Seltani: Rearranging the gallery

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Seltani: Rearranging the gallery

Postby belford » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:26 pm

(First thread is getting towards 30 pages. Let's see if a new one works out...)

I moved a few more links from "recent additions" to the "larger collection" shelf. The gallery is up to 25 contributed links, though. This is clearly awesome (thank you all!) but it's also clearly getting to be time for a new scheme.

Korvichtav seems to be working out. How about I offer three shelves in the gallery:

- A few nice-looking examples, both mine and other folks'
- A link to Korvichtav (as the primary book collection) and Goldspring (my own book collection)
- Recent additions.

As more library Ages appear in the future, I'll add them to the middle shelf.
belford

Re: Seltani: Rearranging the gallery

Postby belford » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Also, a word about Korvichtav -- wearing my designer hat, not my administrator hat:

I think it would work better if the subdivisions ("Home Ages", "Public Resources", etc) were visible in the main description rather than being in shelf descriptions. The main room description is short, and it wouldn't be overcrowded if the four walls were separate paragraphs (with the subdivisions directly named).

Of course this may need revisiting if the library grows so much that there are *dozens* of subdivisions. But we're not there yet.
belford

Postby KathAveara » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:13 am

I think your plan for the Seltani Gallery would work really well.
Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

Postby belford » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 pm

I have reorganized the gallery as threatened. :)

The Gallery lists are now:
- Leafspin, Tenyo, Ter Tomahn, Frosthold, Eddis
- Korvichtav, Slate, Goldspring
- (recent additions, as before)

This meant clearing out the previous "Community Ages" shelf. I transferred a handful of links to Korvichtav's "New Unsorted" list (even though they're not new), because I didn't see them elsewhere in Korvichtav and I didn't want them to get lost.

I also added some of my Ages to Korvichtav. A couple are still missing. I feel like there should be at least one more category: "Observation". Maybe "Small Experiments" too. (Starflake isn't exactly a garden, right?)

Finally, I've posted one new Age of my own: Fleuven. This is an observation platform, but a moving one; if you drop by periodically, you'll see the scenery change.
belford

Postby KathAveara » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm

@Belford (Urgent!!!): Calum can't log in to Seltani, but the password recovery system has not been implemented. Please implement it quickly.
Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

Postby belford » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Hm drat.

Tell him to contact me by private message here, or on the mystonline.com forums, or by email. I can set a password manually to an agreed-on value.
belford

Postby belford » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 pm

A second demonstration of generated text: the Endless Cave. 10000 rooms, all (probably) different.

After dinner, I'll add a wiki page showing the Endless Cave source code.
belford

Postby belford » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

I think I've fixed the bug that was generating "KeyError" on complicated property operations. Hopefully I haven't broken anything else. If you spot a property behaving badly, let me know.

I've also added an account page (click on your name in the top corner, or "My Account" on the front page). This offers a "Change Password" option. This is not the same as password *recovery*, but at least you can change your password once you're logged in.
belford

Postby belford » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:50 am

Another thought that occurred to me: the front page could list the three most recently-created Ages.

But inevitably those would be *unreleased* Ages, so probably not a good idea?

At Mysterium there was some talk about "most popular" Ages, but I'm not sure of the best way to track that.
belford

Postby belford » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:59 am

I know I haven't been very active, but in the past couple of days I've added list, set, and dict comprehensions.

As with loops, you should use a temporary variable to avoid littering instance properties:

Code: Select all
[ _x+"!" for _x in ["one", "two", "three"] if _x.startswith("t") ]

I also recently had an idea about supporting web URLs. That is, you could generate a URL that you could put on *any* web page, which would act like a linking page. Click it in your browser, and it takes you to the Seltani site, adds the link to your booklet, and brings it up as focus. If you're not logged in, you'd go through the regular login/register dance and then find the link in your initial booklet.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can address that feature, but it has potential, I think...
belford

Next

Return to General Discussion