Deep Island UAM database

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Deep Island UAM database

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:16 am

That message is FUD by Dustin because he, for some reason, does not want ages to download content from the internet. I can not remove it without releasing a new version of Drizzle, which I won't (but you can find the source code of a patched version which hides this warning if you deliberately installed the "enabled" version of the network access package at https://gitorious.org/drizzle/drizzle/commits/diafero). The point of the "Network Access" package is to give you the possibility to decide whether ages should be able to easy access the internet or not ("good" ages will not try to circumvent this). After you made a concious decision, the point of the message on startup is to make you change your mind.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:54 am

I think the module should be disabled by default, and an objective message about the risks should be shown when the user installs the enabled version, but should not be repeated after that. This behavior would be similar to what is usual, e.g. in Microsoft products, in Firefox, etc.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby diafero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 am

I think that is the case: It is disabled per default (as the package is simply not installed), neither Uru nor the current Offline KI contain the file "_socket.pyd" which is the one allowing easy network access. When you click on the package, it has a description saying what it does (I am not a native speaker, so suggestions for the formulation are welcome). Drizzle does not have the ability to show message boxes or similar, so that's all I can do. For people who installed an old version of the Offline KI (I think 3.4 and earlier), which used to have this file, and want to get rid of it, there is the "disabled" version, which guarantees that the file is gone after installation. I can even understand that Drizzle shows a warning if you have the file around, but did not install either version of the "Network Access" package, though of course I would have chosen a less suggestive wording. The patch I mentioned just removes the message for people who explicitly installed the "enabled" version of the Network Access package. But, as I said, that's not worth going through the trouble of releasing a new Drizzle version.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:13 pm

If you want to be automatically notified about updates, I got some good news for you: I finally found the time to create an RSS feed that automagically uses the data from the DI UAM. Just add http://www.the-deep-island.de/uru-ages/uam.status.rss to your favourite newsreader.
This is currently still in testing mode, so please tell me if you find any problems.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 am

Btw, I forgot to mention: Since the Shad and UAM database are kept in sync, you can also use this feed to be notified about age updates on the Shard.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 am

I extended the information about how to release an age via UAM with instructions which files to put together how to create a complete age package.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion