A text Myst Online project

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: A text Myst Online project

Postby belford » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 pm

To type š on a Mac you need to pull up the "Special Characters..." dialog.

As you might expect, I am biased towards "easy for beginners" on this question. Explaining the N different ways of typing accented characters (on Macs, Windows, Windows without keypad... iOS, Android, ...) seems like unnecessary pain.

(Having two different mappings available seems like unnecessary pain *on top of* the necessary pain. Inevitably people will try to copy from one to the other and get even more confused.)
belford

Postby zephjc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:01 pm

belford wrote:To type š on a Mac you need to pull up the "Special Characters..." dialog.

As you might expect, I am biased towards "easy for beginners" on this question. Explaining the N different ways of typing accented characters (on Macs, Windows, Windows without keypad... iOS, Android, ...) seems like unnecessary pain.

(Having two different mappings available seems like unnecessary pain *on top of* the necessary pain. Inevitably people will try to copy from one to the other and get even more confused.)

Yeah, I meant to type that without having to use the dialog, which is pretty much can't be done with one keyboard layout.

The objection to it looking awkward in latin characters is pretty immaterial - it's not really intended to be rendered that way.
zephjc

Postby KathAveara » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 am

Course, the LM mapping need not be made known to everyone...

I do realise that this is unlikely to acutally go into Seltani, but variants of DniFont are one of my pet peeves.
Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

Postby belford » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Okay, thank you all for the discussion. I guess it's decision time.

zephjc wrote:Edit: I can copy-paste these numerals to the existing D'ni font so the original-style mixed-case input method can still be used.

This is what I'd like to go with. Would you? I'd appreciate it.
belford

Postby belford » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 pm

I've updated the property system, so that in-place modifications work. This means that all the usual ways of updating a list or dict should work correctly.

But there are a couple of corner cases:

- A world property (one defined by the creator) is immutable. If you define a value array in the build interface, and try to modify it in code, the changes won't stick.
- (However, if you assign a new array value in code, that becomes an instance property, which can be modified as expected.)
- If you modify a value so that it's equal to the old value, the change will not stick. For example, if you try this:

Code: Select all
ls = [0, 1, 2]
ls[1] = 1.0

...the ls property will still be [0, 1, 2] afterwards. This is because the new value is equal to the old value, according to Python's rules: [0, 1, 2] == [0, 1.0, 2]. So the property system doesn't notice a change, so it doesn't write the new value back to the database.

If you notice any property bugs (other than this one :) please report them. This is a deep rewrite of the property-handling code, so it's possible that I screwed something up.
belford

Postby KathAveara » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Is there a way to broadcast an eventloc() to multiple locations, but not the realm? for one of my Ages, I have the same message broadcast to 4 out of 6 locations, so I have to use 4 otherwise identical eventloc() functions, which I don't really like having to do.

KathAveara

Postby belford » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:15 pm

You can do this:

Code: Select all
for _loc in ('hall', 'kitchen', 'attic'):
   eventloc(locations[_loc], 'A bell rings.')

Note that I'm using "_loc" as a temporary variable name -- the initial underscore makes it temporary. This means it won't get stored to the database, so the loop is slightly faster. (And doesn't wind up creating an instance "loc" property.)
belford

Postby KathAveara » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:15 am

You mean loops have been implemented now? Yay!

KathAveara

Postby Pavitra » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Tsani-Tsina has been updated.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby KathAveara » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:27 pm

I have finally got a lunar cycle working in Elahto! If all is working right, there'll be an eclipse tomorrow.

KathAveara

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion