Would it work to set up a DevART account?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Would it work to set up a DevART account?

Postby tachzusamm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Christian Walther wrote:Do your screenshots really turn out differently depending on your in-game gamma setting? In my experience they don’t –

If you are talking about KI-shots, photos taken with the KI, then you're right. That does not make a difference.
But when I take screenshots with Fraps - and I tested this just one minute ago to verify it again - it really makes a huge difference.
I checked with URU CC, and I experienced that effect in MOUL as well. It also applies when you record videos.

Gamma_low.jpg
Gamma set to minimum
Gamma_low.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 3503 times

Gamma-high.jpg
Gamma set to maximum
Gamma-high.jpg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 3503 times

The above screenshots are directly taken in-game with Fraps, no post-processing (except making them smaller).

I don't know if other screen recording tools work different though.
tachzusamm

Postby Afalstein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:51 am

tachzusamm wrote:
Christian Walther wrote:Do your screenshots really turn out differently depending on your in-game gamma setting? In my experience they don’t –

If you are talking about KI-shots, photos taken with the KI, then you're right. That does not make a difference.
But when I take screenshots with Fraps - and I tested this just one minute ago to verify it again - it really makes a huge difference.
I checked with URU CC, and I experienced that effect in MOUL as well. It also applies when you record videos.

Ah. Now that is interesting, because all the shots taken on the DevART site ARE from the KI. And yet they are still very dark. Interesting. I'll have to see if there is something I can do.
Afalstein

Postby dendwaler » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:02 am

For screenshots i always use greenshot.
It catches the window and never felt the need to change the gamma.
http://www.greenshot.org
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby belford » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 am

Now that is interesting, because all the shots taken on the DevART site ARE from the KI.

That's consistent, though. The game display requires a high gamma to look good, and in-game snapshots are exactly the same imagery! Presumably FRAPS is smart enough to take the current display gamma and "bake" it into the snapshots so that they look right in a normal web environment.
belford

Postby janaba » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:39 am

dendwaler wrote:For screenshots i always use greenshot.
It catches the window and never felt the need to change the gamma.
http://www.greenshot.org

Nifty, many nice features and esp. there's no need for an install ... :D

Before I've been buying Fraps two years ago for in-game shots I was using and still use sometimes 'smartision ScreenCopy', a very very old neat screen capture tool which still works perfectly well even on Win7 64-bit and it has a nice 'auto screenshot' feature ...

When I got Win 7 two years ago my screenshots went all black in-game with my tool ... That I didn't need Fraps I learned later through someone mentioning somewhere that one has to adjust antialiasing and anisotropic filtering in-game to get proper pictures with the Win 7 'print' key and/or other tools, and since then my olde smartisionscreencopy works again also in-game, but ok, Fraps is wonderful and I'm mostly using it of course ... :P
janaba

Postby Christian Walther » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 pm

tachzusamm wrote:The above screenshots are directly taken in-game with Fraps, no post-processing (except making them smaller).

OK, that’s interesting. I tested with the Print Screen key and with IrfanView, and the gamma setting did not make a difference for either. In fact, as I explained, I expect it not to make a difference, so from my point of view, Fraps is doing something fishy here. :)
Christian Walther

Postby Afalstein » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Okay, I heightened the contrast on some of the pictures. I feel like some of them lost that ethereal glow they had, but they're definitely a lot clearer now.

Say, does anyone know how to contact Andy Legate? I want to ask him for permission to post pictures of "Serene," but there's something wrong with his account.
Afalstein

Postby Afalstein » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Pictures from Serene are now up on the site. I also plan to do Vothol Gallery at some point, but that will have to wait until I can access Gehn's Shard (doesn't work because my MOUL is not up to date, and I can't update that because servers).
Afalstein

Postby Afalstein » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, hm. Where are the KI images from Gehn's Shard stored? I want to display the pictures I took of the Vothol Gallery in Gehn's Shard (It has some things not in the Deep Island Shard) but I can't find where the pictures I took are stored.
Afalstein

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:46 am

Should be C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Uru - Gehn Shard\KIimages
Sirius

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion