Movingmoving URU offline from Win XP to a new Win 7 computer

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Movingmoving URU offline from Win XP to a new Win 7 comp

Postby diafero » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 am

Uru files do not carry any referenced with them. I've had the Uru folder I am using right know on at least five different locations already, on three different computers and three different operating systems. It's still working :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby dendwaler » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:00 am

. I've had the Uru folder I am using right know on at least five different locations already

For me the same.
It survived several pc changes and operating systems.

I do have a good copy, including most fan ages on a 16Gbyte USB stick.
I can run it from there on any windows PC, a new installation is never necessary.
Some times i copy it to the HDD, but only because it runs faster from there, shorter loading times.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby hhhenry » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Soooo I started back at the beginning, copying my old computer's folder to a flash drive, copying that to my new computer in a safe place (8000+ files, 12GB), copying that to C Users [Me], clicked URU.exe - screen came up, play URU, all is well.
Uninstalled Complete UrU from C programs86, Ubisoft, etc
clicked on URU.exe at my new location again, screen came up, play URU "file not found erro#" so Uru.exe is busted now.
Clicked on UruExplorer.exe - screen listing user etc came up, play, all is well
go figure
Finally
All is working well EXCEPT Drizzle will freeze the download part way UNLESS my antivirus/firewall are turned off. PC Internet Security

New subject, but related - things going better:
I didn't get the memo on the change of website for Drizzle and the continuation of adding fan ages -- and I was looking and checking - very glad I found it here. I wish it were summer in San Antonio when it is toooo hot to even go out, everything stops, and I could blow a whole weekend in Somewhere.
Odema always crashed on my old machine at start. I can now see it's a beautiful age, I'm sorry it's not being updated
Zephyr cove always had problems - now its doing great

Thanks to all of you for helping me through this oddessy.
hhhenry

Postby Sirius » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:27 am

Yeah, Uru.exe is the only thing (I believe) that requires Uru to be correctly installed. But it isn't of much use, better run UruSetup.exe instead.
Glad to hear it's working at last ! Are the Relto pages working as well ?
Sirius

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:58 am

UruSetup.exe will run as administrator. It is generally a bad idea to run a game as administrator as there is no need for a game to have such high privileges - and games not not known for being particularly secure (actually, almost each time someone looks at security in games, it breaks down entirely). You can just rename UruSetup.exe to Uru.exe, the two files are the same. If the game does not work when run as user, something in your setup is wrong, usually the problem is that you put Uru into C:\Program Files, while it should reside in C:\Users\<Your Username>.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby hhhenry » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:28 pm

All Relto pages are working fine, did from the beginning of this. That's a wicked pumpkin on the left accompanied, as I discovered, by a tarantula!
hhhenry

Previous

Return to General Discussion