Movingmoving URU offline from Win XP to a new Win 7 computer

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Movingmoving URU offline from Win XP to a new Win 7 computer

Postby hhhenry » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:12 pm

WITHOUT having to do Minkata again. It's been sooooooo long since I installed. I found a link from 2008 that references Writer's guild as source.
Thanks!! MOUL installed with no problem.
Better clarify - moving from an old 2003 computer to a new 2012 computer
hhhenry

Re: Movingmoving URU offline from Win XP to a new Win 7 comp

Postby Charura » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:02 pm

is there a question lurking here?
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby dtierce » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 am

It is my impression that he would like to know how to migrate the game to his new system without losing his saved game. I believe this can be accomplished by copying the save files under the program installation to the fresh install. I don't recall the exact pathname, but the offline save folder should be in the Uru Pots or UruCC folder under Program Files. I do not have Win7, but I recall discussions saying the new program installation *must* be made with Administrator privileges in that new environment. The saved files will probably need to be copied with that same privilege. Please correct me if anything I have said is inaccurate.

David Tierce
MOULa-KI: 15763576
GEHN-KI: 00022090
DI-KI: 00145074
dtierce

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:29 am

The easiest thing to do is to copy the old Uru folder (which is usually somewhere in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft) to the "Saved Games" folder of your Win7 user. That will copy both the game and the saved data. Tgere is no need to re-install the game.

I do not have Win7, but I recall discussions saying the new program installation *must* be made with Administrator privileges in that new environment. The saved files will probably need to be copied with that same privilege
The best thing to do is to put stuff into your suer folder, so Uru doesn't need administrator privileges.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 am

If you want to copy your saved games from one Uru folder to another, copy these folders:
- "SAV" folder. This include almost everything.
- "KIImages". This includes KI shots, but isn't required if you use the Offline KI
- "MyJournals". Contains your personal journal you find on Relto.
- "MyMusic" (not required). Contains the music files you added to be played on the Relto music box.
There might be more files to copy if you use the Offline-KI, but you should have basically everything.

Note: when running Uru on Windows 7, you lose all the reverb effects (EAX).
Uru might also crash if you take a KI-shot. This can be solved by downloading the no-cd patch from Drizzle.
Sirius

Postby hhhenry » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks!! I am in the final stages (agonys) of the move to the new computer - the last part is games.
hhhenry

Postby hhhenry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Not that easy - so far by far
Diafero's solution - play uru - "unable to open file error #"

I installed complete chronicles from the cds, merged the folders Sirius listed plus any folder that wasn't there and anything to do with drizzle
Opened Drizzle - redirected the file location, Redirected the site location, downloaded and installed age list and no cd patch (it worked)
(Found the notes on Win7/Vista glitches reffed in Drizzle and patched them)
Tried to download the latest ki several times but in kept stopping about a third of the way thru. I found that I had to disable my entire security software, PC tools Internet Security, in order to download ages. Also, that some folder I moved over had all the downloads but I still have to use Drizzle to install.
Opened the game, found my character - It looks like I've completed all the paths but the Relto is bare and my book is empty of pages. (Except for Relto pages from Drizzle and fireflies.) All the clothing I found/earned is there too.
Perhaps the file/folder merge was a bad idea. Delete and replace whole sav folder might be a better idea. No, that didn't help
:roll:
hhhenry

Postby Jojon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:20 am

For what it's worth, I made the exact transition just the other day and I just plugged in the harddrive from my old XP computer and ran PotS from right there...
Jojon

Postby hhhenry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 am

So, I have everything except:
No pages (except the ones from drizzle)
No stone rings, sparks etc
What file or folder do I transfer in to get those back????
hhhenry

Postby Sirius » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Hmmm, all these problems might come from the SDL... Make sure the file SDL/Personal.sdl is the same in your new version (if you installed the lastest Offline-KI it should be the case).
Sirius

Next

Return to General Discussion