Enhancing Wiki Tutorials

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Enhancing Wiki Tutorials

Postby Lyrositor » Fri May 25, 2012 9:58 am

Offline KI: Hmm, yeah... It's kind of a misnomer too, IMO (well it is technical documentation, but it doesn't convey a sense of... tutoriality? :lol: ). Maybe it could turn into Using Offline KI instead, and that's what I had in mind for it: what do with the software, how to do it, etc. This might also include portions of Offline KI:Features (which IMHO should solely be a list of features, and not a tutorial page). It would also link to Offline KI:Commands for a full list of things to do.

Drizzle: Righto, guess that's what happen when you just look quickly over three hundred articles. :? I'll make sure to remove it. And yes, it is covered, so yet another reason to do away with it (I think it's Max:Exporting).

CWE & Plasma: Okay, good point. How about this: Plasma is the main article (I mean... why redirect to Plasma 101? :| ), CWE/CyanWorlds.com Engine is a redirect to the "Open-Source" section, and the rest is basically the same as Plasma 101? Sort of like what I had started here: http://lyros.ath.cx/wiki/CyanWorlds.com_Engine. This way information about pure Plasma is preserved, and it's also linked with open-source.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby diafero » Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 am

Offline KI: Hmm, yeah... It's kind of a misnomer too, IMO (well it is technical documentation, but it doesn't convey a sense of... tutoriality? :lol: ). Maybe it could turn into Using Offline KI instead, and that's what I had in mind for it: what do with the software, how to do it, etc. This might also include portions of Offline KI:Features (which IMHO should solely be a list of features, and not a tutorial page). It would also link to Offline KI:Commands for a full list of things to do.
Well, it's called "technical documentation" since it started as such ;-) . However, this is only the part of "Using Offline KI" for age developers, opposed to the features site which is essentially "Using Offline KI" for explorers.
Where does a feature description end and a tutorial start? IMHO, for example, to describe the feature "Flymode", I have to list the keybindings. To describe image import and export, I have to say how this is done. Which almost makes it a tutorial.

Drizzle: Righto, guess that's what happen when you just look quickly over three hundred articles. :? I'll make sure to remove it. And yes, it is covered, so yet another reason to do away with it (I think it's Max:Exporting).
I fixed the link to go to the appropriate subsection of the Drizzle page instead.

CWE & Plasma: Okay, good point. How about this: Plasma is the main article (I mean... why redirect to Plasma 101? :| ), CWE/CyanWorlds.com Engine is a redirect to the "Open-Source" section, and the rest is basically the same as Plasma 101?
Sounds good :)

EDIT: I also created an initial short version of "Distributing Ages" just to make sure people don't stumble upon this non-working link on the "Tutorials" page and are confused ;-) . I know it's all WIP, but then it's also in live usage.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Lyrositor » Sun May 27, 2012 7:10 am

For everyone looking at this thread, we discussed the Offline KI articles in IRC. We reached the following conclusions:
1. No conclusion was reached.
2. We'll conclude much later.
In meantime, though, I've finished the new Plasma article.
And now... (drumroll please)... I'm going to tackle PyPRP:Getting Started, the behemoth article. It looks pretty huge right now, but I think I can trim out unnecessary parts. At worst I can split it up into sub articles (PyPRP:Getting Started/Lighting for example), but I don't think that will be necessary. For one things, all Blender interface-related pictures will no longer be shown on the article - just linked to (as is appropriate for a wiki not on general Blender usage, but on applied Blender usage).

However, I noticed this disclaimer:
This tutorial was written for Blender 2.45.
If you are using Blender 2.46 you will have trouble following the UV mapping part, and other parts.
Feel free to update it to Blender 2.46 if you are so inclined.

Would anyone have the time to tell me what needs updating? Also, if I remember correctly, Blender had a major interface overhaul recently; are all of the screenshots functionally accurate, if not aesthetically correct?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Postby Deledrius » Sun May 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Lyrositor wrote:Also, if I remember correctly, Blender had a major interface overhaul recently; are all of the screenshots functionally accurate, if not aesthetically correct?

Unfortunately, AFAIK, very little of the current info/photos/etc. apply whatsoever to the new Blender except by chance. The overhaul was very extensive in both visual and workflow.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Sun May 27, 2012 1:48 pm

PyPRP 2, the MOULa compatible version which also works with the new Blender interface, only has a very basic functionality. So any serious age building still has to be done in PyPRP 1.6 with Blender 2.49b (or lower). That is the combination for which the PyPRP tutorials were written and if I am not mistaken it is what most builders are using (hint: you could set up a poll to check if this assumption is correct).
Unfortunately PyPRP 1.6 is not MOULa compatible, so until someone breathes new life into the PyPRP 2 project those who cannot afford Max are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Charura » Sun May 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Those of us that have Max 7 and beyond are okay? In other words, are we stuck at seven for MOUL(a)? I admit, I haven't read the whole thread..sry if this a rhetorical question...
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby dendwaler » Sun May 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Correct D lanor,
Unfortunately that is the current situation.
Besides the money ,i dont want to learn max now i finally master blender.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Deledrius » Sun May 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Charura wrote:Those of us that have Max 7 and beyond are okay? In other words, are we stuck at seven for MOUL(a)? I admit, I haven't read the whole thread..sry if this a rhetorical question...

Why are Max users stuck at 7? The plugin should work on newer (and available!) version of Max. If it does not, please file a bug report with the appropriate information.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Lyrositor » Sun May 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Deledrius wrote:
Charura wrote:Those of us that have Max 7 and beyond are okay? In other words, are we stuck at seven for MOUL(a)? I admit, I haven't read the whole thread..sry if this a rhetorical question...

Why are Max users stuck at 7?

Deledrius, Charura said "and beyond", so it's not stuck at 7. :?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Postby Deledrius » Sun May 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Lyrositor wrote:
Deledrius wrote:
Charura wrote:In other words, are we stuck at seven for MOUL(a)?

Why are Max users stuck at 7?

Deledrius, Charura said "and beyond", so it's not stuck at 7. :?

It was more this question I was confused on.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion