Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

Re: A text Myst Online project

Postby zephjc » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Though no fault of yours, the D'ni font being used has a number of really sucky number glyphs, many of which are illegible at lower point sizes (even the largest font size in Seltani still renders most of the numerals illegible. Would you accept a replacement if I provide one?

Thanks!
zephjc

Postby KathAveara » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:54 am

I've already proposed a new D'ni font for Seltani, though as a second font, not a replacement.

KathAveara

Postby zephjc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:03 pm

KathAveara wrote:I've already proposed a new D'ni font for Seltani, though as a second font, not a replacement.

Oh, nice! Is there a preview of it online?
zephjc

Postby KathAveara » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:14 am

On page 13 I posted a link to the D'ni LM font, and on page 14, I gave a comparison of the letter mappings.

KathAveara

Postby belford » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Though no fault of yours, the D'ni font being used has a number of really sucky number glyphs, many of which are illegible at lower point sizes (even the largest font size in Seltani still renders most of the numerals illegible. Would you accept a replacement if I provide one?

Can you tell me where the alternate font version is, and demonstrate the difference? Which encoding does it use?

I have three samples posted at http://eblong.com/zarf/tmp/ui-test/font-test.html

I see what you mean about the terrible number glyphs. (I hadn't tested them before today.) The other fonts look better, but use a tighter space width, which may be a problem for numbers -- you can see how the number strings run together even when I put a space between them.

KathAveara suggested the SLM fonts earlier, as she says, but nobody else has expressed interest so I haven't moved forward with that.
belford

Postby zephjc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:46 pm

KathAveara wrote:On page 13 I posted a link to the D'ni LM font, and on page 14, I gave a comparison of the letter mappings.

That's pretty good (and love that the full character set is in there!), though IMO the numerals still suffer from legibility at smaller font sizes (though its a huge step up over the current standard!) I would say, personally, that the strokes should be as thick as the "number boxes" (I forget the D'ni term for them)

The other issue is less one that won't really show up in Seltani because it doens't become apparent until around 36 point: The stroke components sometimes overlap and create inverted areas, e.g.: http://i.imgur.com/kmFuZVO.png The best way around this is to make each numeral from continuous paths rather than path components.
zephjc

Postby zephjc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:49 pm

The SLM font is a bit better, but still rather illegible at least on my display, even if I increase the browser's font size.

Kath, would you be open to a contributor altering the numerals to have thicker number components + fixing the overlap issue I mentioned?

belford wrote:

Can you tell me where the alternate font version is, and demonstrate the difference? Which encoding does it use?

I have three samples posted at http://eblong.com/zarf/tmp/ui-test/font-test.html

I see what you mean about the terrible number glyphs. (I hadn't tested them before today.) The other fonts look better, but use a tighter space width, which may be a problem for numbers -- you can see how the number strings run together even when I put a space between them.

KathAveara suggested the SLM fonts earlier, as she says, but nobody else has expressed interest so I haven't moved forward with that.
zephjc

Postby KathAveara » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Hmmm. I don't see why not. Feel free to modify it, and I will try and find out who created the LM font, since it wasn't me (IIRC, it was one of the people in the D:F several years ago)

KathAveara

Postby zephjc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:31 pm

KathAveara wrote:Hmmm. I don't see why not. Feel free to modify it, and I will try and find out who created the LM font, since it wasn't me (IIRC, it was one of the people in the D:F several years ago)

Here it is, with a screenshot of the numerals: http://i.imgur.com/OMTUg1N.png

And here it is as 12 point size: http://i.imgur.com/HY8m9h4.png

You can see the numeral lines are much thicker which should make them nicely legible at lower resolutions, and I merged all the components into a minimal number, removing overlap, etc. Finally, I regularized all the point positions based on the size of the number "windows".

I've attached the TTF file to this message.

Copyright from the font info says:

This font is copyright © Sebastian Ochs (Jehon), 1998-2003. All rights reserved.
Typeface inspired by Riven © Cyan Inc. and RedOrb Entertainment.
Attachments
DniScriptLMPS2.ttf.zip
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
zephjc

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion