remake Myst DS or 3DS

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

remake Myst DS or 3DS

Postby zeke365 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:24 pm

I have made of couple of videos, though i no techno guru. Remake the Myst for DS (even though came to 3DS has one on DS already made ). This would feature the point and click interface. Basically you would have 4 arrows on the touch screen. Those arrows would be up, down, right and left. The the middle where the touch screen is where arrows are not presented would be touch and you move forward. That is the interface.
The puzzle that would utilize this is the clock tower. Basically you press the arrow down and the two wheels would be on the touch screen. On the top screen would be the clock and you would use the the touch screen in order to click on the wheels, there would be no cursor either. Now when you looked down you won't be able to move and notes will appear on top screen if you click on them. In the elevator you would have to look down to extend to two screens. Basically if you looked down the Top screen would stay where it was, but the the touch screen would see the wooden bridge. So the screens would extend two screens every time you looked down and touch something.
zeke365

Re: remake Myst DS or 3DS

Postby Lyrositor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:43 pm

There are so many things that are impossible, unfeasible, and unnecessary about this idea.

For one thing, we don't own Myst. Cyan does. If this was to be accomplished, Cyan would have to do it, or give us the content (and THAT will happen :roll: ; Myst is one of the few things bringing them money right now, especially with the realMyst iPad launch). So unless we were to recreate all the graphics, videos, characters, etc. it's not happening.

Secondly, you point it out yourself: "even though came to 3DS has one on DS already made". There already IS one, and it is terrible. Working on the DS would require massive amounts of money to get access to the SDK, which only a corporation can provide (or an inordinately generous community, whereas Uru's is already struggling to pay the bills for MO:ULa).

Thirdly, why? Isn't realMyst, realMyst iOS, Myst for iPhone, Myst for PC, Myst for Mac, Myst for Playstation, Myst for Playstation Portable, Myst for Nintendo DS/3DS, Myst for AmigaOS, Myst for 3DO, Myst for Sega Saturn, Myst for Atari Jaguar and Myst for CD-i enough? Why Yet Another Remake of Myst? We've all played Myst, Cyan has tried marketing it to today's crowd and failed (with moderate success with realMyst), and we've already been subjected to a poor port to DS. Is another really necessary?

Fourthly and finally, again, can you really contribute anything to such a project? There's already an extremely interesting project called the Starry Expanse project to recreate Riven in real-time. Why not focus efforts there instead on YARM? That is, if you can contribute; making videos is not the same thing as making a game. You'd need programmers, artists, actors, etc. all the usual crew for live-action games, not to mention the green screens, the props... You seem to think this is a better idea than your previous one, but it has all the same flaws, and more, since we have no way to distribute content for this (without recreating it entirely).

Be content with all the remakes we already have, and the work being done on MO:UL. For me, that's enough, and I'm very excited about what is being worked on right now thanks to open-source. Nobody needs a huge, monstrous and pointless project to waste their time, since it wouldn't benefit anyone.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Return to General Discussion