Video camera in the Neighborhood

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Video camera in the Neighborhood

Postby philipgr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 am

Good evening

For awhile I have been meaning to ask what the video camera near the link in point in the Neighborhood in DI is doing. The laptop next to it has a orange object that moves around. I tried looking through it but i could not. Is it just for show or is it doing something?

Regards
Philip
:?: :?: :?:
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Re: Video camera in Bevin

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:03 am

At one time the camera would take snapshots of the hood and post them to a website that was controlled by Cyan. This was back in the Ubisoft days of Uru Live. It no longer does that, and the site has been taken down.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Video camera in the Neighborhood

Postby Sirius » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I was never there during these days, but there is actually some interesting stuff here...

The camera does not have any logic (I mean, no Python script to control it, and no way to click it). However, there is a "camera" object set up (not the actual visible camera, but a point in space where you could warp the third person point of view), and two animations tied to it. One is to turn a red light on, and another to make this light blink. Just like on a real camera.

I tried re-rigging the camera to actually take snapshots, but couldn't manage to make it clickable back then. Oh well... Not sure it would be of any use anyway...

However, it's interesting to notice how it's carefully pointed at the few stairs on the side of the plazza, where you could easily sit a few people so everyone would be on the pic...
Sirius

Re: Video camera in the Neighborhood

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:33 pm

That's the view that CavernCam had. I remember looking at it a few times when I was in middle school and the DRC forums were the hot place to be.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to General Discussion