Myst V Masterpiece Edition?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Myst V Masterpiece Edition?

Postby Yali » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:53 pm

I've been thinking about an idea that's been in the back of my head for a while. Knowing the short development time and lack of funds Cyan had in developing Myst V, resulting in many fans view of it as the "worst" or shallowest Myst game, I've been thinking seeing Sirius' port of Uru into Unity that a similar project could be tackled with Myst V. That is, to port /rebuild the game in either Unity or Unreal and redesign many of its gameplay elements to better suit what Cyan would have envisioned for the grand send-off of the Atrus storyline.

For instance:

1. Add more details and interactables to remove the feeling of the Ages being bare.

2. More journals that give backstory of the bahro tablet from Atrus' point of view (how he could have later in life come to realize the Least's existence and the power of the Tablet) which would tie his character more into the game considering it's Myst V not Uru II.

3. More journals from Esher's point of view along with visual storytelling/personal objects etc so we gleam some background on him rather than him being mystery-angry-grandpa exposition man.

4. Space Yeesha's journals out more so they don't hit you as often in your exploration.

5. Extend Descent and/or incorporate the Cavern from Uru into EoA which would both extend the game's pace, allowing for the journey to D'ni a la DIRT, along with giving more non-linearity to exploration once the player reaches the Cavern. Perhaps the Takes could be placed in various locations in D'ni rather than in Direbo which would facilitate a wider range of non-linear exploration and a central hub (rather than the oh-so linear Shaft) and Direbo could be then re-purposed as an actual rest Age for the tunnels that could provide visual storytelling in some way on each of it's little islands.

6. Full screen flybys.
Yali

Re: Myst V Masterpiece Edition?

Postby Deledrius » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Sounds great, although none of these would require the massive amount of work porting it to a new engine. I'm not sure why that's part of this. A Myst V:ME would be a great idea, and could be done with the existing tools.

Yali wrote:2. More journals that give backstory of the bahro tablet from Atrus' point of view (how he could have later in life come to realize the Least's existence and the power of the Tablet) which would tie his character more into the game considering it's Myst V not Uru II.

Very excellent point. I've always thought it's a bit odd that we never really find out about his role in this, and very little of Yeesha's either. You're right that this is probably why (aside from the obvious -- because it was) that it feels more like a sequel to Uru than the Myst series.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:20 am

Deledrius wrote:Sounds great, although none of these would require the massive amount of work porting it to a new engine.

This depends on a lot of factors, actually. Like how much stuff you want to add, and whether you have Cyan's authorization for porting stuff to another engine (highly unlikely though, especially if you're going to add your own elements to it).
I wish Cyan were a bit more open minded though. Porting Uru or Myst V to another engine would be much less of a pain if they weren't so strict with their IP. I know they have reasons to be protective, but still...
Sirius

Postby Lehnah » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:26 am

This would be amazing. If a project like this did ever take off I'd be happy to help with story and any concept/ idea sketches that might need to be done. I don't have any coding/ graphics experience but I'd be happy to help where I can. :D
Lehnah

Return to General Discussion