Favicon for the forum?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Favicon for the forum?

Postby Aloys » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:33 am

I know this will be wayyyyy down the line of important things to do; but I thought a favicon for the site/forum would be a welcome addition. :)
Whenever you have multiple tabs in your browser (so, all the time basically) it is a nice way to quickly identifiy which is which.

For what it's worth, I spend 30s putting one together.
Attachments
GoW-favicon.png
favicon
GoW-favicon.png (16.89 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
Aloys

Re: Favicon for the forum?

Postby Maroonroon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 am

Last edited by Maroonroon on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maroonroon

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks. I know this is a thing that would be nice to have (and Maroonroon has mentioned it before too), but it's a matter of doing the work and finding something we're happy with. One of the things that hasn't been submitted yet is an icon that looks good at 16x16, which is (still, sadly) the first standard size for a favicon. The existing one we have (and in the file from Maroonroon) is passable, but not ideal. I never went in and did the proper pixel cleanup to make it nice and readable at that size, because it's unlikely to be used as the application icon. For a favicon, OTOH, it's a necessary step.

I think we might also like to have something to differentiate the site, the forum, and the wiki, but that's another step. Just having an icon at all would be nice. If someone wants to spend the time making one that looks good at all of the resolutions needed by all the different browsers, that would be terrific. I simply haven't had the time to do it myself, and as you note, it's easy to de-prioritize it even though it is generally quite useful when flipping through tabs.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Maroonroon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:14 pm

I don't remember and I can't check now (I'm on my smartphone). but I think the favicon.ico from me have a 16x16 icon (it's a multiple icons file).
I'm pretty sure I choosed only 32bit color deph icons, but I can do some other (8 or 4) and all of them in a single file.
If my 16x16 icon is not nice, maybe it's because the original icon I used was too small...
Give me a (at least) 256x256 png file, the sizes and color deph you d'like, and I will make the correct favicon.ico file.
This icon will contain a 256x256 png file too, like the current one does.
Last edited by Maroonroon on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maroonroon

Postby Deledrius » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Maroonroon wrote:I don't remember and I can't check now (I'm on my smartphone). but I think the favicon.ico from me have a 16x16 icon (it's a multiple icons file).
I'm pretty sure I choosed only 32bit color deph icons, but I can do some other, like 16, 8, or 4 I think and all of them in a single file.
If my 16x16 icon is not nice, maybe it's because the original icon I used was too small...
Give me a (at least) 256x256 png file, the sizes and color deph you d'like, and I will make the correct favicon.ico file.
This icon will contain a 256x256 png file too, like the current one does.

Yours does have a 16x16, but as I said, it appears to be the same one we used, which is just a procedurally-scaled image. It's fairly janky. I would like to tweak it by hand to make it readable (it's a pretty complicated image at normal sizes) and do some pixel art with it, but haven't gotten around to it. You're welcome to try and submit one. We'll want something that's clean and looks nice at that size. It's deceptively hard to make good art in so few pixels!

As for sources, the current Gehn icon uses the GoW logo in it. The source image used to make the icon can be found in the Gehn Shard repository as well.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Maroonroon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:27 am

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at them this week and give it a try. :)
Maroonroon

Postby Korovev » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:22 am

Another contestant! :D

Still auto-scaled, but from a much larger source.
Attachments
GoWfaviconKor.png
GoWfaviconKor.png (709 Bytes) Viewed 6220 times
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Maroonroon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 am

Here are my new attempts: attachment removed
Last edited by Maroonroon on Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maroonroon

Return to General Discussion