Updating Uru Official Thread (AKA MOULagain isn't dead yet!)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Updating Uru Official Thread (AKA MOULagain isn't dead yet!)

Postby cskid13 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Before the OpenUru team took over the updating of the Cyan server of MOULagain, there have been small updates, and also plans, but they are not anything like MOUL before its abandonment. Since the OpenUru team can update the Cyan server regularly, we should help them to do so, and I think that we should also expand the areas to be explored. I miss the thrill of one day stumbling upon a new age (even a new Journey)! In the golden days, the Cyan server was updated often with new content.
Currently, OpenUru has plans to create another Journey (called David's Journey), but they have barely started. Most of their plans are still in the concept stage. I suggest that while they are working, we work to update the existing ages. Here are some ways we could do this:

-We can change small things in some of the ages (such as making the stone in Eder Delin stop rotating).
-We can activate The Wall in Gahreesen. We have the code!
-We can add Vothol Galery to City Locations.
-We can start to develop the areas behind locked doors (by importing and re-exporting): Locked doors in Gahreesen, Ae'gura, and other places.
-We can escape the pod in Payiferen.
-We can make new shirts and Relto Pages. We know how to do this!
-We can expand Descent to start in Cleft and end in Ae'gura.
-We can fix the Watcher's Pub.
-We can continue the plans of the DRC that they left on their website: http://www.drcsite.org

Sorry if this sounded like a rant.

Is there a possibility that we can ask Cyan what their plans were going to be? I know that people say that we can't expect help from Cyan. I am actually going to be in Spokane, WA very soon, and I could stop by their headquarters and possibly interview someone.

I might request a subforum for this topic.
cskid13

Re: Updating Uru Official Thread (AKA MOULagain isn't dead y

Postby Afalstein » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 pm

I would love to get the wall in Gahressen activated, though I feel it would still lack of its full potential, as Gahressen is no longer a multiplayer Age. Still, it'd be a new area. Maybe put a new shirt at the top of the wall to reward explorers. Or a new relto page.

Expanding Descent to include Cleft and Aegura may be a bit more... ambitious than you think. I mean, if you look at maps from the Book of Ti'ana, there's a LOT more to that tunnel system. I suppose the D'ni of Uru isn't quite the D'ni of the books (for starters, it's not in Arabia), but it still seems like the distance should be more or less consistent.

It would be cool if we could unlock some of those doors, but I don't know if escaping the pod is such a practical idea... aren't those there to look at animals or something? Escaping the pods would have all sorts of problems.

Part of the bigger problem, as I understand it, is that Cyan has problems with us altering their existing models in Uru. We could probably add the VOthol gallery pretty easily, but the rest of these changes require direct manipulation of the Cyan Ages, which seems like it might run into some legal problems.
Afalstein

Postby Mystler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:00 am

The Open Cave has basic support for the Wall in Gahreesen already.

But generally, I'd say for all of your points: Do it if you want to, patches are always welcome. ;)
Mystler

Postby cskid13 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:14 am

Is fan content allowed on the Minkata Shard yet? I know it will be. If it isn't already, then I believe that we should do what we can to push towards allowing it, because many players will not notice the tiny bug fixes, and will get bored of the same content.
cskid13

Postby cskid13 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:18 am

Mystler wrote:The Open Cave has basic support for the Wall in Gahreesen already.

But generally, I'd say for all of your points: Do it if you want to, patches are always welcome. ;)

First of all, how do I update the Minkata shard with patches? I didn't know that I could do that. Second, I still feel that we should activate the wall on the Cyan shard, because many people do not know about the other shards.
cskid13

Postby Christopher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:31 am

cskid13 wrote:First of all, how do I update the Minkata shard with patches?

First Method: You can send an Email to the Minkata-Shard Admin an if you are lucky you even get an answer which says: No.
Second Method (if you have code patches): You can make a Pull request at the github repository. If it is accepted it may be ported to Minkata for testing and finally find it's way into MOULa (after 0.5-2 years)

The second Methode is much more likly to have succes. (Depending on what patches you are commiting)

cskid13 wrote: I still feel that we should activate the wall on the Cyan shard, because many people do not know about the other shards.

The code I wrote to get the Wall working again is between terrible and absolutly chaotic. There are also still a lot of bugs. That's why the code wasn't excepted by the H-uru team on github, which means it won't come into MOULa in the forseeable future.

Sorry if I crushed your expectations, but that's the reality ;)

Christopher
Christopher

Postby cskid13 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks! My hopes aren't crushed yet! Is the code available somewhere? If we can fix the code, then we could try to resubmit it. Sure, it will be a lot of work, but it's worth it!
cskid13

Postby Christopher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 am

Christopher wrote:code I wrote

That's a link to the code ;)

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Sirius » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:09 am

Christopher wrote:code I wrote
The bugs are still related to the Python script ? Did you try the version I posted ? It's based on the one I did for DI (which appears to work fine), but reworked for MOUL. Might be it could solve some of these issues ?
Sirius

Postby Christopher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 pm

No, I havn't tried your version. To be honest I forgot about your file. The biggest problem is not the python file itself, but the workarounds I had to make for some problems with the PRP files (missing regions etc.)

I am currently also working on another project, so I think I won't have the time to take a look at your file :( But maybe someone else will find this time.

Christopher
Christopher

Next

Return to General Discussion