Exploring Fan Ages

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Exploring Fan Ages

Postby Karkadann » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Korman gives you a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor, I believe its still in the alpha stages of development. the more people they can get as alpha testers, the larger variety of PC's they can get it tested on, the more feedback they can get gives them more opportunity to perfect it.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: Exploring Fan Ages

Postby Deledrius » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Justintime9 wrote:Ah, fair enough. Now I need to make a decision about age creation: do I use PyPRP or Korman? I imagine there's not many tutorials on Korman yet, so maybe I should stick to PyPRP. Though I can't find a tutorial for how to install it. Don't I have to download Python and put it in the root directory or something like that?

There are a fair number of tutorials for Korman, and we're actively updating and adding to that as we go (thanks especially to Doobes for writing a large number of them for us!).

I'm biased for obvious reasons, but I should think using the modern, easy-to-use Korman on the modern, still-supported current version of Blender would be the immediate preference for any new Ages. PyPRP is no longer being developed actively. Korman has now been around for about as long as PyPRP was when Korman was first released, and I believe it currently supports nearly all of the features available in PyPRP (with the remaining few crucial ones likely to arrive in the next update). Just being able to use the current version of Blender alone would be enough of a reason to use Korman, for me. It also allows you to export to both Path of the Shell and MOULa formats with a single .blend file, by selecting it as an option at export time. No more AlcScript either, which I expect is a big barrier for a lot of Age Builders.

Sirius wrote:PyPRP's tutorial list is here, but you should definitively go with Korman IMHO. PyPRP is a monster of the past. A few things like footprints might be missing from Korman (for now), but the simplicity and stability of Korman + Blender 2.79 is really enjoyable. Goodbye AlcScript.
Korman has a few tutorials already. Should be enough to build standard Ages, I guess. And since it's currently being developed it's very easy to ask here for help or request new features. The devs enjoy having feedback too.

We definitely appreciate the feedback, and the more artists who are using it, the better it will be. It may be cliché, but: We want to hear from you! If you need a feature or find a bug, please let us know, and feel free to ask for improvements to the wiki documentation (or make those improvements yourself, if you're able).

Karkadann wrote:Korman gives you a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor, I believe its still in the alpha stages of development. the more people they can get as alpha testers, the larger variety of PC's they can get it tested on, the more feedback they can get gives them more opportunity to perfect it.

I think Korman is probably a bit further along than this implies, but the sentiment is correct. More than a variety of systems, we need a variety of artists and workflows. We all use it in our own idiosyncratic way, so it's easy to overlook our blindspots. Doobes gives us a lot of useful answers to our questions, but it would be great to have even more! The software is still under heavy development and we can't promise we won't break things while we're still fleshing it out, but so far the times we've needed to do that has been very minimal and Korman is usually able to automatically upgrade Age files when we change things under the hood.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion