Question about logging in

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Question about logging in

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Wed May 03, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm obviously able to log in to the forum.

But I was trying to access the Sequence Prefix table, which apparently requires a separate log-in in order to enter data there....though it's stated that the same username/pwd should be used there as well.
At the main log-in page, if I enter the same username and pwd as the forums, I consistently get:

Login error
Incorrect password entered. Please try again

I've also tried the "reset password" page, where one is supposed to receive an emailed temp pwd....but there, I'm told

There is no user by the name "Emor_D'ni_Lap". Usernames are case sensitive. Check your spelling, or create a new account.

If I follow that link, I see

You do not have permission to create this user account, for the following reason:
The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Administrators.

The above is true under several different browsers, all with cookies supposedy enabled for guildofwriters.org.
Am I doing something stupid, or is it simply not possible to self-register new sequence prefixes at this time?
Or both? :?
Emor D'ni Lap

Re: Question about logging in

Postby Christian Walther » Thu May 04, 2017 4:17 am

I suspect this has something to do with the apostrophe in your user name. IIRC Tai'lahr used to have similar trouble on the OpenUru.org wiki, but I don’t remember what the resolution was. Possibly pertinent discussion.
Christian Walther

Postby Emor_Dni_Lap » Thu May 04, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks, Christian -

Based on your suggestion, I registered an alt name without the apostrophe...as you can see here.
A half-hour later, using that name/pwd on the wiki login, I get:

Login error
You have not specified a valid username

...but maybe it takes some time for a forum registration to percolate through to the wiki reg, so I'll wait 24 hours or so to check again?
Emor_Dni_Lap

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Wiki accounts and forum accounts are the same thing... Can you try resetting your password on the forum and see if that has any effect?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Wiki accounts and forum accounts are the same thing...

Are you saying that once I am logged into the forum, I should also be logged into the wiki? 'Cause that doesn't seem to be happening.

Can you try resetting your password on the forum and see if that has any effect?

Yep, reset to a new pwd in the forum's User Control Panel, and though I can still log in here, a wiki log-in results in

Login error
Incorrect password entered. Please try again.

...using the exact same info.

Also, can you tell me what I should be seeing on wiki pages to indicate I AM properly logged-in there?
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby Deledrius » Fri May 05, 2017 10:03 am

Emor_D'ni_Lap wrote:
Tsar Hoikas wrote:Wiki accounts and forum accounts are the same thing...

Are you saying that once I am logged into the forum, I should also be logged into the wiki? 'Cause that doesn't seem to be happening.

No, it means that you use the same username and password to log in for both.

Emor_D'ni_Lap wrote:Also, can you tell me what I should be seeing on wiki pages to indicate I AM properly logged-in there?

The same thing you'll see on any MediaWiki: Your username instead of a "Log in" link under the Meta section in the menu, a "Log out" option, etc.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Emor » Tue May 09, 2017 12:23 am

It seems that while _underscores_ in usernames are acceptable for forum logins, they are apparently verboten to the wiki login system; that's the only consistent reason I can see that my previous registrations were not permitted to log in, while this one worked fine.
Emor

Postby Deledrius » Tue May 09, 2017 11:37 am

Emor wrote:It seems that while _underscores_ in usernames are acceptable for forum logins, they are apparently verboten to the wiki login system; that's the only consistent reason I can see that my previous registrations were not permitted to log in, while this one worked fine.

I wonder if you can log in to it using spaces where the username has underscores. MediaWiki does all kinds of behind-the-scenes fiddling with things like that.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to General Discussion