Korman Ladder Tool

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Korman Ladder Tool

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:51 am

I have built the following age in Blender version 2.79

The age has been built using Korman 0.06.

Age file name Namrok.blend

Age id = 10164

Before using the ladder tool the age consisted of 4 Objects

1. A Lower floor plane
Location x = 0.0, y = 0.0, z = 0.0,
0 degrees rotation
Scale 10,10,1
Collision Modified
Triangular Mesh = Yes
Blocks Avatars = Yes
Terrain = Yes

2. An Upper floor plane
Location x = -9.75, y = 0.0, z = 6.5,
0 degrees rotation
Scale 10,10,1
Collision Modified
Triangular Mesh = Yes
Blocks Avatars = Yes
Terrain = Yes

3. A Lamp
Type = Sun
Energy = 5
Location x = 4.0, y = 1.0, z = 12.0,
Rotation x = 37 deg, y = 4 deg, z = 100 deg,

4. A default link in point built onto an empty
Location x = 6.0 , y = 6.0 , z = 6.0,

Each was given a different color but no texture.

With the cursor at x = 0, y = 0, z = 0 the ladder tool was used to create a ladder with the default settings

1. Ladder_Entry_Lower
Enabled = Yes
Loops = 0
Direction = Up
Plasma Object = On

2. Ladder_Entry_Upper
Enabled = Yes
Loops = 0
Direction = Down
Plasma Object = On

Again each part was given a different color so they can be seen in the age have also tried this without coloring the objects.

The upper plane lies flush with the top of the Ladder_Ground_Upper box as created by the ladder tool.

The age exports perfectly as Version Path of the Shell (63.12) into the dat folder of a Good old Games install of Complete Chronicles which has been pre filled with the tools and Fan ages using Drizzle.

I am able to link to the Namrok.age with the command /link Namrok

Once in the age I can climb the ladder but not descend.

I have tried changing the relative position of the upper plane with no effect.

Most of my ages require a lot of ladders 16 blender units and a few of 32 blender units and over all of the ages about 6 of 94 blender units.

What am I doing wrong?
J'Kla

Re: Korman Ladder Tool

Postby Maroonroon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Hello ;

I don't use Korman yet, but what I can read here makes me think you have to set the "Loops" for "Ladder_Entry_Lower" and "Ladder_Entry_Upper".

https://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Creating_a_Ladder

Calculating Loops

"Loops" are the number of times that the avatar moves both of its hands. To calculate loops:

Take your number of rungs.
Subtract six.
Divide by two.
Maroonroon

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 am

First I am using the default template.

Second both Up and Down are set to zero.

It climbs correctly but it does not not descend unless I fall through the upper floor then when I approach it does this weird jump then descends properly I will try changing the loop numbers and post my results. ;)

[EDIT]

Set both loop numbers to 5

OK now it gets really weird it climbs the ladder to well above the ladder and does the top exit and drops back to the top surface.

Approaching from the top surface no effect your Avatar just jumps down to the lower level.

However if you approach the ladder from behind on the lower surface your avatar magically jumps to the top surface does a ladder descent animation to bellow the lower surface and then falls.

I have no panic link set so i can do a /spawn to set my avatar back to the default link in point. :?

[2nd EDIT]
OK set loops back to 0 and climb now works to the corect position.

I tried raising the down detection region it still does the weird jump from the lower plane however the descend ends in the correct place.

[3rd EDIT]
OK so now I deleted that first template and created a new one with the cursor at 0,0,0 this time it automatically the ladder geometry dialog says
Height = 6
Width = 30
Rung height = 6
Full Width Rungs
Remaining boxes are all checked.

If you look at the physics panel for Ladder_Entry_Upper and Ladder_Entry_Lower both read as 0 loops

I re-colored the elements so I can see them in the age I added a second sun lamp under the top plane pointing upwards so I can see the back of the ladder when I am in first person bellow the upper level.

I have tried this un-colored it does not change the behavior.

I am going to try adding two templates at different z heights removing the elements for Down in the lower and up in the upper one.

[4th EDIT]
Now this is weird behavior, the Avatar climbs as expected but again you only trigger the descent if you approach the ladder from behind on the lower level at which point the avatar jumps to a level commensurate with its feet level with the bottom of the descent detection region turns and does a descent down an invisible ladder.

I have also tried exporting in the other two export options they just give me a black age with an arrow cursor that lets me /quit to exit

Can someone please try this just to see if it is not me going crazy.
J'Kla

Postby Maroonroon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:12 am

The only thing I can do (as I dont currently use korman) is to send this .blend file (in .7z archive).
I hope it will help you, but I think someone else will help you (and better).

Edit: "maroonroon_ladder.zip" removed
Last edited by Maroonroon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maroonroon

Postby J'Kla » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 am

I have about 200 ladders done with the old method I am migrating the ages created with Blender and PyPRP into ages created with Korman so I can export as Myst Online :Uru live and Ages Beyond Myst versions.

PyPRP has no issue exporting an Alcugs compatible age and if your interested if you look on Deep Island my ages Enobmort, Nilodnam and Noidrocca you may get a clue for what I am migrating.

I am in the process of trying to debug the Korman ladder creation template in the process I am reworking those ages.

So its specifically Korman help I require, your offer Maroonroon whilst appreciated its not really any help with the problems I have. ;)
J'Kla

Postby Maroonroon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 am

Oh ok, sorry.
Maroonroon

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Thank you for the details bug report, J'kla. There does appear to be an issue with the ladders created for Path of the Shell that doesn't happen when exporting to MOULa. This will need some investigation. Don't worry though, it shouldn't affect your Age building, so when we put out a fix you'll just need to re-export the Age.

Maroonroon wrote:I don't use Korman yet, but what I can read here makes me think you have to set the "Loops" for "Ladder_Entry_Lower" and "Ladder_Entry_Upper".

Those instructions need to be moved to a PyPRP-specific namespace. They don't apply to the new, simple Ladders in Korman (no alcscript required).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:36 am

Thanks Deledrius.

Its a small pain in that I am nearly at a point to duplicate and position all of my ladders and my testing is all done with PotS [SHRUG] it probably means I have to sort out a MOULa test environment but I was going to have to do that at some point anyways.

I had an issue adding in age visible numbers for each cell to investigate and I can be playing with that till a fix appears. :-)

Is there an Online MOULa shard I can or have the files added for testing and if so how do I go about getting the files posted there?

Just to get it straight

Deep Island is Alcugs that hosts fan ages created with both pre Korman Blender and 3DMax created ages exported for an Alcugs Environment

Ghen is a MOULa shard that includes finished Fan Ages like Fehnir House.

DIRTSAND is the source code to build a MOULa shard on a Linux Server.

DRIZZLE is a tool that lets you import Fan Ages ind manage them on a local instance of a stand alone URU.

MINKATA Open Uru MOULa shard for testing bug fixes (in the process of setting up access)
J'Kla

Postby Maroonroon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 am

Deledrius wrote:
Maroonroon wrote:I don't use Korman yet, but what I can read here makes me think you have to set the "Loops" for "Ladder_Entry_Lower" and "Ladder_Entry_Upper".

Those instructions need to be moved to a PyPRP-specific namespace. They don't apply to the new, simple Ladders in Korman (no alcscript required).

J'Kla wrote:

1. Ladder_Entry_Lower
Enabled = Yes
Loops = 0
Direction = Up
Plasma Object = On

2. Ladder_Entry_Upper
Enabled = Yes
Loops = 0
Direction = Down
Plasma Object = On

and

Most of my ages require a lot of ladders 16 blender units and a few of 32 blender units and over all of the ages about 6 of 94 blender units.

so yes, I was thinking that the "Loops = 0" lines didn't matches the "xx blender units" things and then that they had to be set, but I was wrong because I don't know how Korman works and it seems that there are settings in it that have no real utilities (I can be wrong), like the "Loops = 0" setting ; I apologize.

J'Kla wrote:Is there an Online MOULa shard I can or have the files added for testing and if so how do I go about getting the files posted there?

Just to get it straight

Deep Island is Alcugs that hosts fan ages created with both pre Korman Blender and 3DMax created ages exported for an Alcugs Environment

Ghen is a MOULa shard that includes finished Fan Ages like Fehnir House.

DIRTSAND is the source code to build a MOULa shard on a Linux Server.

DRIZZLE is a tool that lets you import Fan Ages ind manage them on a local instance of a stand alone URU.

MINKATA Open Uru MOULa shard for testing bug fixes (in the process of setting up access)

I think there's DestinyUru from Mystler, but I can be wrong here too.
Maroonroon

Postby J'Kla » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks Maroonroon I will look into DestinyUru

In the meanwhile I created a login for the Open Uru Minkata Shard and discovered I had a defunkt one already. (Go Figure) ;)
Last edited by J'Kla on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
J'Kla

Next

Return to General Discussion