ICEWORLD (after Somewhere)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: ICEWORLD (after Somewhere)

Postby janaba » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:38 am

Ehren wrote:Is this supposed to be a stand-alone age, or go through the "Somewhere" age first?

It's accessible independently through the Nexus or with /link iceworld (with Drizzle/OfflineKI) ... :P
janaba

Postby Annabelle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:16 am

@ Ehren: There's indeed a strong link between Somewhere and Iceworld. There's a hidden room in Somewehere reachable at the very end of your exploration after solving every puzzles. You have a linking book for Iceworld with a footnote stating that the link is broken.

I hope that eventually Denost will patch his Somewhere so the link can be activated. There's a thing though... Somewhere is already huge. Even knowing it by heart, playing it without cheat can take over an hour. Now if you add Iceworld with at least another hour of gameplay, that's a lot. I just hope Iceworld doesn't become a "reward" age after Somewhere completion ;)

@Mark:

Show Spoiler

Good Luck and if you need more help just ask.
Last edited by Annabelle on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 am

I updated the age descriptor on DI Shard, so your age is now in no-cheat mode. I did not update the UAM package since this flag is ignored in the offline game - if you're a Shard admin reading this, please update the descriptor on your Shard as well ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby janaba » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 am

I've explored the 'Iceworld' age yesterday and I'm absolutely impressed, denost2 ... :P

Annabelle described it already so beautifully, which particularly inspired me to
explore it more deeply ... Those two ages 'Somewhere' as well as the 'Iceworld'
are almost games in themselves ... Your richness of ideas and your skill level to
create all of this and to make all the interactivity etc. possible, are astounding ...

I've had lots of fun with roaming (and flying through haha) the landscapes and
underground bases, activating everything etc. and all is wrapped into a great story ...
What an adventure! as Annabelle already announced ... Awesome job, denost2 ... :)

In my latest update of the ages PDF file with the 'Iceworld' I've used your so very
beautiful review as the age description, Annabelle, it is splendid, short and to the
point ... I hope that's ok for you ... I didn't mention your name, but I've given the
link for more information, hints and tips of this forum's thread, so, anybody more
interested would find this was yours ... :D
janaba

Postby Annabelle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Oh yes please do so I'm glad I've participated in a way in your walkthrough project. :D

I could provide you with a complete Iceworld walkthrough too but it's still early for that I think ;)

A tip for the hardest puzzle of the age: the 6 passageways.

Show Spoiler
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby denost2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Annabelle and Janaba
Thank you for your reactions
You appreciate the work (many and many months) and it is a great help for me.

Annabelle, you are a "star" for the exploration.
Your vivacity and rapidity are impressive. You have found some details I never thought it was possible to.

But you are the only contributors ... and that is a source of astonishment for me
I do not ask congratulations... but any reaction (critics...) would prove that the time spent to build the Age is not completely lost.

Diafero. Thank you to have integrated Iceworld in your DI.

Bye
denost2

Postby Annabelle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Thx Denost2 :)

For critics, well... it's hard since I didn't find anything BIG. I'm thinking of a cave in Iceworld that has "blinking" walls as if there were 2 textures overlapping on each others. Maybe that's intended to drag our curiosity for us to go there. I went there quite rapidly seeing that strange behaviour.

I think I made some critics about your story already. It's a nice story and it's fully integrated with Somewhere one. I replayed Somewhere BTW and now I understand a bit more of what I wasn't understanding at first in that age. I was criticizing the fact that your screens go too fast and that in certain angles, we see the next screen on reverse on corners so it makes the reading really hard. I had to re-read twice each screen to get the full story.

Maybe other explorers are shy or are too busy. I'm playing offline, I don't know how many go online. Diafero may have stats for that. I know that there wasn't much new stuff in 2012 on Alcugs shards/Drizzle so maybe a lot of explorers are unaware. I even told a french guy the other day: "Did you play Iceworld lately?" He answered me: "What's that?" This thread has been read by many (we have also to take into account people like me who came on this thread almost 20-25 times making stats a bit difficult to evaluate in term of thread's visibility)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby dtierce » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:16 pm

denost2 wrote:I do not ask congratulations... but any reaction (critics...) would prove that the time spent to build the Age is not completely lost.

I'll confess that I haven't visited Iceworld yet, but I'm looking forward to spending time there. I am not yet a Drizzle user, so I was waiting for it to become part of Deep Island.

I found Somewhere to be an extremely fun age to explore to its end. It was obviously a huge effort and much appreciated. I'm a refugee from the Maintainer's guild, so I feel like I should file an inspection report, but with the collapse of that guild I don't know where to post it. Are you interested in plugging a couple of holes I found there or do you consider that age "done"?

Annabelle's idea to use markers as an aid to exploration is great. I could have used them to help map out some of the tunnels in Somewhere that confused me during my first explorations.

Thank you for your efforts. I'm sure I will enjoy Iceworld as much as Somewhere. I'll post again after I've done some exploration.

David Tierce
MOULa-KI: 15763576
GEHN-KI: 00022090
DI-KI: 00145074
dtierce

Postby Annabelle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:41 pm

You got it right dtierce. :)

The markers are "by definition" something to help you. You can store informations or just lay them down to know what you've already explored what you didn't yet.

Somewhere is a good example. I'm still getting lost everytime I'm going there.

Takla Ma'kan and its insane maze, that's another example. I made my way out of there using markers.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby JanB » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm impressed with Iceworld which performs a whole lot better than the Somewhere age did in the beginning.
It is a huge age again. There is a whole lot of things to explore and puzzles to solve yet for me there again.

I 'missing the spawn option a little bit now , I was using in order to get an initial impression, when first installed it on my local setup I also use for testing some other ages. But what I realy do miss is an option to reset the age ( as a personal instance or so ).

I noticed when I visited IceWorld for the first time on the Deep Island shard that de puzzle in the 'binary' building was already solved , obviously by someone else.
Show Spoiler

But thanks for the great work you did again creating this age anyway! I hope to spend a lot more time exploring IceAge again when I have the oportunity to do so.
Last edited by JanB on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JanB

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion