How do I know which shards are approved?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

How do I know which shards are approved?

Postby cedward1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:53 pm

How do I know which shards are approved by Cyan, and which ones they do not approve of? Last I heard, Deep Island was not technically sanctioned. I posted a question about it on the Uru forums, but it disappered (which tells me it must still be unapproved). Is the rule here that if the Shard requires a modification of an installed game (such as Uru CC) that it violates the user agreement and therefore is not sanctioned?
cedward1

Re: How do I know which shards are approved?

Postby Luna » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 pm

It's the rule /there/ that you cannot talk about shards that use Uru CC. However they could just tell you instead of deleting your post :roll:

In MOUL forum rules :
HACKING MO:UL - As the plugins and code are released for MO:UL, discussions about the plugins and code are allowed for the purposes of learning and improving MO:UL, its variants (e.g., MORE, MO:ULagain, MO:UL Open Source), its plugins and its program code. The fine line here is if the discussion compromises Cyan's other products (e.g., Uru: Complete Chronicles, Hex Isle, MQO), which is not allowed (see below).
HACKING any other Cyan product - Discussions of or links to or the presenting of reverse engineering or exploits of any Cyan game (MO:UL and its variants expressly excepted) are not allowed. This includes tools used for the modifying of or distributing of copyrighted materials such as game executables, game data and game code.
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Deledrius » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:39 am

To my knowledge, Cyan doesn't approve or (directly, anyway) disapprove any shards. They simply don't have the time and manpower to do so even if they had the desire. The closest to approval has been Minkata, for the purpose of being The Path for testing patches destined for the official Cyan shard. I'm not privvy to the details of that arrangement, however, so I can't say how deep that approval goes. Others from OpenUru would know more, I suspect. The best you have from Cyan at the moment is the Server List, which is obviously incomplete. As you can see, they decline to endorse any of them.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Lyrositor » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:24 am

Deledrius wrote:The best you have from Cyan at the moment is the Server List, which is obviously incomplete. As you can see, they decline to endorse any of them.

I believe the reason they're not adding TOC to the list (assuming they took enough time out to take a peak at it) is that TOC modifies game content, then distributes. As stated in the rules, that's not allowed. So I guess TOC could be considered a shard they do not approve of (I'm pretty sure they modify game content; otherwise, I'd be very interested in knowing how they do it).

As far as I know, the only wrong thing an open source shard (MOSS/DIRTSAND) can do is distributing game content, which still belongs to Cyan and isn't open source. I don't know the status on Deep Island and similar shards, but I don't think Deep Island modifies any game content, just adds to it.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Luna » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:26 am

Deep Island is based on Uru:CC which is not "allowed".
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Christopher » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:47 am

I don't really think, that Cyan goes through every Fan shard and approve or disapprove it. (btw Deep Island does modify game content (e.g. Garrsion to make the Wall working (correct me if I am wrong)))
So I think as long as Cyan doesn't disapprove a shard you can play on it.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Gahlen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I have to admit, it's kind of amusing: cedward posts a question to Chogon’s thread on the MOULa forum about whether Deep Island is ok, it disappears; Adam posts a question about cedward’s question and its disappearance, and it disappears. No answers or commentary, no polite reference to the forum rules, not even a pm to cedward, nothing. DI is so scary, it seems, that we're not even allowed to talk about the fact that … we're not allowed to talk about it. :lol: :roll:
Gahlen

Postby Annabelle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:47 pm

This is a very thin line and Cyan is really a bad teacher. Mods followed their line of thoughts :roll: :roll: :roll:

They will prefer deleting your WHOLE post and not have the respect for your intelligence to remind you with a friendly notice in PM saying:

Sorry (insert name),

We deleted this post because you went against this forum rule...

See one of the previous post made by Luna to learn which forum rule you went against.

Therefore YOU (in their heads) should have learn by heart EVERY forum rules the edicted over time!

Even if you follow them you get some weird answers like me 2 weeks ago when I told moderators that a guy was using fly mode pictures: YES this guy USED illegitimated pictures using FLY MODE which goes against this forum rule BUT we told him it was OK for blablabla & for blablabla...

For your initial question: the alcugs shards are not allowed to be talked about in MOULa's official forum. Drizzle tool is not allowed too.

You want a post to be deleted, the simplest recipe is to insert this word in it ----> Drizzle. I even got a WHOLE post deleted stating this... (it was Veralun who deleted it...no wonders!!!) "You can get this effect using a tool starting with a "D" containing 2 "Z" and 7 letters." :lol:

So you may ask me what is an alcugs shard? Deep Island (DI) shard, UAM shard & TOC TPOTS shard are the 3 public alcugs shards, shards based on URU:CC. The dirtsand shards & MOSS shards: Gehn, TOC MOUL, Minkata those are OK since they use Open-Source materials.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:24 pm

According to the moderating god veralun (aka verylooney), my post violated no forum rules, rather he pointed out that that topic was not a place for discussion (not joking), and if I wanted to discuss, I should create a new topic... Hmmm, ever heard of splitting topics, brainiac?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby cedward1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Gahlen wrote:I have to admit, it's kind of amusing: cedward posts a question to Chogon’s thread on the MOULa forum about whether Deep Island is ok, it disappears; Adam posts a question about cedward’s question and its disappearance, and it disappears. No answers or commentary, no polite reference to the forum rules, not even a pm to cedward, nothing. DI is so scary, it seems, that we're not even allowed to talk about the fact that … we're not allowed to talk about it. :lol: :roll:

I did have a note in my personal email saying that I had a PM on the MOULa forum account. But when I went to my inbox, there was nothing. So I don't want to jump to the conclusion that they just ignored me, because it may have been a glitch (although I'm told that this happens when someone deletes a message from their outbox before it is read, which makes me wonder what the message was and why they changed their mind - if it was indeed a moderator.)

I once asked a question about Drizzle, which was deleted but followed up by a nice PM from a moderator. Maybe Deep Island is a scarier subject. Or maybe they thought my question was dumb since I should have gathered that if Drizzle wasn't allowed that Deep Island wasn't either. But I'm not that smart when it comes to these things.

The thing is, I'd like to visit the Fan Ages, but if it violates my user agreement with Cyan I have some scruples about doing it on the DI shard. I was kind of hoping that Open Source changed things somehow (now I understand a bit better how it works, and I see that it wouldn't).

According to the moderating god veralun (aka verylooney), my post violated no forum rules, rather he pointed out that that topic was not a place for discussion (not joking), and if I wanted to discuss, I should create a new topic... Hmmm, ever heard of splitting topics, brainiac?

I wondered if perhaps that was why my post was deleted. The thread was supposed to be a list of existing shards, but as my question was about whether or not something should be on the list it seemed better to put it there than make a whole new thread about an existing topic.

But since nobody told me why it was deleted I didn't want to ask again in a new thread, so I just let it drop over there and posted my question here.
cedward1

Next

Return to General Discussion