Myst V: Tiwah

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Myst V: Tiwah

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 am

Hello everyone,

Since I'm now on holidays and I got tired of flinging through portals, I thought it was time to get back on Plasma and continue working on some things.
I thought one of the biggest was more or less ready to be released, so here goes. I've been working on this for quite a time now. I'm messing again with things that "cannot work on Uru"... and got them working :D .

I was working on Myst V ages converted with Drizzle, in this case the Tiwah.
These pictures should explain quite well what I've been doing down there in the Shaft. They are quite big, sorry about that.

There are still some bugs here and there, but it works quite fine.
This is for use on a Complete Chronicles/PotS Uru install, you need to have the Myst V Ages converted with Drizzle for it to work. It might work on Alcugs Shards, but is totally untested.
This should work with or without the Offline-KI.
Download the attached content and follow the instructions.
[EDIT] Remember: you MUST make backups of the files you will edit ! In case anything goes wrong...

Legal note:
These are modified parts of Myst V files to modify the age on Uru-Complete Chronicles. You MUST own BOTH Myst V AND Uru-CC for it to work. I tried to release as little content copyrighted by Cyan as I could to make sure you do have both of them. Still, if Cyan asks me to remove those files, I will remove them.
It is not in any way approved/allowed by Cyan, so you are the only one responsible when applying the changes.

You might ask me "What about the other Ages ?"
Well, they basically work fine. But there is still a lot of work to be done in them, and the number of files required to make them work is insane (not to mention I would rather avoid distributing so many parts of Cyan's files, even though there is no model or textures in it).
It also needs a lot of time to do the fixes (most of them are made BY HAND), so I don't feel like spending more hours just to get partially working Ages.
The best would be to create an executable to automate all the dirty work, so that I can spend time on more advanced fixes (things that are specific to the Age). Also, this would allow people to modify easely the Age themselves without having to share all those files. However, my knowledge of C++ and HSPlasma doesn't allow me to create such a converter.
So I probably won't spend a lot more of time on this as long as I don't have a proper converter. I have better things to do.
Attachments
DescentMystV.zip
(520.58 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Last edited by Sirius on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Re: Myst V: Tiwah

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:15 am

Sirius wrote:However, my knowledge of C++ and HSPlasma doesn't allow me to create such a converter.
So I probably won't spend a lot more of time on this as long as I don't have a proper converter.

Hmmm... If you know python, you can use PyHSPlasma. I've started a new PyHSPlasma centric project as well, so if there are types that need bindings, I can try to write those in my spare time.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 am

Image I Like - Very Nice Image
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby GPNMilano » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Just played through. Very nice Sirius. I'm glad to see someone has taken up where myself and others left off and is trying to finish the conversion of this particular area of Myst V.

It felt really great to be able to travel through the shaft the way it was meant to be played, in at least Myst V's version of it. There's a few things I had trouble with, namely the controlling of all the levers and such. It probably would have been easier on the user to just make the levers one click and your done. Plus it would have been cool to have the avatar use the elevator call lever with it's appropriate oneshot animation. But those were the only things i had some issue with, and it's very minor and not your fault. I know full well how hard it is to do this all by hand, and I think you did a fantastic job, I wouldn't have wanted to put the extra work in to make those things happen so I don't expect anyone else to either. Just was a bit frustrating controlling the stuff. I can see why there's no axis modifiers present in Uru's actual contect impressively hard to control. Just a tip to anyone else who plays. You may feel the instinct to pull the control the way it was in Myst V. In Uru it's backwards. So if you want the lever in the elevator to go down you need to move the mouse up etc.

All in all VERY nice job.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Sirius » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:08 am

Glad you like it !

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Hmmm... If you know python, you can use PyHSPlasma.
I could try that... I have not often messed up with reading and writing files with Python though :| .
Most of the work is done by changing the cast flags of responders, logic modifiers and others, it also needs editing the physics (especially box physicals which are not always at the correct position). Some other things (such as supplementing ElevatorModifier or DynamicCamMap) are a bit harder to do but they are not too many, so it can be done manually.

GPNMilano wrote:There's a few things I had trouble with, namely the controlling of all the levers and such. It probably would have been easier on the user to just make the levers one click and your done. Plus it would have been cool to have the avatar use the elevator call lever with it's appropriate oneshot animation. But those were the only things i had some issue with, and it's very minor and not your fault. I know full well how hard it is to do this all by hand, and I think you did a fantastic job, I wouldn't have wanted to put the extra work in to make those things happen so I don't expect anyone else to either. Just was a bit frustrating controlling the stuff. I can see why there's no axis modifiers present in Uru's actual contect impressively hard to control. Just a tip to anyone else who plays. You may feel the instinct to pull the control the way it was in Myst V. In Uru it's backwards. So if you want the lever in the elevator to go down you need to move the mouse up etc.
Yes, these levers are quite a pain. I think it could work almost as fine as in Myst V but both Drizzle and HSPlasma default some parameters of the AxisAnimModifier (maybe these parameters weren't existing yet in PotS, I don't know).
Concerning Oneshots... That's the kind of stuff I didn't have time to mess up with, since it means importing the Age in Blender, creating an empty to tell the avatar where he has to start the anim, re-export and edit the exported stuff, edit the PythonFileMod and Python file, and even then I'm not sure the lever rotation animation would fit. I prefer spending more time on other fixes.

I forgot some things:
- the Yeesha books lack some textures and images. I could bring back most of them but I had to edit the GUI BkBookImages, which is harder to share since there are different versions of it (Offline KI users, ...). It means distributing Cyan's textures, which I don't really like.
- the Linking Books work as Myst V (with the nice linking panel and stuff), but once again it requires editing BkBookImages and another Python script which is different for some users (for instance, my version of it is different of the Offline KI since I tweaked it a bit).
- You might want to link to the Shaft using Direbo's Linking Books.... I've just added a thing I though could be fun, some might not like, especially since it is sometimes buggy.
- EAX works again (not exactly as in Myst V but quite close to it)
- [edit] I added a few (untested) fixes to make the Shaft multiplayer-compatible.
Sirius

Postby Annabelle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm lost :(

I don't understand this part:

Then, you must use PlasmaShop (downloadable at the Guild of Writers) to open dat/Fonts.pfp in your Myst V folder.
Extract all the files beginning by "Yeesha2" to your Uru dat folder.

When I'm trying to open Fonts.pfp I get an error message saying that I don't have an editor to open it:

Is there something I'm missing or something I don't understand?
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby wodan944 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:23 am

And I have a problem with prpshop;
I followed the Install.txt inclosed and when I come to the part where it said using prpshop and open the file "DescentMystV_District"and that is so far I understand, but I cant rightclick on the pagename (the one with the little green book in front of it) for importing the files from the UOF folder with the same name.
And there is no option for importing. What do I wrong?
Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way.

Edward De Bono
wodan944

Postby Sirius » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 am

Annabelle wrote:When I'm trying to open Fonts.pfp I get an error message saying that I don't have an editor to open it:
:shock: That's strange, it works fine for me. You can try using the old version of PlasmaShop (2.2.6). Anyway, if you don't manage to extract them, that doesn't really matter. This is just the font for Yeesha Booklets, if Uru doesn't find it it will simply default to another font.

wodan944 wrote:And I have a problem with prpshop;
I followed the Install.txt inclosed and when I come to the part where it said using prpshop and open the file "DescentMystV_District"and that is so far I understand, but I cant rightclick on the pagename (the one with the little green book in front of it) for importing the files from the UOF folder with the same name.
And there is no option for importing. What do I wrong?
A green book ? It looks like you opened it with PlasmaShop... PRPShop should be in the folder where you installed PlasmaShop. You should take a look at PlasmaShop and PRPShop pictures to be sure which one you're using.

Sorry if this all is a bit technical to install, it sure isn't as easy as filling two fields in Drizzle and clicking "Start" button...
Sirius

Postby wodan944 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:13 am

@Sirius;

It seems I used an older version of prpshop, I downloaded the new version and every thing went ok.
I must say I'am impressed, :o everything worked fine for me in The GreatShaft, the books, the levers and the elevators.
Thank you. :) :)
Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way.

Edward De Bono
wodan944

Postby PeterC » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:43 pm

While you're at it, why not add Myst V's Myst Island?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one. -Dendwaler

Have you even TRIED to set up a client and server? THAT takes ages. -PeterC
PeterC

Next

Return to General Discussion