Deep Island vs. Open Cave vs. Gehn

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Deep Island vs. Open Cave vs. Gehn

Postby Lord Chaos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:47 am

This may add a little to your history.

I came along to Until Uru in May of 2005, but I had been reading various forums before then. I helped celebrate the first anniversary of Until Uru in August of 2005. At that time I kept hearing about ALCUGS and HURU but the distinction was never clear to me (nothing like your post existed back then!). The shards I used were all "normal" UU shards.

D'mala came along, UU shut down... mostly. Due to various problems with D'mala and later on Gametap, some people kept their own clandestine shards. I played some fan ages, such as Takla Makan, on one of these. For years, some friends of mine and I met on this shard, until its owner closed down his whole Web presence to economize preparatory to retirement. He's now somewhere in an RV.
Lord Chaos

Re: Deep Island vs. Open Cave vs. Gehn

Postby Annabelle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:00 am

Lord Chaos wrote:This may add a little to your history.

I came along to Until Uru in May of 2005, but I had been reading various forums before then. I helped celebrate the first anniversary of Until Uru in August of 2005. At that time I kept hearing about ALCUGS and HURU but the distinction was never clear to me (nothing like your post existed back then!). The shards I used were all "normal" UU shards.

D'mala came along, UU shut down... mostly. Due to various problems with D'mala and later on Gametap, some people kept their own clandestine shards. I played some fan ages, such as Takla Makan, on one of these. For years, some friends of mine and I met on this shard, until its owner closed down his whole Web presence to economize preparatory to retirement. He's now somewhere in an RV.

Thanks LC! I heard about those clandestine shards but never visited one. I came a little bit later than you in this community, in fact almost 5 years after you, in March 2010. At that time, clandestine UU shards were mostly all down and the alcugs shards were a reality, the one that existed during 2010 was Pelishard, shutted down since a long time now.

I didn't know that UU shards permitted fan ages visits. Thanks for the info. On the Drizzle tools when we load fan ages, the earliest date is Feb 3, 2008, which of course isn't accurate since all of those ages were created before that date. It's mostly the date when Drizzle allowed fan ages importing among explorers (using URU:CC offline). The alcugs shards were developed to fill a need. Alcugs shards have always been controversial because they openly hack a game (URU:CC) to transform it into a online game. UU shards were allowed by Cyan at the beginning until they built D'mala and ask everyone to close the UU shards to all migrate to their. Alcugs shards have always been clandestine so to speak even though everyone knows about them. I had to move the discussion here from MOULa's forum because of that. And now... it seems that with one of the latest Hannah's posts on their forum, they don't want us to talk about any shards over there whether it's a legit one or not...

Alcugs shards fill an enormous gap and explorers like to visit them. Officially there are 3 alcugs shards, but Deep Island is the most active & popular of them all with 895 listed avatars (last check yesterday will playing there). There can be many avatars on one account but with GoW's forum rules, each person can only have 1 single forum account meaning at most 5 avatars each. There are always new explorers also showing the vitality of that shard, I met a 1 month old explorer yesterday!

The alcugs shards will always fill that need because even if MOULa allows fan ages in the future, they won't allow all the fan ages. Other MOUL-based shards won't have all the fan ages neither.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Previous

Return to General Discussion