Custom Clothing Items (and other stuff...)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Custom Clothing Items

Postby Doobes » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Afalstein wrote:Interesting. If fan-made shirts have none of the legal issues associated with fan-made Ages, this could be a ripe field for development. I'll bet lots of Explorers would love a bit more diversity in their clothing... Rhee's "future Myst fan" shirt idea is just one example of this. I know other communities have built up whole economies over the sale of virtual clothing. Uru is probably too small a community for that to work here, but it's something I can still see being very popular. And, as GPNMilano points out, fan shirts could add a real appeal to the fan Ages if they're ever added to MOUL.

Eh, even if there were a way to sell this stuff, I'd probably still give mine for free...and yes, that would include Nev's backward cap! ;)

If Blender could be utilized for this (I would think converting small items from blend to 3DS...if needed...would be relatively easy compared to a full Age), I'd be happy to model and/or texture various bits of clothing for the shards.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby GPNMilano » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Doobes wrote:
Afalstein wrote:Interesting. If fan-made shirts have none of the legal issues associated with fan-made Ages, this could be a ripe field for development. I'll bet lots of Explorers would love a bit more diversity in their clothing... Rhee's "future Myst fan" shirt idea is just one example of this. I know other communities have built up whole economies over the sale of virtual clothing. Uru is probably too small a community for that to work here, but it's something I can still see being very popular. And, as GPNMilano points out, fan shirts could add a real appeal to the fan Ages if they're ever added to MOUL.

Eh, even if there were a way to sell this stuff, I'd probably still give mine for free...and yes, that would include Nev's backward cap! ;)

If Blender could be utilized for this (I would think converting small items from blend to 3DS...if needed...would be relatively easy compared to a full Age), I'd be happy to model and/or texture various bits of clothing for the shards.

Its easy to go from Blender to 3dsMax. The difficulty is going from Max to Blender ;)
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Rhee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 am

GPNMilano wrote:
Doobes wrote:

Its easy to go from Blender to 3dsMax. The difficulty is going from Max to Blender ;)

Reeeeeally?? Oh my. I've been itching to build but just haven't got the time for full age work. Clothes and stuff however I can pick away at! Not to mention they would be good practice for my fledgling texturing skills. What exactly needs importing to blender to work on them? And what do they then need to be exported as to make the waypoint in 3DS?
MOULa 2.0: Rhee - 1544785 Gehn Shard: Rhee - 16214

No bahro were harmed or enslaved in the making of this Age.
Rhee

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:29 am

Rhee wrote:
GPNMilano wrote:
Doobes wrote:

Reeeeeally?? Oh my. I've been itching to build but just haven't got the time for full age work. Clothes and stuff however I can pick away at! Not to mention they would be good practice for my fledgling texturing skills. What exactly needs importing to blender to work on them? And what do they then need to be exported as to make the waypoint in 3DS?

The easiest way to export an age (or in this case clothing meshes) from Blender to Max is to use the FBX Method. Andy wrote a tutorial about it that you can find here It should be noted that you don't need the FBX Convertor to convert the files. This was only necessary if you used Blender 2.45.

In addition you'll want the reference meshes for the waist, neck, arms and legs. These aren't available yet in Blender. I plan to try and recreate them so that its easier for people to make new Clothing meshes in Blender and hand them off to those who have Max and can make the actual clothes. I should have these done soon.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Afalstein » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 pm

I really don't know much about Blender, nor do I really have time to learn at the moment, but I can offer some shirt design ideas if any are needed. Or not. You probably have your own thought up already, Rhee
Afalstein

Postby Rhee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:34 am

Hehe!! I'd happily take on some extra ideas, Afalstein. I do have several things in mind as it is, including some hairstyles and facial accessories, but there's shirts and pants and things too in my head.

Im tied up for the rest of this month, have to move out of the house we've been renting for the winter, but perhaps that will give Chloe time to sort out the reference files.

One other question, Chloe: does it matter which version of blender is used? Im more familiar with 2.5x (and the much more better ui) but I can get around ok in 2.49. Just so I know!
MOULa 2.0: Rhee - 1544785 Gehn Shard: Rhee - 16214

No bahro were harmed or enslaved in the making of this Age.
Rhee

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:28 am

If you are going to be creating more hair styles I would like a Native American style. See attached photo of Sitting Bull (Sioux Chief)
Attachments
1246483250-sitting_bull2.jpg
1246483250-sitting_bull2.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 5471 times
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Karkadann » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 pm

I still have my Mad Hatters hat if anyones interested, as far as hair I wonder if braids would be possible
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Deledrius » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Karkadann wrote: as far as hair I wonder if braids would be possible

If you don't mind them moving like pinned rubber... :cry:
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 am

OK there is a joke in there someplace but this is not the place for it,
I still have the hat someplace I think I left it floating in my TestAge in front of a green screen with camera region :D
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion