Modding Real Myst:ME

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Modding Real Myst:ME

Postby jamie_marchant » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:43 am

ON-TOPIC:
I would rather see the talent here modify MOULa then RM:ME.
jamie_marchant

Postby diafero » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:38 pm

I mostly agree with what Sirius said. My favourite age in the ME is Channelwood, that looks way better than it did in the old realMyst.
I will have to check out these light shafts, I totally disabled everything in an attempt to get more than 20fps...

Also: Why did Cyan *still* not understand WASD? I mean, what's so hard about it? Instead, you have to drag'n'drop with the right mouse button to view around. That's just insane, and it almost completely killed my desire to even play the game. I mean, they already had a broken control in MystV, you may think some of them played games with proper FPS control since then... (I don't remember how the controls were in the original realMyst).

Oh, and there's a new easter egg :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby janaba » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:48 pm

diafero wrote:Oh, and there's a new easter egg :D

Awesome, thanks ... :D
janaba

Postby Sirius » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Wow ! Totally overlooked it. Thanks !
Show Spoiler

I used to say Uru has the worse controls a game could have (in first person, at least), but RMME could almost be on par with it... I guess Cyan wants to look so smart by finding "the best and most intuitive way to control the game for non-experienced gamers".
Well, you get used to it eventually, though. French people shouldn't forget to switch their keyboard layout to QWERTY (shift+alt).
Sirius

Postby diafero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:51 am

It's not just the in-game control. The person who thought it was a good idea to let people drag'n'drop the image of the game into the save slot (with a tolerance of less than 5 pixels) should never be let near a UI again. I mean, maybe that's nice when you have a touch screen, but with mouse and keyboard, it's totally unintuitive and hard to use - took me around a minute to figure out how it works at all.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 am

diafero wrote:It's not just the in-game control. The person who thought it was a good idea to let people drag'n'drop the image of the game into the save slot (with a tolerance of less than 5 pixels) should never be let near a UI again. I mean, maybe that's nice when you have a touch screen, but with mouse and keyboard, it's totally unintuitive and hard to use - took me around a minute to figure out how it works at all.

Ugh, so much re-inventing things that already worked. :(

Why not go with the Myst 5 save system? Not perfect, but it integrated well and was nicely visible and should be useable on touch devices as well.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Would it be possible to modify Myst ME to work with Uru CC
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Deledrius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Karkadann wrote:Would it be possible to modify Myst ME to work with Uru CC

How? They're still images.

It would be easier to get realMyst in CC, and that would by no means be easy. Best bet is to build from scratch. Otherwise you end up with RM:ME and the half-upgraded look.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 am

Extracting the data from Unity to put it into CC would be easier than extracting them from Plasma 1 since there are tools to do so already. But the result would still look quite horrible in Plasma 2 since it's not the same engine. Even if it doesn't have multiplayer, even if it's not really Myst, I think RMME still looks x1000 better on Unity than it would on Plasma.
However, RMME desperately needs better meshes, materials and lighting. And someone needs to fire those silly performance-heavy, ugly looking shaders and replace them with something better. I'm sure it's possible, unfortunately I know nothing about Unity :(

Oh, by the way, I think I found another Easter Egg (not sure it's really one)...
In Mechanical, have a close look at the throne in the left room...
(Originally, it was supposed to be put in the first point and click Myst (original image on this page http://mrillustrated.com/mystnotin.php) )

Speaking of Easter Eggs, you can no longer see the snowy island in the Crystal Monitor of Rime (the one you could change in real time by changing the crystal's colors).

EDIT, after replaying the game more than a year later (yeah, might seem useless to edit this post, but it's just for history).
When you play RMME with low expectations (as I did today when replaying just because I felt like it), you actually enjoy it a LOT more. There are still most of the various problems listed before, but you learn to compare it with the original RealMyst and find that it isn't as bad as I first said.
Sure, some models, textures and lighting still need a lot more work, but it's clear most of it has been improved a lot since RM. Lighting is still very nice in most Ages, there are some new meshes, etc.
Most of the visual awesomeness is still Unity's work, but still, good job Cyan. Could have been far worse.
Also, the two most annoying bugs previously mentioned have been patched:
- you can now change in-game resolution without your desktop resolution going bonkers
- you can now lock the full-FPS controls with right-click. Such a simple change makes the game controls go from "very lame" to "quite good". Was that so complicated, Cyan ? :D

Diafero also mentioned a bug in the UI when saving the game. When dropping the image on the save slot, don't forget to have your cursor over the slot. Just having 99% of the image on it won't be enough if the cursor is 1 pixel too far.

As for my complaints about shaders (sunshafts, ambient occlusion, motion blur, etc): they are still horrible, performance heavy and bad-looking. But it seems these are the default one shipped with the old version of Unity Cyan used at the time (U3 ? U4 ?). The shaders have been reworked in Unity 5, and look a bit better with less performance impact. But Cyan probably didn't have anyone knowledgeable enough to write better shaders when they worked on RMME.

As for performances, generally... Well, this has not improved a bit. Being modern with tons of features and all, Unity is performance heavy (more than Unreal, which has the same features). That's how the engine is.
However, there are some optimization methods in Unity which Cyan definitely didn't use, and that's unacceptable. For instance, even on a weak PC, the inside of the cabin on Myst should run at full speed, and yet does not. Why ? Because Cyan never bothered with telling Unity not to render the outside of the cabin while you're inside. Dead simple, but missing.
Last edited by Sirius on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 am

Speaking of Easter Eggs, you can no longer see the snowy island in the Crystal Monitor of Rime (the one you could change in real time by changing the crystal's colors).

Oh you can. Actually only while searching for why Riven would not show up there (I'm still convinced that the colour of the last crystal is purple on the sheet, not dark blue...), I found out that this island existed at all in realMyst. Now I don't have a working realMyst anymore to try it out, but well I saw some videos. It seems they changed the combination though.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion