is it possible to get new effects into uru engine for 2014?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

is it possible to get new effects into uru engine for 2014?

Postby maximalred » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:48 pm

what I was wondering is if cyan or anyone else could get into the source code, more stuff like flashlight option like how realMyst Masterpiece Edition has that now, I know that realmyst is now using the unity engine, but since cyan etc.. has all the source code for that too, do you think that they could apply updates into the uru engine to include stuff like

* flashlight for night mode skies into uru
* more moving sky's for uru engine and possible updating ages, to include both night and day ages into one age for players, based on realmyst 2014
* shadow effect of flying animals into uru engine on the ground plane
* updated graphics for uru based on the method realMyst Masterpiece Edition is using
* updated characters ingame based on what he looked like in realMyst Masterpiece Edition
* maybe have uru online switch over to using unity engine for players, because I am sure my pc can handle it
well that what I wish for the next update of UrU Myst Online if they ever have another update, so far the patches seem dead on the official website for Myst Online
So yes , I would even be willing to compile it from source code if I could update it myself from standard uru engine into a realmyst unity uru online etc.. upgraded looks which my pc could handle with no slow downs etc..
My pc info is
------------------
System Information
------------------

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/05/12 10:53:27 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~5.9GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32716MB RAM
Page File: 2756MB used, 34824MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices X2 cards Sli mode option included here
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 660
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 4037 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
maximalred

Re: is it possible to get new effects into uru engine for 20

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:40 pm

maximalred wrote:what I was wondering is if cyan or anyone else could get into the source code, more stuff like flashlight option like how realMyst Masterpiece Edition has that now, I know that realmyst is now using the unity engine, but since cyan etc.. has all the source code for that too, do you think that they could apply updates into the uru engine to include stuff like
  • flashlight for night mode skies into uru
  • more moving sky's for uru engine and possible updating ages, to include both night and day ages into one age for players, based on realmyst 2014
  • shadow effect of flying animals into uru engine on the ground plane
  • updated graphics for uru based on the method realMyst Masterpiece Edition is using
  • updated characters ingame based on what he looked like in realMyst Masterpiece Edition
  • maybe have uru online switch over to using unity engine for players, because I am sure my pc can handle it
well that what I wish for the next update of UrU Myst Online if they ever have another update, so far the patches seem dead on the official website for Myst Online
So yes , I would even be willing to compile it from source code if I could update it myself from standard uru engine into a realmyst unity uru online etc.. upgraded looks which my pc could handle with no slow downs etc..

Welcome to the Guild of Writers forum!

We have access to the Plasma source code; Cyan isn't actively -- or really even inactively -- working on the engine (or even the game) any longer, so any updates must come from the community. It's not compatible with Unity, though, so there's really no benefit to Uru from Cyan's switching to Unity (and now away from it and to Unreal4 for Obduction).

However, some of the things you ask for are possible. We need more developers with time to contribute.
  • Flashlights would be relatively easy, as demonstrated by the existence of the KI light (though you'd probably want a better control scheme for it). It's not really a priority currently as nothing would take advantage of it.
  • Uru already supports day/night cycles, but the majority of Ages were built with textures that don't work well with the dynamic lighting.
  • Uru has (limited) dynamic shadows. It's up to the Age artist to take advantage of them.
  • What "method" is this to which you refer? Updated graphics takes many forms. We'd need some dedicated coders to improve the graphics pipeline, and for some fixes we'd need permission from Cyan to improve the graphic quality of their Ages (and don't hold your breath on them doing it for us).
  • I assume you mean the rotoscoped Atrus. IIRC, that's a very limited effect that requires a locked camera and uses the original 1990s source video camera-mapped onto a simple mesh. It would not be suitable for the characters in Uru.
  • There's no "switching" Uru to another engine. Doing so is essentially an entire remake. Re-using the already-dated and unfinished models and textures would not improve the game just by virtue of being in another engine, either. The very nature of your question makes it seem that you're not quite familiar with what a game engine is and what it entails.

Have you tried the Gehn Shard, which continues to see updates and patches to improve the game experience? It's hosted here by the Guild of Writers, and one of our goals is to improve the engine both for the existing content and to allow new and better fan-made Ages.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to General Discussion