Cyan's texture gallery

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Cyan's texture gallery

Postby Sirius » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:12 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:The preferred repository for the textures can be found here.

Awesome, thanks ! I'm digging into it now !

:shock: A Kadish glow tile map generator... Ae'gura's textures on average twice their ingame size... Aaaargh this is so cool ! This needs to be modded back ingame ! :D :D :D

Time to dust off Drizzle and add a new converter... (although a ModDLL for loading custom texture packs would be better. Not sure I have the skills for it though...)

(edit: typo)
Last edited by Sirius on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am

MOUL HD Remaster? ;)
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:56 am

Haha ! Nah, this will just clean up a few textures, nothing big. Let's just call it "slightly HD mod" :lol:

...Although according to some game companies, re-releasing the exact same game with no texture upgrade qualifies as "remaster" (looking at you, Nintendo). So go figure :shrug:
Sirius

Postby Maroonroon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:27 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:The preferred repository for the textures can be found here.

I don't manage to open the TGA files, neither using "Serif PhotoPlus 11" (pseudo PhotoShop) neither using "Adobe PhotoShop CS2" or "Adobe ImageReady CS2"; which program to use?
Maroonroon

Postby Sirius » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:17 am

It's a bit strange that Photoshop can't open them :shock:
XnView can open and resave a lot of files format. I use it as image viewer on my PC. It's great IMHO.
If that doesn't work, try opening the image in Notepad - if you see something like this:
Code: Select all
version https://git-lfs.github.com/spec/v1
oid sha256:96809314b964286f6144819f035f1b188144f3ca3006fc9f9a8e83db7ebf32f8
size 5502897

...Then it means Github didn't let you download the file correctly. (In which case you will need to "clone" the repository using a Git client. It's more annoying to do, but if needed I will explain how.)
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:36 pm

I just realized that you can download the files themselves correctly from our gitea instance (example). The "download zip" button seems to be broken, though. I need to update the software and see if that fixes it :ugeek:
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Maroonroon » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 am

Sirius wrote:It's a bit strange that Photoshop can't open them :shock:
XnView can open and resave a lot of files format. I use it as image viewer on my PC. It's great IMHO.
If that doesn't work, try opening the image in Notepad - if you see something like this:
Code: Select all
version https://git-lfs.github.com/spec/v1
oid sha256:96809314b964286f6144819f035f1b188144f3ca3006fc9f9a8e83db7ebf32f8
size 5502897

...Then it means Github didn't let you download the file correctly. (In which case you will need to "clone" the repository using a Git client. It's more annoying to do, but if needed I will explain how.)

Once again thank you Sirius, I'll take a look.

EDIT:
- "XnConvert" says about the image while trying to convert it "pas une image".
- "Notepad" ("Bloc-notes" in fact) says something like your "code" tag.

P.S.: And I can't even open the PSD files from the "moul-assets-master" ZIP (, of course).

Tsar Hoikas wrote:I just realized that you can download the files themselves correctly from our gitea instance (example). The "download zip" button seems to be broken, though. I need to update the software and see if that fixes it :ugeek:

Great, I'll wait for that, thank you. 8-)
Maroonroon

Postby sarpedon2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:38 pm

God just when I'm think I'm out, Cyan pulls me back in! Cyan's textures were actually one of my favourite things about Uru.

Sirius wrote:
The third announcement was that Cyan released a set of images for textures used in Uru and Myst, available to be used in fan contributed content. The number of files was overwhelming, more than 8000. Rarified set up a browser on the OpenUru website where they can be viewed. It may not be up forever, but it will be kept up as long as possible.

Now, I have a few observations:
  • This is absolutely awesome, thank you to everyone involved ! This needs to be said. Cyan's textures are really well made despite their low resolution, so this will enhance fan Ages quality a lot.
  • Some textures cannot be found ingame - for instance, the Gira fossils, billboards from the old daytime version of Todelmer, etc. I expect some DiRT stuff to be there as well. This is interesting for people who enjoy digging up cut content.
  • Textures are sometime higher-res or less compressed than their ingame equivalent. EDIT: this only happens for smaller textures. Apparently the textures browser contains no texture above 450x450 ? Is that normal ? Uru certainly has textures up to 1024x1024.

Where would I be able to find the Todelmer and DIRT stuff, the daytime of Todelmer stuff seems so interesting?
Edit: Nevermind I found them. Wow I love daytime Todelmer. In regards to retexturing the game, would it yield much difference or must other factors be taken into consideration such as lighting? In fact couldn't AI upscaling be used to create higher resolutions for certain objects?
sarpedon2

Postby sarpedon2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:40 pm

So even at a slight increase in resolution (from 225x450 to 450x900), there are improvements to overall detail. I find with certain textures (some stone or cloth textures), you get the smudging effect.
Attachments
grsnRockFormMatte04-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg
grsnRockFormMatte04-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg (264.8 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
grsnRockFormMatte04.jpg
grsnRockFormMatte04.jpg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
sarpedon2

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 am

Sarpedon, the online image gallery has downscaled textures. Cloning the repository with Git is harder but you'll get the original (higher res) images, sorted by Age :)

sarpedon2 wrote:In regards to retexturing the game, would it yield much difference or must other factors be taken into consideration such as lighting?

Are you talking about retexturing Todelmer to turn it into the daytime version ? That will require a lot more than just textures, since for instance lighting information is baked into the meshes. Otherwise, no, replacing the textures just allows increasing their resolution, there should be no big problem with it (well, aside from repacking them inside the PRPs or loading them at runtime, but this needs further investigation).

sarpedon2 wrote:In fact couldn't AI upscaling be used to create higher resolutions for certain objects?

Oh, definitely. I was mostly talking about reintegrating the original textures instead of the lower-res versions used ingame, but once we figure an easy way to replace the original textures, upscaling and texture packs would be possible too.
Although to be honest, I'm not fond of texture upscaling in general. In my experience, it just interpolates pixels and adds a random noise pattern. Unless you're using a very well trained AI, or a professional tool - and even then, you need to manually check each texture one-by-one to ensure it doesn't look worse than the original.
Still, at least the original images Cyan released have almost no block compression artifacts. That helps a lot with upscaling.
Sirius

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion