ICEWORLD (after Somewhere)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: ICEWORLD (after Somewhere)

Postby gabriml » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks for the replies but I'll wail till Diafero sets it up. I don't want to mess up my URU install.
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby diafero » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:01 am

Actually, you do not even need me to disable some cheating commands: All you need to do is to set up an age descriptor as described in the wiki - which is generally a good idea as it means I do not have to find out how you'd like the age name to be displayed in the KI, etc. And then you add an additional line to the age descriptor:

Code: Select all
noCheats=true

Also, the age ships a large amount of sound files which do not follow the proper file name conventions: As all ages' sound files are put into the same folder, the filenames should start with a four-letter prefix denoting the age, like Cyan did. Also see http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/UAM# ... ge_via_UAM . It shares some sound files with Somewhere, which can cause trouble for Drizzle users: When an explorer installs both Somewhere and Iceworld, and then uninstalls one of them, those sound files will be deleted. Be sure to remember this when someone complains about missing sound files.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 am

Okay, the age is on the Shard and will soon be in UAM. I removed all the sound files duplicated with Dream and Somewhere, and the file 'blzewind1.ogg' which was not used by the age.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Annabelle » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks Diafero for the tip.

But still, it doesn't resolve the issue at all. I mean... what's the difference between including a nocheat line to prevent cheating and staying away from cheating? I was more thinking of a way for you to tell Denost how to make his ages (Somewhere/Iceworld) locked ones.

I think I'm old enough to comply on no cheat without me putting a cheat-proof on the ages I visit ;) .

----

With that said :? I just realized yesterday that... well... I found a breach in Iceworld design without wanting it and went directly to the ending without solving the age. And I screwed some puzzles too. I solved them before I was suppose to. If Charura reads this, well now you have the proof, I do explore by jumping everywhere so I find breaches. Now I'm kind of lost because I'm trying to redo the age correctly and that's difficult since I saw things I wasn't suppose to. And I didn't cheat (NO flymode, NO spawn, NO jump command, only standard run-jumps, walk-jumps!!!). It happened to me in every ages I've tried to solved though :lol: , I always screw things up then try to repair my "exploration vice" ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:32 am

Thank you for your answers, Annabelle, I didn't know that some of those lights in the background
were links, that's great, of course, so, now you know why I was asking, because I was stuck in that
bits and bytes plastered staircase building ... :lol:
janaba

Postby diafero » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:01 am

Annabelle wrote:Thanks Diafero for the tip.

But still, it doesn't resolve the issue at all. I mean... what's the difference between including a nocheat line to prevent cheating and staying away from cheating? I was more thinking of a way for you to tell Denost how to make his ages (Somewhere/Iceworld) locked ones.
That noCheat line is exactly what makes an age locked ;-). Adrael, Sonavio and a few others have it, and if Denost wants it for his ages, all he has to do is to send me an update of his ages with the new age descriptor file (of course you can just send me the file, if the whole rest of the age did not change).

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby denost2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:05 am

Thank you all for your remarks.
- Ok Diafero, hoping to have understood your suggestion here is the text file for Iceworld : http://www.sendspace.com/file/ewd2gm
(the rest of the Age is not modified)
- OK Diafero I will try to respect the sound files conventions for next Age (If there is one...)

For players and explorers : generally I prefer to be silent on the Age exploration itself.
I just precise I think it is not possible to appreciate not only the logic but also the story line without respecting the chronology of the discoveries.
It could even happen the player would never see some places.

I hope you enjoy
denost2

Postby Annabelle » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Exploration completed :D

I restarted from scratch and did it chronologically. What an awesome adventure! You have nice logic puzzles, awesome areas to explore, awesome animation sequences, flying objects to travel between areas. The final area is ... well find out for yourselves. I ground my teeth a lot. Looking at a door and wondering why it wouldn't open until I did something else beforehand then retry. The other awesome thing about this age is that you have to do skilled moves at least 2 times during the gameplay. It's well-balanced between logic puzzles and moving your avatar puzzles.

The only issue is the text screens. I don't know if it's intended that way but we can see some text in reverse as if the screens were all broken and the text goes real fast. I had to re-read at least twice each story to catch everything.

Definitely explorers will put that age in their favorites. Definitely going on mine for sure :D !

I'm waiting for the next fan age now.

BIG HUGE SPOILER (DO NOT LOOK, YOU WILL SEE THE FINAL AREA...)
You know you shouldn't click on the link below, you have still one chance left, the next spoiler contains the picture... You have been warned :lol:

Show Spoiler
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby gabriml » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm in the tower and can't figure out multi-door puzzle.
Show Spoiler
Can some one give help?
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby Ehren » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:28 am

Is this supposed to be a stand-alone age, or go through the "Somewhere" age first?

Since I have a VERY customized offline install, I'm wondering if I should create a link directly to the Iceworld age, or if there is some link in Somewhere that players are supposed to have to find before accessing Iceworld. (I ask since the title says AFTER somewhere)
Ehren

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion