Questions regarding UAM

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Questions regarding UAM

Postby Karkadann » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:So, in your approximation, we should not have an open discussion about a subject as important as this? As of yet, I have seen nothing here to cause me concern from a moderation perspective. The topic remains open.

I wonder..................if it was important to Cyan I would assume they would have chimed in by now. One shard im told is more illegal then the other and yet to one extent or another they still are both illegal, but Cyan has yet to produce a cease-and-desist order for either shard. I get the feeling Cyan has given up on making any significant amount of money on Uru in general , and has moved on to more profitable ventures. The companies involved in Uru seemed to have turned a blind eye to the DI and the UAM and all of the drama for what ever reason. I understand people get offended when they feel someone is being wronged, however Cyan and UBI have yet to chime in on the topic. In the end its there word that is final, and for what ever reason they both seem to be silent on the topic, there silence speaks volumes and no one is listening. So im wondering (a rhetorical question if you will) if we where to listen to there silence on this topic what do you think its saying, and what can we learn from it
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Doobes » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Karkadann wrote:I wonder..................if it was important to Cyan I would assume they would have chimed in by now.

To be blunt, URU and its related properties are not Cyan's highest priority right now...Obduction is. If URU were still their top priority, we'd have gotten fan Ages into MOULa long ago. Also, just because they haven't said anything yet doesn't mean they condone giving away their product for free. Same goes for Ubisoft, who have larger properties upon which they put more focus these days.

Karkadann wrote:I get the feeling Cyan has given up on making any significant amount of money on Uru in general , and has moved on to more profitable ventures.

And yet Complete Chronicles is still for sale on Steam and GoG. Regardless of its earning potential to Cyan, they still expect to make some money from sales of the game or they'd just give it away for free themselves.

Deep Island, while not completely guilt-free, is a different monster since it requires you to get your own copy of the game for it to work. To quote Deledrius in this very thread:

They've looked the other way for Deep Island, likely because its admins take great care to minimize the amount of impact it has and the infringement it requires.

So yeah, not completely legit, but still much better than just giving away copyrighted material.

Karkadann wrote:I understand people get offended when they feel someone is being wronged, however Cyan and UBI have yet to chime in on the topic. In the end its there word that is final, and for what ever reason they both seem to be silent on the topic, there silence speaks volumes and no one is listening.

We shouldn't have to wait for them to give the final word. Cyan has, to some extent, given us some responsibility in how open-source URU is handled. It is in our best interests to condemn and discourage clearly illicit practices before they have to get involved.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby TrapperDave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Well this event is going forward: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=28601
Peeps will be educated if not already.
It can be justified in good faith for all who attend to own a paid for copy of URU-CC (that way they have bought the files that are required).
That way it is just a mute point where the files and content come from if everybody already owns them, they just had help installing them.
So in respect to Cyan it will be on an equal level with the Deep Island Shard and all will be OK.
I trust peeps to be honest and show their GOOD FAITH ! Others who do not will go anyways.
That is the best I can do at present until other issues are resolved.
Thank You for all the information :)
TrapperDave Ki #00151142
Lost somewhere in Elsewhere for a long time
TrapperDave

Postby Doobes » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:55 pm

TrapperDave wrote:Well this event is going forward: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=28601
Peeps will be educated if not already.
It can be justified in good faith for all who attend to own a paid for copy of URU-CC (that way they have bought the files that are required).
That way it is just a mute point where the files and content come from if everybody already owns them, they just had help installing them.
So in respect to Cyan it will be on an equal level with the Deep Island Shard and all will be OK.
I trust peeps to be honest and show their GOOD FAITH ! Others who do not will go anyways.
That is the best I can do at present until other issues are resolved.
Thank You for all the information :)

OK, I really hate pouring cold water on this all the time, but sadly, the message doesn't seem to be getting through...

A. There's no guarantee that everyone will actually buy the game in good faith as you suggest.

B. It's still using a shard that's illegally hosting the files for free.

Please re-read the whole thread. It's not that you guys purposely mean to infringe upon Cyan's copyright, but you ARE condoning a shard that does because it happens to have some newer fan Ages hosted on it and it "works better" for some.

I ask you to reconsider the party until the Age is hosted on Deep Island, or better yet, on a MOUL-based shard like Gehn, The Open Cave or Minkata. The latter path may take longer, but it's more in the spirit of what we're trying to accomplish...and it won't potentially raise the ire of Cyan's legal department.
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Korovev » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:09 am

Doobes wrote:I ask you to reconsider the party until the Age is hosted on Deep Island

And that is right now :) .
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Karkadann » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:14 am

Both the DI and the UAM have over a hundred or so fan ages. MOULa has none :cry: It would be nice if that could change :)
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Deledrius » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 am

Karkadann wrote:Both the DI and the UAM have over a hundred or so fan ages. MOULa has none :cry: It would be nice if that could change :)

Putting the food where you want the school of fish to go is certainly a good idea.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 am

Deledrius wrote:
Karkadann wrote:Both the DI and the UAM have over a hundred or so fan ages. MOULa has none :cry: It would be nice if that could change :)

Putting the food where you want the school of fish to go is certainly a good idea.

That's a great idea, but still requires a Fan-Ages Nexus to be added to MOULa. Speaking of which, how is that coming along ? :P
Sirius

Postby Doobes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:15 am

Sirius wrote:
Deledrius wrote:

That's a great idea, but still requires a Fan-Ages Nexus to be added to MOULa. Speaking of which, how is that coming along ? :P

I'm still working on the fan Age library, but work has kinda stalled on it due to real life coming up and biting me. I'm hoping to get back to it soon. As far as the fan Nexus itself, as I understand it, it still requires a boatload of Python programming.
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby TrapperDave » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:38 am

Doobes wrote: I ask you to reconsider the party until the Age is hosted on Deep Island

Korovev wrote: And that is right now :)

This is great news just in time for todays Event at 13:00 Ki.
I am in Deep Island right at the moment checking it out :)
Thanks for the heads up :)
TrapperDave Ki #00151142
Lost somewhere in Elsewhere for a long time
TrapperDave

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion