Uru Live VR and the GPL

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Uru Live VR and the GPL

Postby Sgeo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 pm

I've been working on upgrading Mystfit's VR version of the Plasma client to work with the consumer version of the Oculus Rift. Used WineD3D to convert D3D9 calls to OpenGL calls.

The main problem (besides the fact that I'm incompetent in anything involving GUI stuff or teleporting, so there's a good chance of motion sickness) is that the Oculus SDK is not compatible with the GPL. Neither is OpenVR, the main alternative.

Just today, the preliminary OpenXR spec was released, and I could switch to using that, but there's no Oculus Rift runtime for it yet (maybe there will be soon?) and there's a good chance I'll end up getting bored by the time something's ready (should be this year).
Sgeo

Re: Uru Live VR and the GPL

Postby Sirius » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am

Wow, VR Plasma sounds cool ! :)

Yeah, it seems despite the best intentions, GPL doesn't always encourage open-sourceness... That sucks. Last I checked the guys developing Dolphin were running in the same issue too.
(It's also worth noting calling "OpenVR" a completely closed source system is rather moronic from Valve's part, although that's another issue.)
Hmmm... Wouldn't OSVR be an alternative ? Although it seems more focused towards integrating custom HDMs with SteamVR, so might be unrelated...
Didn't even know about OpenXR until today, but it sounds like a great initiative from Khronos.

(... Seriously, VR acronyms are getting confusing. OVR, OpenVR, OpenXR, OSVR... :P )
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:20 pm

OpenXR looks very promising. I hope it manages to take off and solve this among many other problems it's poised to take care of.

It looks like some versions of the official Oculus SDK have had open-source licenses. I guess that's not true of the current one that you're using, then?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sgeo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:23 am

The good news is that there is now an OpenXR runtime for Oculus Rift, so I have started working on the conversion, so I can legally distribute.

The bad news is that OpenGL supposedly has poor performance on AMD graphics cards, and the Microsoft MR OpenXR runtime does not (yet?) support OpenGL, so it will be pretty much Oculus and nVidia only until I find a way to avoid OpenGL.
Sgeo

Postby zeke365 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm

I may found another source for Vr under the same license, though cost you $100 to build your own headset but here a link to it , it open source to https://www.relativty.net/relativ/ :) :)
zeke365

Return to General Discussion