Where are all the Ages?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Aloys » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:50 pm

Hi all,

It seems there's been a slight lack of activity lately on the Age development front. The plugin guys have been hard at work, but the Ages are.. where?
This summer it seemed like everyone was releasing an Age or working on one. I know there's been september and october, and it's usually a period of work for most people, and I know some of you are working on side projects (such as Ahra Pahts shells which is great :) ) but where are all the Ages now? There are maybe half a dozen Ages waiting for some updates.
Have some of you made some progress? Does anyone need help?

I'll start: as you probably know Ahra Pahts has made some slow progress lately because of several important bugs. But those will be fixed a way or another in the upcoming days. Because if I can't fix them I'll go mad. :blink:

What about your Ages?
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:21 pm

Alright: I'll post my little update...

I’ve been worked to a standstill on the Shore. What with the Hub, the Doorways Project, and various other small projects I’m working on, in addition to the fact that I want to incorporate nearly all of the plugin’s new features in order to create the Age of much higher artistic quality than my last, I’ve been completely bogged down. Hopefully, soon…

The Hub (and I’ll probably post more about this in my journal in a few days time) is still very much underway. Right now I’m working on refining some new floor patterns on the Lower Level. I’ve almost completely moved past structural design at this point. Couple of new embellishments, etc., though nothing extraordinarily revolutionary. Sorry I haven’t been keeping you all up-to-date on it.

Other Age-related projects – I have several more concepts to expound upon once the ISA series is complete. Concepts include plans for an Eder, designs for an Age completely lacking land (it’ll be a floating structure of some kind, probably a D’ni-style steamship), and the revisal and updating of both areas of Vaiskor. Beyond that… who knows? Probably an Ahra Pahts shell or two, at least to begin with.

Point of confusion: was UAM ever brought back online? I must have missed the announcement if it was. :rolleyes:
J'anim Paedet

Postby Mystified Explorer » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 pm

I can assure you Ive been doing heaps of work on SftSoK ages. We'll be releasing screenshots soon :) Other than that, I haven't done much.
Mystified Explorer

Postby Paradox » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:39 pm

[quote="Mystified Explorer"] I can assure you Ive been doing heaps of work . . .. Other than that, I haven't done much.

Isn't that a contradiction? :lol:

I haven't really done anything. I've been gathering ideas for my shell, and developing the plugin.

I write software, you use it, you complain to me when it doesn't work :P
Paradox

Postby Branan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:34 pm

I spent the first half of the summer learning how the Age-makig process works, and since mid-late August, I've been working on making it easier. Once I have my GUI script done, I might actually do something that's not a test age. Like my Pahts shells. I have one of them planned out in my head, and I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do with the other. I'll start building as soon as my GUI allows for it :)

Once those are done, I'll probably get started on an age of my own. Or I might do more Pahts shells. I haven't really decided yet.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:33 am

I've been working on finishing up the textures for Prin Pahts, the map room/nexus for Ahra Pahts. Aloys and T.S.Kimball have agreed to help me with the floor textures; once I receive them and finish other changes (e.g. environment mapping the crystals to make them glassy, redoing the spotlight), I should be finished.

I've also helped out Jonnee with his Jo'nae age's scripts - see this thread at Alcugs:

http://alcugs.almlys.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229

He included links to some screenshots - check them out!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:37 am

I have been working on the Blender plugin adding new classes and functionality. I am also currently learning how to use 3ds Max (and will be using it for a project in school) and hope to actually learn something about blender eventually.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Branan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:19 pm

"Learn Something about Blender" is definately the right phrasing. I don't think even Ton knows how all of Blender works anymore :P
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Trylon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:38 pm

I'm working on an update of Niveerah, which will contain a number of features that were recently added.

Currently ,I still have to model some rooms I have in planning.

Though if Zib has UAM up and running shortly, I might put things up a little early, and jsut place barricades in front of non-finished parts ;)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby electroglyph » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:59 pm

Funny you should mention it.

I was told not to show anything and take my webpage down before the gametap thing was announced. I asked to put something back up. Just got this reply from Cyan legal.

Re: development webpage approval

John - looking through my pending folder I came across this request. 
Is it still active? Sorry for the delay.

Tony
On Aug 19, 2006, at 6:53 AM, John Henry wrote:

Dear Mr. Fryman,

Now that the deal between Cyan and Gametap is done I
would like to put up a webpage detailing creation of
my fan age called Tempis. This would detail methods
used to model and texture the objects used in the
level. I could also begin to get some feedback about
how others like the age.

So I guess I need a development journal. :)
electroglyph

Next

Return to General Discussion