ICEWORLD (after Somewhere)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: ICEWORLD (after Somewhere)

Postby Ainia » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Shorah denost2,

Thanks for the new comments. Here are some more from me (along with a few screenshots and fraps videos):

Show Spoiler
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Annabelle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I tried your method Ainia; I never succeeded that way. I went for the "hard trail" instead: the dish climb.

Now it seems Denost will have 2 things to modify :lol:
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby gabriml » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:39 pm

How did you get FRAPS to work on your Mac?
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby denost2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Ainia wrote:Thanks for the new comments. Here are some more from me (along with a few screenshots and fraps videos):

What an interesting post ! Very useful. Videos are a good idea to explain.
So I found a partcular hidden error. This one is why some red buttons in the nexus do not work. Thank you Ainia.

Show Spoiler
denost2

Postby Ainia » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Shorah gabriml,

The screenshots are from my UruCC install on bootcamp. I have never been able to get UruCC to work correctly directly on my Mac via Wineskin (I get an immediate stack dump when starting). So fraps is installed on bootcamp. I haven't yet found a good equivalent for fraps on a Mac (sorry), though now that you mention it, it might be worthwhile to see if I can get fraps to work via a Wineskin.

I have used a demo version of Screenflow a few times on my Mac for recording MOULa video, but the paid version a fairly expensive option for an occasional user like me.
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby gabriml » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm

FRAPS does not work in Wine (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=19273). That is why I asked. I also have bootcamp Win 7 which runs FRAPS fine.

I also cannot get URUCC working in Wine. I know Diafero has it running in Wine in LINUX (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5526&p=56604&hilit=urucc+wine#p56579).

I prefer Wine for TOC-MOUL since COD crashes a lot for me in Windows.
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby dtierce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:58 am

This might be the wrong thread for this post. I'm having a technical problem specifically with Iceworld. I see that others have been exploring this age, so the problem might be on my end.

Behavior:
I link into the first big dark room where the Guardian asks me not to use Fly-mode. I agree and it begins to link me into the main(?) part of the age. Then I see a progress bar and a message on my screen saying "Linking to Iceworld... Authenticating" where it hangs for a minute or two. Then the game quits with an error pop-up saying "ERROR. AUTH RESPONSE FAILED". This happens every time for Iceworld. I have never gotten past the first big dark room. I've successfully explored many other ages without seeing this failure. The only other time I've seen this error is occasionally when I "/!resetage" in "Somewhere" (which I have already completed).

I am running Windows XP using a DeepIsland installation on a thumbdrive with plenty of space (16Gb free). I have tried completely reinstalling DeepIsland from scratch without any change to these symptoms. As I said before, I have not had this trouble with any other age.

Does anyone have a clue what I can do to resolve this? I'd really like to see Iceworld.

David Tierce
MOULa-KI: 15763576
GEHN-KI: 00022090
DI-KI: 00145074
dtierce

Postby denost2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:43 am

Object:
update V2 of Iceworld following some remarks of explorers

Description:
1. correction of BlueTower blocker
2. improvement of ladders in general
3. modification concerning red buttons of the initial nexus. Several buttons did not work correctly

Installation:
Download and expand the file linked here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/emyhu7
So you obtain 7 individual files
Place them in the dat folder of the URU installation replacing the previous files
Folders SDL, sfx and python are not concerned by this update
denost2

Postby dtierce » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

(copied from DeepIsland thread on a technical problem with IceWorld)

Hooray!! I finally made it into Iceworld!

I still did not see any links in the initial dark room other than the "agree" and "disagree" buttons. I tried dismissing the linking book and looking around after "agreeing", but there was no change to the other pedestals in the room.

In desperation, I moved my DeepIsland installation back to my hard-drive. The link presented to me worked this time and I made it to the "binary room" and beyond. This world is at least as vast as "Somewhere" and I can already tell that many hours will be spent there. So far, I've flown in two different vehicles before falling and Relto'ing from a series of platforms on pistons in a water-filled canyon.

Thanks, Denost2, for another wonderful age!!

I conclude that the slight performance degradation from the previous use of a thumb drive caused some kind of timing problem resulting in the "auth response failure". However, that only happened with IceWorld for some reason.

David Tierce
MOULa-KI: 15763576
GEHN-KI: 00022090
DI-KI: 00145074
dtierce

Postby Ainia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:52 am

Shorah denost2,

Many thanks for your update. I've installed it and am finding the improvements work very nicely indeed! My nexus linking panels are now making much more sense (no blank books or repeated panel images). :D

I'm trying to figure out if there are parts of the Age that I just haven't figured out properly or if something isn't working right, so I'll spoiler the next bits:

Yellow area Show Spoiler

The hut Show Spoiler

Lighted ring Show Spoiler

Transport nexus Show Spoiler

If you'd be willing to let me know how to determine if something isn't working right for the above topics, I'd be very appreciative! My main concern is whether the order I used in reaching the end game (plus accidentally flying the transport through the roof because I jumped the barrier) messed up anything else (might be causing some of the spoilered issues above).

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not reply here. Thanks!
ImageImage
Ainia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion