Where are they? How do I get them?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Where are they? How do I get them?

Postby Burnart » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Sorry I don't even know If I am asking this stuff in the right place! I'm a noob to this forum but pretty much bought all the Myst games (as far as I know) as they were released. In particular I have Uru and the D'ni POTS expansion.

At home I don't have access to broadband so I have never been involved in online Uru. I do have access at work and have in the past week gotten hold of Drizzle30 and set up my Uru stuff on my laptop with the OfflineKi etc. Mostly working ok although Drizzle30 seems to think OfflineKi v. 3.6.x is the latest version - presumably I have to somehow update that manually? (I've downloaded the latest 3.7.1 7z file but haven't done anything with it yet.)

The thing I've noticed wandering through D'ni is that I am coming across linking books and stones for places that aren't in the Drizzle list of fan ages so I'm assuming they are official ages of some kind only available through the various shards. (A shard being a specific server that you connect to which is running an online version of the game?) Presumably NeighbourhoodMOUL, KveerMOUL and KirelMOUL are a part of MOUL but where do all the others reside? The other links I have found so far are to Negilahn, Dereno, Payiferen, Testsonot, Minkata, Jalak, Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin. Which ages are found on which shard - is there a list somewhere? or am I wrong about how this works?

If I join a shard I guess it downloads the data for an age as I go. Is that data then available to me when I play offline?

I've tried searching for answers for some of this stuff without much luck so I hope someone can help point me in the right direction.
Burnart

Re: Where are they? How do I get them?

Postby Deledrius » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Those ages you list were all a part of MOUL, and if you're playing on Uru:CC they've been back-converted for use on that engine.

As far as I know, those ages should be usable by the Offline Uru:CC mode as well, once they've been downloaded (I've only played fanages offline, and they work fine). diafero will probably know for certain if this is the case. ;)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Make sure you take a look at this thread, if your Drizzle thinks OfflineKi v. 3.6.x is the latest version you might have to Change the Server in the UAM tab, one is not being updated presently and has OfflineKi v. 3.6 as the latest version
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Burnart » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks Deledrius and Karkadann. I shall read the link you suggest.

I'm still a little confused about where to get all the extra ages from so just to confirm I need to join a shard to start that process - yes? Is there a recommended shard for online noobs? ACtually I'm a little unclear as to how many shards there are. Is there a simple list somewhere?
Burnart

Postby Branan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:41 pm

If you want the MOUL ages you should just join Cyan's MOULagain. That will let you fetch all the ages. You can then convert them to work with Complete Chronicles using Drizzle.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 am

The thing I've noticed wandering through D'ni is that I am coming across linking books and stones for places that aren't in the Drizzle list of fan ages so I'm assuming they are official ages of some kind only available through the various shards. (A shard being a specific server that you connect to which is running an online version of the game?) Presumably NeighbourhoodMOUL, KveerMOUL and KirelMOUL are a part of MOUL but where do all the others reside? The other links I have found so far are to Negilahn, Dereno, Payiferen, Testsonot, Minkata, Jalak, Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin. Which ages are found on which shard - is there a list somewhere? or am I wrong about how this works?
As already mentioned, those are ages converted from other games. if you played MOULa or MagiQuest, or if you own Myst V, Hex Isle, Crowthistle, you can convert the ages/worlds you can visit in those games so that they are available in Uru as well. Which is especially interesting for Shard, because finally, we can have parties in Direbo :)

Fore more documentation, see the "Age conversion" part of the wiki article at http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Drizzle

EDIT: typos...
Last edited by diafero on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Burnart » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for all the info - my understanding of what goes on is vastly improved - as is my Drizzle:UAM setup now that I have the right server! :P
Burnart

Return to General Discussion