Deep Island vs. Open Cave vs. Gehn

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Deep Island vs. Open Cave vs. Gehn

Postby Tweek » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:42 am

1997 was when Riven came out, and Cyan apparently started working on DIRT just after Riven. As for a playable version, well that is more tricky. It depends on what you class as playable as Cyan would likely to have had test builds and demos like Hectors Cove pretty early. 2001 or 2002 I believe is when the Authorized Explorers/Choru stuff started (not sure of exact date but I could probably find it in my archives). 2002 or 20003 is when Ubiru started (again not sure exactly but I can probably hunt a date down). There were 2 servers running at the time Ubiru and Choru. When the game went into prologue there were at first The Atrus Shard, followed by Chatherine and Achenar and on the side separate there was the Rehearsal Shard where we tested content before it was pushed live to the public.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Annabelle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks Tweek!

The only information I had that was from what I think is a trustable source was from a chat with Dangerzone one evening and he said more or less exactly what you said (now that it is written I remember :lol: ). So my 2-3 servers were referring to Ubiru and Choru then to Achenar, Catharine, & Atrus. What I wasn't able to connect in my head was that URU Live prologue had something to do with Achenar, Catharine, & Atrus shards. I remember Dangerzone told me about the Rehearsal shard as well...

I don't need to have exact dates, that's detailed enough for me, I'll make changes to my URU History Timetable later this evening. :) (I'm doing this to centralize everything in one post so I can use it as a reference)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby GPNMilano » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm

Tweek wrote:1997 was when Riven came out, and Cyan apparently started working on DIRT just after Riven. As for a playable version, well that is more tricky. It depends on what you class as playable as Cyan would likely to have had test builds and demos like Hectors Cove pretty early. 2001 or 2002 I believe is when the Authorized Explorers/Choru stuff started (not sure of exact date but I could probably find it in my archives). 2002 or 20003 is when Ubiru started (again not sure exactly but I can probably hunt a date down). There were 2 servers running at the time Ubiru and Choru. When the game went into prologue there were at first The Atrus Shard, followed by Chatherine and Achenar and on the side separate there was the Rehearsal Shard where we tested content before it was pushed live to the public.

Probably late 2001 to early 2002. DIRT/Mudpie was still running on Plasma 1 till at least April of 2001. I don't believe the Choru testers were part of the Plasma 1 testing, I don't believe Choru started till Plasma 2. But I could be wrong about that.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Annabelle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 pm

I made corrections to my "History of URU in a Flash" section of my main text. I rewrote the 3 first parts (up to 2007). You can read it and tell me if I'm writing falsities, as I said I'll rewrite them if that's the case.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Paradox » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Cyan acquired HeadSpin (and the Plasma engine) in 1998/1999. It was used for realMyst in 2000.
It appears that Plasma 2 development started sometime around May of 2001.
Choru started in mid-2002, with early versions of Plasma 2.
MOUL client source code was released in mid-April 2011.
Paradox

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:19 pm

You might be interested in reading this short history of URU
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby kaeebonrai » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:37 am

more corrections: From what i understand from /talking/ to the choruites, there was at some point, Plasma 1 testing done by a few select choruites. (Think RIUM+ etc)

EDIT: also, keep in mind. prologue was /also/ a Beta shard.
kaeebonrai

Postby Annabelle » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Thx Paradox, Wam, & Kae!

I will go through the scholar work that Wam shared with us... I'll make some modification, I already intend to change "MOSS" by "OpenURU.org's MOSS". I had forgot they were the originators of that type of server...
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby karmakettle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed timeline and comparison of different shards. I loved hearing about all the specialties and differences in gameplay on DI, TOC MOUL, and Gehn.
karmakettle

Postby Annabelle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:32 am

You are welcome :)

It reminds me though that I have still one task to do: updating my timeline.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion