Permission

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Permission

Postby Whilyam » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:00 am

Just curious, do we still need to get permission from Cyan to make ages? Or does this only apply to "D'ni ages"?

Right now I'm making two ages that are entirely my own. Do I need to get permission?
Whilyam

Re: Permission

Postby belford » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:11 am

As far as I know, nobody knows.

We've had many months of speculation -- including some speculation from Cyan. They've talked about not allowing players to write D'ni ages, or D'ni history, or libraries or nexuses. Lots of "maybes", preliminary ideas from past years, guidelines from when UU was the only way to play Uru and people were making UU Ages. Nothing that lays down the law for the new Guild system in MOUL.

If you ask me (which you're not, I know) I'd say that everything we do today falls under the same guidelines as fanfic. Ask for permission before using material which Cyan has directly copyrighted. Label any D'ni history you write as fanfic, and assume it's non-canonical.
belford

Postby Whilyam » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 pm

belford wrote:As far as I know, nobody knows.

We've had many months of speculation -- including some speculation from Cyan. They've talked about not allowing players to write D'ni ages, or D'ni history, or libraries or nexuses. Lots of "maybes", preliminary ideas from past years, guidelines from when UU was the only way to play Uru and people were making UU Ages. Nothing that lays down the law for the new Guild system in MOUL.

If you ask me (which you're not, I know) I'd say that everything we do today falls under the same guidelines as fanfic. Ask for permission before using material which Cyan has directly copyrighted. Label any D'ni history you write as fanfic, and assume it's non-canonical.

Good. None of what I'm doing has anything to do with D'ni. The age I'm making is written by me and given a name which means something in D'ni.

*goes back to work*
Whilyam

Postby Paradox » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Whilyam wrote:Good. None of what I'm doing has anything to do with D'ni. The age I'm making is written by me and given a name which means something in D'ni.

*goes back to work*

That should be fine.

Cyan first set down some guidelines in 2005 when the tools were released (don't violate other copyrights, don't destroy our storyline, don't touch the D'ni Cavern). In January/February 2006 (shortly before D'mala opened), Cyan asked all Age development to stop while they reassessed their legal situation. They started to allow Age developers to continue building the Ages, but not releasing them. Eventually people started releasing Ages again, whether they had permission or not is something that I don't know.
Paradox

Return to General Discussion