Shell .prp filesize / Image Compression

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby D'eux » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:28 am

Hi all

During the holiday period, I've been able to use my laptop while staying with the outlaws to make some progress on my Shell. I haven't used a great number of textures as yet, but already my exported Shell .prp file is around 11MB. I think this seems a little big for what I have so far really.

What can I do to make the overall size of the .prp smaller? Greater texture compression - is it possible?

Most of my textures are uncompressed JPGs at 512x512. I could reduce these to 256x256 I suppose. I have very few TGA's (only where I need alpha channels), but would PNGs be better.

Any .prp-shrinking advice is welcome - thanks.

-: D'eux :-
| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

Postby electroglyph » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:29 am

There's not a lot of difference in the texture formats. Your big gains come from how you plan surfaces and textures in the first place.

Avoid transitions.
Think of jpg as being made by combining the red, green, and blue colors. The more you jump from one color to another, the bigger your image file will be. If you try saving a solid white jpg and a black and white checkerboard jpg the white one will be smaller, even if both images are 512x512. If you make a house and texture it you should put seperate textures the roof and walls. Don't map everything to one sheet and leave gaps in between.

Use Compression.
You can set your jpg compression to zero and the filesize will blow way up. It's probably safe to go to 15-20% before you start to see squares out of place on the texture.

Use tiling.
Don't put a mile of image on a mile of ground. Repeat a tiling texture for land, mountains, big walls, etc.

Don't over model.
No one is going to be able to see that tree on the mountaintop a mile away. It doesn't have to be more than a flat square. If you remember Ahnonay when you swim out to the cities you find out they're only billboards. Anything you won't get close to should be that way. Don't model beltbuckles or buttons if just a texture will do. If an object must be modeled, round objects use more polys than square ones.
electroglyph

Return to General Discussion