Korman 0.06 Question

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Korman 0.06 Question

Postby J'Kla » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:38 am

I am porting my ages into Korman.

I have Thousands of objects that need to have a collision mesh.

Is there any way to select multiple objects and add the physics to give them all just a basic collision mesh?
J'Kla

Re: Korman 0.06 Question

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 am

J'Kla wrote:Is there any way to select multiple objects and add the physics to give them all just a basic collision mesh?

Not currently, no. The bulk Plasma tools are all found in the 3D View's toolbox in the Plasma panel.

J'Kla wrote:I have Thousands of objects that need to have a collision mesh.

My first reaction to this is to suspect that perhaps they don't all individually need collision. Even if you created such an Age, it's likely to kill the physics simulation.

What is it that you're trying to accomplish? I may be able to suggest a more efficient solution.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 am

An Alcugs Version of Enobmort is available on Deep Island it started life as an discrete arrangement of 5 x 5 x 5 cubic cells

This had a snaking path through the inside with ladders joining vertical paths.

Once one block of 125 the first block was rotated 180 deg on its Z axis and joined by a corridor two entrances

Then another block was copied from the first block rotated again on the Z axis this time 90 deg and joined to the exit of the second block to the exit of this third block.

So the start has 375 discrete cubes and its grown organically from there.

There may be another option the easiest option is to make each Cube collision if not I need to make collision planes for each wall of a cube 4 times the work.

[EDIT]
I have found my cubes need Triangular Mesh
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 am

Ok in Blender I have found an add on called "copy attributes menu" Included in this it allows for the copying of Modifiers now this appears to work for those modifiers added through the normal add modifier button those that you find on the spanner button on the properties panel but not the one in physics Korman collision mesh.

Would this be difficult to add in?
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:12 pm

J'Kla wrote:Ok in Blender I have found an add on called "copy attributes menu" Included in this it allows for the copying of Modifiers now this appears to work for those modifiers added through the normal add modifier button those that you find on the spanner button on the properties panel but not the one in physics Korman collision mesh.

Would this be difficult to add in?

It might be possible to add something like that. Hoikas would know better than I.

If you duplicate a mesh, it does duplicate all the Plasma Modifiers attached too, but that only helps when you're building initially and not for geometry you've already created.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:54 am

Sorry about the delay.

Copy appears to also copy the Plasma attributes
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 am

OK Here is a variation question by default when you add the collision modifier.

The settings are:-
Bounds Type = Convex Hull
Blocks Avatar = Checked
Blocks Camera = Checked
Terrain = Unchecked
Dynamic = Unchecked
Friction = 0.50
Restitution = 0.00

Is there any way for me to either change the default or even possibly have the modifier remember the last settings used.

I am doing a lot of floor tiles I want the following changed and it is a lot of legwork.

Bounds type = Triangular Mesh
Terain = Checked

Actually having any modifier remember what the previous settings were could be useful.

This is not an issue if you are creating an age from scratch where you set an objects properties then copy the object but when the ages were created using the old methods then migrated to Korman there are a lot of objects that require new modifiers.

[Edit]
OK I risked a bit of hacking.

I Navigated to

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\korman\proporties\modifiers\physics.py

I opened this file with ConTEXT and edited

Line 49 so default="trimesh"
and
Line 56 so default =True

Then saved the file. Now when I add a modifier Terrain = True and the type is Triangular Mesh.

This could have all gone very pearshaped. :)
[/Edit]
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 am

I can see various pros and cons about the potential options there. Might be nice to have a way to copy any modifier's values to one or more on other objects in some generic way. Looks like you found a workable hack in the meanwhile. Good work with that! Just be careful about using trimesh on too many complex objects.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:01 pm

All of the objects in my ages are made from simple planes cubes or hexagonal cylinders there are no real complex curves.

I do have a lot of objects but they are all simple.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 am

In the future will we be able to use nodes for textures?

I have become conditioned to using nodes for my Non Uru use of Blender where I use Cycles for rendering.
J'Kla

Next

Return to General Discussion