SimpleRegionSensors... However I didn't remove them from the file as it would have been quite long. It seems Uru still loads them ? I might better delete them in that case.
I don't know... all I can say is that I see these messages. If you are using a recent 64bit-Linux, I can send you a Wireshark plugin to have a look yourself, but I don't know how to build it for Windows.
The plClimbMsgs do not have a sender, btw. There are also a lot of pfClimbingWallMsg, are these expected? They were already accepted by the Alcugs server, so obviously I encountered them already before.

Sirius wrote:Anyway, here is the modified script. I removed all the SDL variables and made other big changes. Feel free to correct anything, I can't guarantee everything is perfect, especially on the multiplayer side.

Okay, I installed it on the Shard. It seems it did not break anything.
I noticed one instance of weird behaviour, which may have happened before, too: If I jump on that lift when entering the maintainer Nexus, the lift animation restarts and it changes my cloths to the default avatar. If I jump again, I get my normal cloths back. I do not know if that is reproducible...
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:49 pm

diafero wrote:I noticed one instance of weird behaviour, which may have happened before, too: If I jump on that lift when entering the maintainer Nexus, the lift animation restarts and it changes my cloths to the default avatar. If I jump again, I get my normal cloths back. I do not know if that is reproducible...

Yes, that is how PtWearMaintainerSuit() works. I fixed it in UU long ago by adding a new global variable "suitDone" to grsnNexusBookMachine.
Code: Select all
        if (id == entryTrigger.id):
            if (not suitDone):
                PtWearMaintainerSuit(avatar.getKey(), false)
                suitDone = true

And as you "link" out of the maintainer Nexus you set it to false again.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Karkadann » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:36 pm

WOW IT WORKS although I was just goofing around on my own, iv been wondering about the wall for years
Thanks Guys The Gerrision wall a DI exclusive, any chance on you guys getting Cyan to get their version working? :D
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:48 am

diafero wrote:The plClimbMsgs do not have a sender, btw. There are also a lot of pfClimbingWallMsg, are these expected? They were already accepted by the Alcugs server, so obviously I encountered them already before.
Maybe it would be better if I delete these old SimpleRegionSensors. However, I don't really know what is the difference between "pf", "pt" and "pl" messages (pl for PRPs, pt for Python and pf for the client ?). I'm quite sure one of them is used for the panel messages (as "add blocker", "set max number of blockers"...). The python file uses this function of the API (ptClimbingWallMsg), which manages most of the network-related messages.

diafero wrote:I noticed one instance of weird behaviour, which may have happened before, too: If I jump on that lift when entering the maintainer Nexus, the lift animation restarts and it changes my cloths to the default avatar. If I jump again, I get my normal cloths back. I do not know if that is reproducible...
Yes, annoying bug... the region in the subworld behaves wrong. I tried to un-parent it to the subworld but it didn't work. We could add D'Lanor's fix, or try to fix the region (which would be better to make sure the elevator animation isn't restarted as well). I had the same problem with the suit machines, because if you are wearing the suit already it sets the default clothing on your avatar.

Karkadann wrote:WOW IT WORKS although I was just goofing around on my own, iv been wondering about the wall for years
Thanks Guys The Gerrision wall a DI exclusive, any chance on you guys getting Cyan to get their version working? :D
I haven't had time to try it online myself, however I'm glad to hear it :) . I don't know if Cyan will accept us messing around in their PRPs... I think trying to make it work on MOSS shards would be already a big progress.
However Cyan rewrote the Python ptClimbingWallMsg (which seems a bad idea in my opinion, the Wall Python handler was causing most of the bugs). We're not even sure this new function will work (well, they also rewrote the Heek and the Blue Spirals, so maybe the wall will work...).
Sirius

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:39 am

Sirius wrote:Yes, annoying bug... the region in the subworld behaves wrong. I tried to un-parent it to the subworld but it didn't work. We could add D'Lanor's fix, or try to fix the region (which would be better to make sure the elevator animation isn't restarted as well).

That is what I did back then as well. So here is my full UU file if you want to try it (I just stripped out some UU specific stuff which attempted to fix the stuck avatar bug).
Keep in mind that this is a compromise between persistence and playability. Multiple players in the Nexus won't always see the same state of the manhole but this was done for their own safety. ;) If you see a way to make this safe and persistent at the same time, even better.

Edit: Hmm, I see no reason why the Relto book stays disabled until we leave the nexus. It should return when the suit goes. Fixed.

grsnNexusBookMachine15.zip
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Last edited by D'Lanor on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:48 am

D'Lanor wrote:Yes, that is how PtWearMaintainerSuit() works. I fixed it in UU long ago by adding a new global variable "suitDone" to grsnNexusBookMachine.
Code: Select all
        if (id == entryTrigger.id):
            if (not suitDone):
                PtWearMaintainerSuit(avatar.getKey(), false)
                suitDone = true

And as you "link" out of the maintainer Nexus you set it to false again.

Good idea, thanks - works fine here.
I wonder how many more useful patches you have flying around from UU times? ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Annabelle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I tried to play on wall online on Deep Island shard.

I made a design for the purple team (Myrtille) and a design for the yellow team (Annabelle)...well I was alone online so I played against myself :D . Then each avvie suited up in the machine, all went well.

The sound of footsteps is the one that should be, the metallic sounding one. Climbing on the wall is not as it should be though. I think Sirius made a marvelous job creating something that looks as much as it is when we play on UU offline.

There is a bug...unfortunately. Half up there, neither avvie can climb more. They are stuck and when I climb back down they goes out of the wall but still climbing down the wall. I think there is a mismatch between the wall area and the visuals. Therefore I wasn't able to link to the Nexus room at the top of wall. I did spawn there with both avvies to get rid of their suits and get back their normal outfits.

I don't know if any other explorer have tested the wall game yet?

But it looks promising which is great since we cannot play the wall game online on the Cyan's shard or any other shard.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby RedSoxFan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Just tested it and my avatar got stuck on the first block. no movement at all. The keyboard commands worked but spawning put me in the water and back to Relto with the suit...
RedSoxFan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion