Hey Everyone!!!

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Hey Everyone!!!

Postby willsonjohn90 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:26 am

Hey Everyone!!! I am new to this forum. I have joined this forum so that I can discuss on various topics related to Writing. I am a newbie in writing and would love to take suggestions from all of you.....
willsonjohn90

Re: Hey Everyone!!!

Postby Karkadann » Fri May 01, 2015 8:55 am

First I think you hafta decide if your going to be working on Blender or 3DSMax or both
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby willsonjohn90 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Karkadann wrote:First I think you hafta decide if your going to be working on Blender or 3DSMax or both

/ I think i will choose 3DS Max because one of my friend suggested me. He did'nt tell me any strong reason if you have you can tell me please...
willsonjohn90

Postby Karkadann » Sat May 02, 2015 12:00 am

I personally use Max because the interface is similar to autocad which im no expert in but I am familiar with
also Im a lousy speller and blender is a lot of coding from what I understand. With Max I get to use Cyan plug-ins, which their are a
lot of tutorials for and a lot less opportunity for my bad spelling to screw up everything, however one
of the disadvantages of using Max is Most people here are more familiar with Blender as it has a longer history with fan age writing.

I would suggest looking into the pro's and con's of both programs and choose the one that works best for you.
there is lots of info on both programs here and on other sites associated and non-associated with the Myst community
use the one you feel most comfortable with. Age writing is challenging it involves 2d and 3d graphic, coding, and creativity
at the very least, it can take a long time learn and even longer to perfect however every thousand mile journey starts with the first step

oh and welcome to the site
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Sat May 02, 2015 2:44 am

Welcome ! :D

Here is a short list of pros and cons for both programs...

3dsMax (Karkadann knows more about it than I do):
- simplicity, not hard to learn, and the plugin to export Ages to Uru uses a graphical interface
- however, the plugin is only compatible with version 7 of Max (unless some people got it fully working on later versions ? I don't remember)
- can only export Ages to the Myst online format (also used by the Gehn Shard). However, Drizzle can convert them to Path of the Shell/Complete Chronicles.

Blender:
- free
- harder to learn, but once you know how to use it you can work quite fast with it.
- the plugin only works with the old 2.49 version (the new version of the plugin is still in development).
- as Karkadann said, lots of coding ("AlcScript") to create puzzles and interactions. There are some code samples on the Wiki, but it's still very tricky to use. (Hopefully the new version will get rid of AlcScript and provide interfaces much like the 3dsMax plugin.)
- can only export to PotS/CC format. Converting it for MOUL/Gehn is possible, but a bit harder.

Anyway, if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask here ! Also, the Wiki may help with Age building altogether.
Sirius

Postby willsonjohn90 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:55 am

I think I will go for 3DS max only because its bit easy as compared to the other.....
willsonjohn90

Postby Karkadann » Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 am

This site has a wealth of info on 3ds max and the plugins however it is geared more toward Blender which the majority of the Age Writers here use.
their is a small site

http://www.writers-guild.org/Forum/index.php

which is geared more toward 3DSMax you may wanna check out, where we post some of our ideas, discovery's and other misc odds and end that might be worth checking out.
keeping in mind I don't believe any of us would be writing ages with out the info on this site
Karkadann

Postby dendwaler » Mon May 04, 2015 11:54 am

willsonjohn90 wrote:I think I will go for 3DS max only because its bit easy as compared to the other.....

Yes it is but......only in the beginning.
when you evolve it becomes harder and harder to master it.
Blender is the opposit.
It has a steep learncurve in the beginning , later all the new stuff is in its base the same as you Learned before.
So it will become easier on the long term. besides that, when you master both , then Blender will be the fastest to build In something, by far.
So for the long term i prefer Blender.
Besides of that its free. the updates are also free.
Every one knows that you also have tou use a legal copy, this becomes even more important if you want to share the endproduct with the community.
I would consider that also.
Sorry , ido not make the choise easier for you, but ..yes i am a Blender Fan.
What else could you aspect from me?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby willsonjohn90 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:57 am

dendwaler wrote:
willsonjohn90 wrote:I think I will go for 3DS max only because its bit easy as compared to the other.....

Yes it is but......only in the beginning.
when you evolve it becomes harder and harder to master it.
Blender is the opposit.
It has a steep learncurve in the beginning , later all the new stuff is in its base the same as you Learned before.
So it will become easier on the long term. besides that, when you master both , then Blender will be the fastest to build In something, by far.
So for the long term i prefer Blender.
Besides of that its free. the updates are also free.
Every one knows that you also have tou use a legal copy, this becomes even more important if you want to share the endproduct with the community.
I would consider that also.
Sorry , ido not make the choise easier for you, but ..yes i am a Blender Fan.
What else could you aspect from me?

/ You have made me more confused now it looks I need to have deep knowledge of both and then go further...
willsonjohn90

Postby Sirius » Tue May 05, 2015 6:00 am

I never used 3dsMax, but I can confirm working with Blender is quite fast once you're used to it. This is mainly because Blender uses a lot of shortcuts to switch tools, which is quicker than the interface.
In fact, most of the time I spend on making Ages is either getting PyPRP to export my materials correctly, or trying to understand AlcScript so it exports logic and puzzles correctly. So even though building meshes with Blender is fast, exporting the Age is less simple (in my case I sometimes have to spend hours to fix a single issue). Max is probably less of a headache, which means in the end both are good choices.
Maybe future versions of the plugin for Blender will make exporting easier, though.

Personally I prefer Blender since it's open source and I'm used to it, but I can understand it might not be very attractive to newcomers.

As for using a legal version of Max: since AFAIK there is no way to know if an Age is built using a legal or nonlegal version, I don't know if that's relevant to mention it. It's up to the artist to decide whether he is willing to afford the tool, and take the risk of having links to the Age removed by moderators.

willsonjohn90 wrote:You have made me more confused now it looks I need to have deep knowledge of both and then go further...
In my opinion, there is no "best" choice anyway, just pick whichever sounds better to you, and with perseverance you can build good Ages regardless of the tool.
Sirius

Next

Return to General Discussion