A peice of advice to the various projects.

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

A peice of advice to the various projects.

Postby Lehm » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:52 pm

I know it's exciting to get a new project going and all. But I've seen one thing that concerns me. You don't need everyone at once. Take the time to plan it out right before getting a team involved. For example whats the point of having 3d modelers if nothing has been concepted yet? If they start building stuff, and the concept changes all that work is for not. That can easily lead to fustration on the team. Instead I encourage those looking to start a project to create an indepth design document first detailing what the age will be before soliciting help. Then once you have that, see if some artists want to help you concept the age. Then get builders involved. Sure the beginning process will go slower, and is a little more boring, but it will be a huge help to later processes, and will result in a more cohesive end result.
Lehm

Re: A peice of advice to the various projects.

Postby DaveRamos » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:22 pm

I completely agree. Think of how much pre-visualization goes behind creating an animated movie. You have a rough story-script, background sketches, thousands of reference images for practically everything. You have story boards that show how the action takes place. They even make paintings and pictures that describe the mood of scenes. Without all of this, the rest of the team would not have a good understanding of what the art director wants...The more references, the better :)
DaveRamos

Postby Eschaton » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm

You can call it Eschaton's project, it's obvious who you were aiming at with this thread.

I'm not looking to set them all to "work" right away, there'd be nothing for them to do. Though, people that help bounce ideas around and are ready when the work does need to be done are an asset.

Also, I may want a scriptor this early to inform me if something is feasible or not. I don't know python, so it stands to reason I'd like to have someone who does. Modeling . . . a modeller can be JUST as effective in creating an age concept, or even moreso because you can change the position of a building, or a tree, without having to start from scratch. An artist, aside from the obvious (and more traditional) concept art, can be great for creating some of the more demanding textures (glyphs and such), and is still another person to bounce ideas off of.

I'm looking for people to be a part of this thing from the beginning, even if others don't think they have anything to offer this early in the project.

So yes, I'm STILL looking for an artist, a python scriptor, and a modeller, and hoping they show up sooner rather than later. :D
Eschaton

Postby Pryftan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:50 pm

..how was it obvious he was talking about you? I didn't think he was talking about you at all, this could apply to Yinfara just as well.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Paradox » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:54 pm

Agreed, this isn't specific to any single group; and applies to all groups, both present and future.
Paradox

Postby Eschaton » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Point taken, but I've been a bit more . . . brazen about it. It seems some have issues with my ideas, and they are entitled to, but this early in, when almost everything creates a precedent, I have to be a bit more defensive for the sake of creating what is, in my opinion, an evironment conducive to creating ages.

So, when someone creates a thread that, intentionally or not, is at odds with how I do things, you can be sure I'll jump in. The LAST thing I need is every modeller and scriptor on the board reading this thread unopposed, having it motivate them to not join my team. So, I had to come in and speak my piece.

Even if it was for a different age, any other age, if it's going to conceivably cause my group's project trouble, I'll gladly speak against it.
Eschaton

Postby Dovahn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Eschaton wrote:Point taken, but I've been a bit more . . . brazen about it. It seems some have issues with my ideas, and they are entitled to, but this early in, when almost everything creates a precedent, I have to be a bit more defensive for the sake of creating what is, in my opinion, an evironment conducive to creating ages.

So, when someone creates a thread that, intentionally or not, is at odds with how I do things, you can be sure I'll jump in. The LAST thing I need is every modeller and scriptor on the board reading this thread unopposed, having it motivate them to not join my team. So, I had to come in and speak my piece.

Even if it was for a different age, any other age, if it's going to conceivably cause my group's project trouble, I'll gladly speak against it.

You're certainly in an understandable position, and I can see how some would be reluctant to see ages being made this quickly (or teams starting up so soon, I guess is the right way to phrase it). We don't have any sort of organization, for crying out loud! (But Eschaton, I think that starting to work early on is a good idea).

Also, as Eschaton said, it isn't necessary for the modeler to only do modeling. He or she could also be an idea person. The more individuals know about an age in production, the better they will do in their particular jobs.

However, due caution and organization is also necessary. Hopefully a balance will be reached.

Dovahn
Dovahn

Return to General Discussion