Myst V Re-Scored (Music Mod)

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Myst V Re-Scored (Music Mod)

Postby Yali » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:17 pm

So I made this:

Myst V ReScored

I used several tracks composed by Alain Pachins (Turjan) along with a few nods to the past (Jack wall and Robyn respectively.) I also included the Exile link sound but I'm not sure it works. If someone can figure out how to change the link sound for EoA and Uru that would be awesome. I've always wanted to use the superior Exile and Riven link sounds over the Myst-inspired Uru one. One track might not work, that being Laki-WindmillPuzzleMusic.ogg which won't switch out the original despite working in the sfx folder.

Start a new game and tell me what you think! :D

Edit: Updated with new version.
Last edited by Yali on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yali

Re: Myst V Re-Scored (Music Mod)

Postby Sirius » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 am

Heh, nice idea ! I'm quite fond of the original score, but I tried your version anyway. I only went through the Great Shaft though (and that was on the Uru version for the sake of simplicity) - so that means I only listened to five tracks in all.
I have to admit, so far it sounds very nice. It's a drastic change from the original, but it doesn't feel out of place at all - actually, it might blend with the overall mood a bit better than the original.

The few tracks I've listened to are reminiscent of both Riven and Exile.
Riven, because it feels quieter and calmer than the original score by Tim Larkin. While in Riven it made the whole thing more mysterious and intriguing, here it feels more like hushed echoes of what remains of the past grandeur of D'ni.
Also, sounds a lot like Exile since it has the same sonorities and instruments, especially when you remember Exile's intro music which was played over Atrus' speech.

Come to think of it, this blend of Riven and Exile actually sounds more like the music you can hear in Fan-Ages like Fehnir's House, Vothol or Tsoidahl Prad. It's funny, because IMHO this music feels a bit more D'ni-ish than the one from Myst V and Uru.

Anyway... Link sounds can be changed just like any other sound - however its resource should be xLink-Stereo and not xLink. xLink is used for other players or NPCs. Also just like Laki-WindmillPuzzleMusic, you'll have to run SoundDecompress for it to work (that's an optimization mechanism of Plasma - some audio files are converted to WAV into the StreamingCache folder, which override their OGG counterpart for faster decoding).
EDIT: actually, you also need to delete the WAV counterpart in the streamingCache folder - otherwise SoundDecompress won't attempt to re-convert it.
It might actually be easier for people if you also include the WAV files directly into your own mod, though.

I would also shorten some tracks a bit, like the elevator music or the ones that play on Yeesha's imagers. It's a bit annoying to shorten such great music, but otherwise they may remain too long after the action is finished. It's particularly annoying with the elevator music, since it means the Shaft music will overlap it for a while once you're out of the elevator.

Hmmm... I wish we had a place to store this kind of mod. Fan-Ages are safely stored in the DI database, and easy to install thanks to Drizzle. We should have the same thing for modifications to existing Ages or various tools that are here on this forum, otherwise they get lost in various topics or people don't want to bother to install them since it's trickier than with Drizzle.
Unfortunately, I really don't feel like adding this feature to Drizzle, since it means having to watch out for all kind of annoying compatibility issues and conflicts :(
Sirius

Postby Yali » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:01 pm

I took your suggestions and just uploaded a new version here: Myst V ReScored V 1.1
Yali

Postby Sirius » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 am

I played through more of the Ages (still on CC, I'm not planning another "true" playthough for a while). I definitely like the musics ! They are calmer than the original and might not appeal to everyone, but I really love this version. I'll keep them for future visits to these Ages, as I already know the originals by heart anyway.

My only complaint is that some of the normal musics sometime override the one currently playing. This happens in Laki'Ahn and Noloben, since it uses shorter tracks played at random. But that's rare enough to not really matter. Although it might be worth to replace some of the original musics with silent tracks as a workaround.
Sirius

Postby Yali » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Noloben was on purpose. I kept the original random tracks and added a new one in the same key as the others which is significantly longer. Its a mellow maral obe piece (I think) which suits the calm beaches.

As for Laki, yeah sometimes they overlap to great effect, sometimes not. The drums work great against the ambient pieces I think. I also shortened the imager tracks and added a silent section to the Shaft music so the Elevator music has time to finish since its so great. It also allows for some quiet ambient moments in the tunnels which I quite like.
Yali

Return to General Discussion