The Writer's Pub: Renovation?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: The Writer's Pub: Renovation?

Postby Nev'yn » Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 am

Well, as several of you know, I've always been a supporter of overhauling the pubs. Personally, I feel just some sort of minor chances...
...like Tweek's idea posted elsewhere would be nice:

http://www.guildofwriters.org/tweek/uru ... uild-pubs/

But hey, as we can't modifty cyan's files....

(/me shrugs)
KI# 14883206 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)
Nev'yn

Postby Deledrius » Fri May 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Simple additions like those are actually doable without needing to modify the existing Age data. A bit of a pain, but no more so than what's been done with the stained glass on Gehn.

If only the Nexus were so easy... :(
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Fri May 03, 2013 2:27 pm

I can do something in a prp file, like a good replica of the Kahlo Tavern style tables, I don't have access to the textures on those tables but I may be able to whip something up if any one is interested
Unless you had something else in mind, let me know.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Nev'yn » Fri May 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Well, I would second the additions to the pubs...but I don't think I have voting rights over here.

Oh, while we're on a related topic, I don't seem to the correct permissions post things on the Messengers Imager on the GS.... :D
KI# 14883206 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)
Nev'yn

Postby Karkadann » Sat May 04, 2013 2:54 pm

The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Afalstein » Fri May 31, 2013 5:57 pm

Related-but-not-really-on-topic update. I've been in contact with Cyan recently about possible modifications to the Writer's Guild Hood, requesting a table of Writer's Guild shirts and perhaps a view extra television screens to display our in progress fan Ages. She said that other guilds have also requested tables with shirts for their "hoods" and suggested we get together with them. Here's the exact text.

We recently had a similar request from another guild and what you have proposed makes sense. I would recommend that you meet with the other sanctioned guilds (Guild of Greeters, Guild of Messengers, Guild of Maintainers, and Guild of Cartographers) and see if they are all on board for this same concept. Then, once you have all your thoughts together, put together a proposal and submit it for consideration.

In the meantime, I will check to see where you should submit your proposal… This is something that will be exclusive to the guild hoods, so there will be some coding that needs to be done. Since Cyan is no longer developing the game, I am not sure where to direct you just yet.

Vicki

Anyway. This is more of a heads-up more than anything else. I guess it would be cool if whoever is presenting for the Writer's Guild (Hoikas?) could bring this up, but otherwise I will probably also be there and could PM Doobes about it or something.
Afalstein

Postby Nev'yn » Fri May 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Well, instead of several extra imagers, why not replace the fountain with a large imager? (An idea I talked with Ly about a while ago.) What gave me this idea was when he used a trick of "techo-wizardry" to make the fountain disappear.

Also if someone could "sticky"' the GoMe hood under the GoG it would be quite helpful...
...I place news posts there on the right imager for those who don't think nd/or have the shirt to check the GoMe pub for in-cavern news.

Lastly, Nexus terminals in the pubs would be nice too....if I didn't mention that before.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Nev'yn

Postby GPNMilano » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Afalstein wrote:Related-but-not-really-on-topic update. I've been in contact with Cyan recently about possible modifications to the Writer's Guild Hood, requesting a table of Writer's Guild shirts and perhaps a view extra television screens to display our in progress fan Ages. She said that other guilds have also requested tables with shirts for their "hoods" and suggested we get together with them. Here's the exact text.

We recently had a similar request from another guild and what you have proposed makes sense. I would recommend that you meet with the other sanctioned guilds (Guild of Greeters, Guild of Messengers, Guild of Maintainers, and Guild of Cartographers) and see if they are all on board for this same concept. Then, once you have all your thoughts together, put together a proposal and submit it for consideration.

In the meantime, I will check to see where you should submit your proposal… This is something that will be exclusive to the guild hoods, so there will be some coding that needs to be done. Since Cyan is no longer developing the game, I am not sure where to direct you just yet.

Vicki

Anyway. This is more of a heads-up more than anything else. I guess it would be cool if whoever is presenting for the Writer's Guild (Hoikas?) could bring this up, but otherwise I will probably also be there and could PM Doobes about it or something.

The best way to get Cyan's attention on something like this, and make it easier for them to implement and thus worth implementing, would be to create a max file with all the wiring and everything done, then Cyan would simply need to merge this max file with their own for the neighborhood and reexport the hoods. The addition should be on it's own seperate PRP, so as not to conflict with the existing settings Cyan already has for the hood. The Neighborhood.py script could then just be changed so that it reads the vault, checks to make sure the hood is a Guild Hood based on the instance name of the hood, and then pages the PRP in.

Alternatively, you could also see if Cyan would mind creating five new hoods for the guilds, with the changes added into them, but this would probably be more work and they would more than likely not be interested in doing that. Or conversely ask them if they'd be willing to let someone from the community do this using their max files for the hood.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Afalstein » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:48 am

@GPNMilano

Interesting, and very very helpful. I do not have much programming expertise, but does anyone know a capable writer who would be willing to put something like this together?

Nev'yn wrote:Well, instead of several extra imagers, why not replace the fountain with a large imager? (An idea I talked with Ly about a while ago.) What gave me this idea was when he used a trick of "techo-wizardry" to make the fountain disappear.

Also if someone could "sticky"' the GoMe hood under the GoG it would be quite helpful...
...I place news posts there on the right imager for those who don't think nd/or have the shirt to check the GoMe pub for in-cavern news.

Lastly, Nexus terminals in the pubs would be nice too....if I didn't mention that before.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Nexus terminals WOULD be nice. I must confess that the idea of having "several" imagers in the hood was so that we could differentiate between finished Ages and "in-Progress" ages. Currently we have the Gehn's Shard ages up on the imager in the GoW hood, which is great, but those are only a tiny fraction of the many ages being worked on here. I think it would be good if we could show them more of the Fan Ages that are NOT part of Gehn's shard. That way we might get more people coming in to help on specific ages.
Afalstein

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:03 am

GPNMilano wrote:The best way to get Cyan's attention on something like this, and make it easier for them to implement and thus worth implementing, would be to create a max file with all the wiring and everything done, then Cyan would simply need to merge this max file with their own for the neighborhood and reexport the hoods. The addition should be on it's own seperate PRP, so as not to conflict with the existing settings Cyan already has for the hood. The Neighborhood.py script could then just be changed so that it reads the vault, checks to make sure the hood is a Guild Hood based on the instance name of the hood, and then pages the PRP in.

The chances of Cyan doing anything themselves, aside from routine MOULa server maintenance, that requires more than three mouse clicks is extremely low. Keep in mind that every moment a Cyan employee spends on MOULa is billed to CAVCON. What Cyan *does* do is check out things that appear on the shards. Cyan has a history of allowing select people access to their assets. Who's to say the same won't happen for adding things to the hoods on MOULa? Also, let us please not hardcode any more hacks into the game python (I've spent a significant portion of my time trying to eradicate hacks like that). We have SDL show/hide scripts and shards that we can change the SDL files on. Let's do that ;)

All that being said, I certainly do support adding new things to guild hoods or the guild pubs--just had to throw out some information there. One of the things that came up on IRC last night when we first read Afalstein's post was to hold a competition of sorts for additions with the winner being added to Gehn. I think it would be a good way to make the changes visible. People have quite frankly loved the new stained glass windows on Gehn and talk about them. :)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion