Operating System Survey!

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Which Operating System do you play (or want to play) URU on?

Windows 8
3%
Windows 7
52%
Windows Vista
4%
Windows XP
23%
Mac OS X (10.6 or 10.7)
8%
Mac OS X (10.5 or older)
No votes
Linux
10%

Total votes : 71

Re: Operating System Survey!

Postby Seppolo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:42 am

Lead Uru tPots(alcugs/shards) and Moula/MOUL(shards) on two systems from. For me, there would also be true 2 Votes. Uru in Vista and Win7. Everything runs perfectly on both systems! :) On Vista I have not but still the problem of the Uru TPOTS the shards when running the IE9 is installed. :x So therefore still use IE8. In Win7, the problem was indeed correct in compatibility mode. But otherwise everything is fine.

regards, Seppolo
„Myst will never forgotten“

Seppolo

Postby Chuckles58 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:01 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Windows XP is 10-going-on-11 years old at this point. I'm not extraordinarily interested in pulling out my hair to continue supporting it.

Since y'all are doing the heavy lifting, I could do without XP support.
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby Rhee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 am

(Voted Win 7)

I currently do my playing on Windows 7 because thats what my new computer has. However, up until December, i was playing on XP because that is what is on the old desktop. Personally, I wouldn't particularly matter, because now my husband is the only one that uses the XP computer, and he is not a Myst/Uru player... His gaming tastes run more toward Sid Meier's Civilization and Age of Empires and that sort.

Honestly, it doesn't feel like its been a decade since XP came out!! I's gettin old :/
MOULa 2.0: Rhee - 1544785 Gehn Shard: Rhee - 16214

No bahro were harmed or enslaved in the making of this Age.
Rhee

OS X and Win 7

Postby gabriml » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:11 pm

I voted for OS X 10.6/7 because I have two computers that run it. I also have 3 computers that run Win 7 (2 are iMacs) so I would have liked to pick that too.

Win 7's support for old apps is amazing so my need for XP is waning. I have XP on my multi-boot Dell mainly because it stated with Vista (ugh). I have the XP virtual machine installed on Win 7 for a novelty and rarely touch it.

I even have Win 98 running in VirtualBox for old kids game that don't run in Win 7. I'm just irritated that VirtualBox does not have a decent video driver for 98--they are killing it softly.

Win 8 is too-soon-to-tell. I'm not sure what it offers over Win 7 except Metro. Metro and the demise of the Start Menu are an anathema to a standard keyboard/mouse PC.
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:20 am

Well, if you're going to support less than SSE3, you might as well support XP as well. I voted for XP ages ago.
kaelisebonrai

Postby catherwood » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 am

Branan wrote:As I'm sure many of you know, Microsoft is going to officially stop supporting Windows XP in 2014.

I actually did not know this, so thank you for the heads up. 2014 looks like such a futuristic date, until i do the math and realize it's barely two years away! Technically I'm running Win XP Pro, with Service Pack 3. When I went to run Windows Update, I did learn that there will be no more Service Packs -- perhaps that's what you mean by "will stop supporting", but that bridge was already passed. (I think SP3 was dated 2009, although I found a few patches/updates that came after it.)

Anyway, I like having a stable system, even if it becomes outdated. I know I will be forced to upgrade some piece of hardware some day, and eventually will accept the inevitability of Windows 7. My housemate has Vista, but he'll probably upgrade before I will. From what I've heard, Windows 8 will be aimed at people who have touch-screens instead of keyboards, and I am NOT ready for that bandwagon.

bottom line: thank you for supporting my Uru habit under WinXP for many years to come.
catherwood

Postby diafero » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:20 am

perhaps that's what you mean by "will stop supporting", but that bridge was already passed. (I think SP3 was dated 2009, although I found a few patches/updates that came after it.)
No, it's not. "Stop supporting" means there will be no updates whatosever for Windows XP anymore after some date in 2014. This includes crucial security fixes.
In other terms, using Windows XP after this date is a very bad idea (similar to using Windows without installing updates from Microsoft, or using Windows 2000 or anything older).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 am

catherwood wrote:I did learn that there will be no more Service Packs -- perhaps that's what you mean by "will stop supporting", but that bridge was already passed. (I think SP3 was dated 2009, although I found a few patches/updates that came after it.)

SP3 is the final service pack release for XP. "Stop Supporting" means you will no longer receive any back-ported security fixes. Any vulnerabilities in your system will remain un-patched, leaving you extremely susceptible to attacks as time goes on.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby I.Brattin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I am using Windows XP Pro 64bit. I upgraded from 32bit to 64bit in January. Have yet to reinstall Uru to see if it still works. I assume it will, I don't see why it wouldn't but you never know.

diafero wrote:
perhaps that's what you mean by "will stop supporting", but that bridge was already passed. (I think SP3 was dated 2009, although I found a few patches/updates that came after it.)
No, it's not. "Stop supporting" means there will be no updates whatosever for Windows XP anymore after some date in 2014. This includes crucial security fixes.
In other terms, using Windows XP after this date is a very bad idea (similar to using Windows without installing updates from Microsoft, or using Windows 2000 or anything older).

Personally I think forcing people to upgrade to a new Windows by nolonger supporting the old is stupid. I tried Win 7, I just didn't like the way things were changed. Hence why I upgrade XP from 32bit to 64bit cause I didn't want to upgrade to Win7.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby Rabbit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:32 am

I have used XP for quite a long time and has served well. But my PC is fairly old by today's standards and I'm going to rebuild it with Windows7 in the next few weeks.
Rabbit

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion