Garternay Age Creation

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Garternay Age Creation

Postby Fay » Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 am

Introduction:

I know a lot of you don't know me, I've been playing MOUL on and off for a while now but not often staying in the public D'ni for any period of time. You can find me on Uru as Fay. I've been a fan of the Myst series since the first one came out.

I've done game design before on other games but I've not done so in a while, I don't have a huge amount of experience with 3ds Max even though I went to Digital Design college and doing that game design as a hobby. I mostly got familiar with the game engine for the Jedi Knight series (GTK Radiant). So writing this age will be a true journey of learning (and already plenty of frustration).

I've mentioned on my other post at Mystonline's Spoiler-free Discussion that I've started to write a new age. I decided it would be best if I make another topic specifically for the creation of the age, Where I can keep you all up-to-date on the progress and get some feedback from the community.)

About the age:

After thinking about it, I've decided to name the age Gartenay and create it with the lore about it in mind.

From http://dni.wikia.com/wiki/Garternay:

Garternay (said to mean 'Root of the Great Tree' in D'ni language), was the old and possibly original home age of the people called the Ronay. Garternay was an ancient world that was orbiting a Red giant sun, and it was known to the Ronay that their world would relatively soon no longer be able to sustain life. Fortunately they had developed the Art: a way to write special Books which provides a Link to another Age.
Several Ages were written to house the Ronay exiles, and the majority Linked to Terahnee, an immense fertile world. A conservative minority, led by the Writer Ri'neref, instead decided to leave the host of the Ronay, as they felt that the Ronay had become too arrogant and had forgotten their humility. This splinter fraction instead linked to the Age of D'ni (Earth), an Age written by Ri'neref. Here they formed the D'ni empire.

Garternay is believed to have been destroyed by natural forces at some point after the exodus, and, officially, no Linking Books have been found. However, Garternay was listed as an Age under preparation by the D'ni Restoration Council, suggesting at least one Linking Book had been found.

The idea of the age I'm creating is that a book of the age was somehow/somewhere discovered (Any ideas on how that could've come about would be awesome), It turns out that the Age still exists, Abandoned by the Ronay so there are still buildings standing, Somehow the age survived it's demise (Any input on this would be great too).

As the first of the explorers to go in, You will explore the age to figure out more about the Ronay and their civilization, What really happened (Did it really nearly get destroyed or is there some dark secret the Ronay we're trying to cover up?). The idea is to have puzzles that are to be completed solo and in a group.

So far I've been doing tests just to get the test ages to work in Uru, So far I've been struggling with the terrain so that's why I've decided to start work on buildings first till I can learn more about texture blending.

I could use help from all of you to flesh out the story/lore behind Garternay the Ronay and the Puzzles as well as help with textures and getting the more complex puzzles to work. It'll be interesting to see what exciting stories you all come up with.
Last edited by Fay on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fay

Re: Garternay Age Creation

Postby Fay » Tue May 08, 2012 8:07 am

First Texture/Lighting Tests:

Fay

Postby cskid13 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Nice work! I can't wait to see this when it is finished!

Also, I bet Garternay was unstable, but hasn't fully collapsed yet.
cskid13

Postby GPNMilano » Tue May 08, 2012 3:20 pm

According to what little we know of what happened to Garternay. The sun of Garternay was dying. Eventually it would have gone nova as most stars that die do. So it was inevitable that Garternay would be destroyed. Supposedly there were linking books back to Garternay but the D'ni were discouraged from using them, and about 3000 years into D'ni's history was when Garternay was supposed to have collapsed.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Fay » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

GPNMilano wrote:According to what little we know of what happened to Garternay. The sun of Garternay was dying. Eventually it would have gone nova as most stars that die do. So it was inevitable that Garternay would be destroyed. Supposedly there were linking books back to Garternay but the D'ni were discouraged from using them, and about 3000 years into D'ni's history was when Garternay was supposed to have collapsed.

The thing is, Nobody really knows what happened to Garternay, They just assumed it had collapsed but there can be numerous explanations of why it could still be there. One could be that a disaster happened that had nothing to do with the sun but that life is still sustainable for a dozen more millennia before the sun makes life unsustainable and the planet/atmosphere disintegrates. That the Ronay fled prematurely because of an unrelated disaster (Meteorite, Earthquake w/ Tsunami?)

I mean why bother going back to rebuild if you know you only have so many millennia left there if you have somewhere new to start up again for the future. I mean if we as humans knew that in 10000 years time our planet would disintegrate but we have a way to leave, but then a disaster happens and the entire population has to leave pre-maturely, We wouldn't go back to rebuild the ruins for those few millennia we could still inhabit the planet, We'd start somewhere new.

Another explanation could be that the Ronay tried to cover up a dark secret and used the excuse of a dying sun to move the population (Perhaps somehow related to the Bahro?).
Fay

Postby Deledrius » Tue May 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Technically, all we know about Garternay comes from the misinformation propaganda documents released by Cyan/Hyperion.

For all we know they've lied to us about it entirely to "protect" it.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby GPNMilano » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 am

Deledrius wrote:Technically, all we know about Garternay comes from the misinformation propaganda documents released by Cyan/Hyperion.

For all we know they've lied to us about it entirely to "protect" it.

Well there's the books, and of course the official DRC Website. History
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Deledrius » Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 am

And the DRC has conspired to keep things secret as well.

Sadly, the core conceit post-Uru of all sources being unreliable means that some or all of canon is suspect and cannot be relied upon to not change at a whim. IOW, you always have an easy out if you have a good reason for violating a "known" truth in the production of an Age like Garternay.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Fay » Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 am

Well I read the books, Played all the games, Read the wiki's etc. There isn't much known about Garternay. Seeing as it doesn't look like Cyan is intending on releasing any new Myst games I very much doubt they would be using the story of Garternay (At least that's my hope) I e-mailed them to ask for permission but haven't had a reply yet.
Fay

Postby Sirius » Wed May 09, 2012 4:47 am

Personally, I rather think Garternay was destroyed. It is clear (well, according to the DRC) that its sun was dying (Myst books+black journal on Tokotah building+more).
It would be nice to see an Age in which Ronay lived (not just a family Age), but I think creating an Age in which they fled would be more appropriate (something like Tehranee, just not as big). This would also fit with RAWa's rules for writing, if you want the Age to be on MOUL.
Just my opinion though. It doesn't mean any possibility of linking to Garternay is excluded.

Somehow the age survived it's demise (Any input on this would be great too).
Just a quick idea that worths mentionning:
You could say your Linking book links to another version of the Age... a version in which the sun didn't die because a D'ni fixed the link (that would be ok with the theory of the Great Tree of possibilities). The problem is, how do you link to an alternative version of an Age if you don't have the original descriptive Book...
Sirius

Next

Return to General Discussion