OMG, I contributed to the shard and didn't know it!

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

OMG, I contributed to the shard and didn't know it!

Postby Carl Palmner » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:36 pm

I know this post might be more appropriate in the Gehn forum, but it looks like no one has posted there in 3 years, so I'm posting here instead because there's been more activity here. I hope that's okay.

So a couple of my friends and I were discussing low-resource games we could play together online. At some point, I remembered Myst Online: Uru Live. I still had the Gehn shard installed and I sent the link to my friends. Today I was walking around, enjoying the nostalgia, and I decided to explore some of the user-created ages.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw my own words in one of the Ages! I was looking around Chiso Presniv and saw that someone had included the Heritage Documents, which started as a series of lectures given by me in MO:UL. Eventually, these were collected along with other information about MO:UL's history and the final anthology is what we now call the Heritage Documents. My lectures are still a significant portion of the final product--I think about half of the total material was written by me (but don't quote me on that, as I haven't actually sat done and done the math).

The best part is that I had no idea the Heritage Documents had been included. I actually thought they were lost when the Myst Online forums stopped being a thing. Thank you so much for preserving this! Heritage Night was a big deal for me, and whoever did this has just doubled the nostalgia value of the Gehn shard for me. I'm definitely going to show it off to my friends when I can get them to visit (hopefully tomorrow night).

You guys rock!
Carl Palmner

Re: OMG, I contributed to the shard and didn't know it!

Postby Doobes » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:41 am

Most of the credit on getting the heritage documents into the game goes to CalumTraveler, as it was his suggestion and work getting things MOULa-ready. Chiso is meant to be a collection of fan works, both Age and text, and I was happy to include them. They're great work!

And now they're there for all to see on the "big show". :)
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby CalumTraveler » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:49 am

Hey, Carl! Long time no see.

Yeah, getting the Heritage Docs into URU was one of my goals as soon as I knew Chiso Preniv was a thing. Took a bit, but it got in, and I'm glad it's there for everyone to enjoy now. :) The driving force behind HN itself- to have the documentation of the history in game- got completed with this task, and now it's in Chiso Preniv and available on any Shard that holds the age. It's a wonderful feeling, to be honest. Can't take ALL of the credit, though, they're based on the PDF work Ainia and Mal' put in, and Korov'ev did the heavy formatting work for MOULa inclusion. I just made the suggestions ^^;

I tried reaching out to you a few times during that time, but I was never sure where you were paying attention to, or where I could get in contact with you successfully, so I guess nothing made it through. ^^; Ah well. Still, glad you got a warm surprise about it! :D

I'm on the MOULa shard these days. Swing by some time, It'd be good to hang out and chat. :)
CalumTraveler

Postby Carl Palmner » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:12 pm

Hey Calum! Long time no see! I can't get the main Cyan MOULa shard to work on my PC. I think it isn't compatible with Windows 10--not sure if there's a way around that? The only shard I can get to work is the Gehn shard.
Carl Palmner

Postby Maroonroon » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:40 am

I'm on Windows 7 Pro SP1 (x64) and MOUL(a) works perfectly on it; but I already tested it on Windows 10 Family (x64) and it was working perfectly on it too.
In fact, most of you now have Windows 10...
Last edited by Maroonroon on Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maroonroon

Postby Carl Palmner » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:01 pm

Wait, really? The main shard, not Gehn? I can't get it to start. When I looked up the supported OSs, Windows 10 wasn't included, so I assumed that was the problem. Maybe I'll try again.
Carl Palmner

Postby CalumTraveler » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:18 pm

The website just needs to updated the supported specs, I think. It works on Win10.
CalumTraveler

Return to General Discussion