Custom Clothing Items (and other stuff...)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Custom Clothing Items

Postby Yali » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:02 am

I'd like to see more D'ni themed clothing to really help get people into the RP mode of "becoming the D'ni". Also, I hate modern day clothing. Check out this and this and this and this.
Yali

Postby Rhee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:40 am

The braids are a great idea, Wam! I was thinking if a few longer styles for the ladies at least, including a single braid down the back, but two braids over the shoulders I can definitely try. As Deledrius suggests, any hairstyle isn't exactly going to have a lot of "bounce", I doubt that soft body or cloth simulation will work (I may be wrong, not fully sure of what the engine is capable of in regard to avatars). I'd also love do dresses/skirts/kilts, but not sure how well they'll work either. Ill be sure to include some little shorts underneath!

If I get going on Native style braids, perhaps I could throw in some buckskins too!

Oh my, we are going to need some bigger closets hehe!

Edit to add: some more D'ni outfits would be awesome too, Yali. I was thinking some steampunk looks might be nice as well, ie blouse with corset, mandarin collar jackets, waistcoat with pocketwatch, pinstripes everywhere, lol...
MOULa 2.0: Rhee - 1544785 Gehn Shard: Rhee - 16214

No bahro were harmed or enslaved in the making of this Age.
Rhee

Postby GPNMilano » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 am

Its great to see others taking an interest in this! Rather than just make the references I've decided to implement actual meshes of the physical avatar into blender for the male and female. You won't get the bones, unfortunately, but you will be able to use a full mesh for the basic styles of clothing as follows Shorts, Tanktop and Sneakers for the Female. Shorts, T-Shirt and Sneakers for the Male. In addition there will be the head and one style of clothing hair for the Male and Female. This way you'll get the approximate size and dimensions of the clothing you'll need to emulate in your own, and be able to match the seams up with where they are on the avatar. Remember though that these seams need to be exact, no more or less vertexes and in the exact same positions as Cyan's.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:41 am

Rhee that sound GREAT

as far as bounce - the braids of NDN's like Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse were not allowed to bounce. Our hair is a badge of honor not a flamboyant fashion statement.

But I would enjoy some buckskins and moccasins also. PLUS a canteen, some rope and a climbing pike would sure be handy - LOL
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Deledrius » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:58 am

Wamduskasapa wrote:as far as bounce - the braids of NDN's like Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse were not allowed to bounce. Our hair is a badge of honor not a flamboyant fashion statement.

With or without bounce, it would look too stiff and/or rubbery in the way that Uru currently does avatar parts. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but there's definitely a very low upper limit to how good long hairstyles (or any "flowing" clothing such as robes and dresses) can look without a major overhaul of the avatars. I know there are a number of community members that don't have an aesthetic sense (or choose to keep it dormant) but I'd rather not see poorly-made (due to engine limitations or otherwise) stuff in Uru. Time would be better-spent improving the system to allow better art! :D

Wamduskasapa wrote:But I would enjoy some buckskins and moccasins also. PLUS a canteen, some rope and a climbing pike would sure be handy - LOL

Yeah, it would be nice to have those. ;) I wish we had more slots for items. Also, opportunity for real exploration instead of theme-park exploration.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Afalstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:31 pm

Yali wrote:I'd like to see more D'ni themed clothing to really help get people into the RP mode of "becoming the D'ni". Also, I hate modern day clothing. Check out this and this and this and this.

Y'know, given how half of those are DevART artists and Myst fans to boot, we could contact them and ask them for input on this idea.
Afalstein

Re: Custom Clothing Items (and other stuff...)

Postby Nev'yn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:53 pm

On a related item...would ti be possible for use to carry other items besides feathers?

1. For example, you come across a door with three oval spaces.

2. In the same Age, you have a shelf of items you can click on...It then enlarges the shelf of items like the relto bookcase (assuming you'll need a custom GUI for this), you can then click on one of the items, let's say a green glass globe. it then closes the window and updated the age state.

3. The next time you click on to look at the shelf, the globe is gone. In your inventory it now says red feather, gold winged key (you picked up in another age), and green glass globe.

3. Further on, you open desk drawer, it contains a book, a red globe, and a letter opener. Once again, you click on the globe and it closes the window. If you go back the red globe is gone. Age state updated and inventory also nows contain the red globe.

4. You go back to the door. You click on one of the spaces. Age state updates and it places a green globe in the slot. It vanishes from your inventory. Same thign for the red globe. Clearly you need to find one more. Once you do, globe is placed there it updates the Age state. You can now click on the door to open it.

Any thoughts about this? I know it's a bit low-tech, but is perhaps a workaround for our lack of ability to pick up things? Just sayin'.
KI# 14883206 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)
Nev'yn

Postby Deledrius » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:18 pm

You can do it. The game doesn't have an inventory proper, but you could easily run some logic around the SDL states between those two places for each object and infer an inventory from that. Using chronicles would be messier, since they aren't going to sync properly and could cause state issues, so I'd stick with tracking Age SDL states directly. As long as you're doing it all in the same Age you'll be fine.

To illustrate you'd have two SDL for each object: GreenGlobeShelfVis, GreenGlobeDoorVis, etc. Initial state for the former is ON, the latter is OFF. Your inventory logic checks the states, and only lists it in your inventory if both SDL are OFF. Clicking on an ON-state SDL will switch it to OFF, clicking on an OFF state one will change it to ON only if the other is not ON (that is, it's in your inventory). Should be stable and synced that way without issues.
Last edited by Deledrius on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Afalstein » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Kinda on the fence about that idea. On the one hand, I like the idea of a proper inventory and the flexibility that would offer. On the other hand... Cyan games have always stayed commendably far away from the point-and-click genre. I don't think you've ever carried more than two books in your inventory. Even in the first game, you could only carry one page.
Afalstein

Postby Deledrius » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Afalstein wrote:Kinda on the fence about that idea. On the one hand, I like the idea of a proper inventory and the flexibility that would offer. On the other hand... Cyan games have always stayed commendably far away from the point-and-click genre. I don't think you've ever carried more than two books in your inventory. Even in the first game, you could only carry one page.

It's true, and it's something I think is very appealing about them. Uru does try to stretch that paradigm as far as it can go though, by having puzzles that essentially require you to carry and move things, except without actually being able to do so. I believe that's where this desire to just do it correctly comes from.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion